Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust

I bought a 2004 Honda element in Jan 2005. Within weeks, I had a windshield crack.
    Not from debris, but a type that is caused by a stress in the frame.

I thought I was stuck for 2 years until I got a letter in the mail from a Cali attorney, who was looking for 2003, and 2004 Element owners with windshield problems.

Ya man, over here.....Seems the 2003, 2004 Elements had a frame defect, that caused windshield cracks.

This attorney got new windshields for thousands of Element owners, including me.
    It took about a year and a half of class action lawsuit until Honda caved.

I have to find that lawyer's name..... this final drive issue would seem like child's play for him..
    Sig? What's a Sig?

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    It's too bad there isn't a thread that covers all bikes affected by similar problems. These defects aren't exclusive to K-bikes or R-bikes. Virtually identical threads are running in the K-bike, Oilhead and Hexhead tech forums.

When the manufacturer installs common components on different bikes, the arrangement of our web site prevents K-bike owners from commiserating with Oilhead and Hexhead owners, and vice-versa.

Any interest in petitioning the club for a new subcategory of the Tech Forum where we can talk about components our bikes share in common, regardless of engine type?
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

johnnyjs1
    Ok...so i call the dealer at 5:30 and ask for the service manager. The phone op. acts as a go between. I ask for the status of my bike, he says the clutch is removed. I ask about what the rep said, he tells me....i dont think BMW is going to cover any of the repairs, but he said he will try and get something done with his managers. I say, "Tell dave(service manager) that I will be there first thing in the morning to pick up the parts that were removed so i can get em tested." He says, "uhhhh, ummmm, call first thing in the morning". I say.."the rep. better not have taken any of MY parts with him as it is my legal right and the law that i get MY parts back if i want them." He says...."ummm I'm not sure, call dave in the morning." Looks like I'm paying for repairs myself. Way to go BMW!!! I have been advised by a friend that if the rep took my parts, I can go file a police report for theft of personal property

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjs1 View Post
    Ok...so i call the dealer at 5:30 and ask for the service manager. The phone op. acts as a go between. I ask for the status of my bike, he says the clutch is removed. I ask about what the rep said, he tells me....i dont think BMW is going to cover any of the repairs, but he said he will try and get something done with his managers. I say, "Tell dave(service manager) that I will be there first thing in the morning to pick up the parts that were removed so i can get em tested." He says, "uhhhh, ummmm, call first thing in the morning". I say.."the rep. better not have taken any of MY parts with him as it is my legal right and the law that i get MY parts back if i want them." He says...."ummm I'm not sure, call dave in the morning." Looks like I'm paying for repairs myself. Way to go BMW!!! I have been advised by a friend that if the rep took my parts, I can go file a police report for theft of personal property
    Get them hardness tested (most any gear shop can do this) and let me know what the figures are, we can compare to my figures.
    What would be really interesting is if someone were to buy a new clutch disc and input shaft and get those figures also. My guess would be that nothing has changed.
    Please keep us all posted.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Yup...just happened yesterday afternoon, 2004 R1150r Rockster with 16k...Clutch Spline Failure. Unbelievable that BMW continues to deny any problems with this
    Take legal action for the repairs!

I take it you are talking about the clutch splines on the transmission input shaft or those in the clutch disk.

These clutch splines are marginally smaller than those on a car and those on a car have far more load on them, yet I can't ever remember hearing of clutch splines failing on a car...not to mention they also don't need to be lubed a kazillion times per year.

QA seems to be a real issue!

johnnyjs1
    Just got off the phone with the dealer. Gee guess what? The Rep. said they were not going to do anything about it. . The service manager said that the input shaft was "barely worn", and it is the clutch disk that is worn. Estimate of $1200 to get it fixed. Is this something that I can do myself? I am seriously thinking of going to get my bike and doing it myself. Hurray for BMW!!!!

Estimate of $1200 to get it fixed. Is this something that I can do myself? I am seriously thinking of going to get my bike and doing it myself. Hurray for BMW!!!!
    If you're willing to take your time, sure.

See if these guys are still on-line and download the factory BMW repair manual. Then see if anyone experienced in your area is willing to help.

Repair Manual Club dot Com

And if all else fails...
    Honda ST1300
    Insert key and just drive.

ArthurKnowles
    Is this something that I can do myself? I am seriously thinking of going to get my bike and doing it myself. Hurray for BMW!!!!
    Sorry to hear that BMW decided not to help, but you can do it yourself. Many other's have already. But if the motorcycle is already apart, you may want to reconsider if you have to pay for the takedown/rebuild anyway.

If you can't find a manual online, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

rocketman
    Maybe I'm missing something here but if as you say the dealer found that the splines aren't worn and its only the clutch (which is a normal wear part) on an almost 5 year old bike, why would BMW be expected to replace it? I could see it if it was from something else failing, but clutches can wear from a number of factors that are beyond BMW's control such as the way its ridden, nothing you have mentioned seems to indicate they found another cause such as defective parts.

RM

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here but if as you say the dealer found that the splines aren't worn and its only the clutch (which is a normal wear part) on an almost 5 year old bike, why would BMW be expected to replace it?
    He stated "clutch spline wear" in the first post.

If that really is the case, the clutch disc has a flange in the center with splines that the transmission input shaft mates with. That flange would have to be pretty soft material to wear out. In the life of a disc, it shouldn't wear at all.

Now if we're talking clutch disc wear, thats another matter.

bmwmick
    Just got off the phone with the dealer. Gee guess what? The Rep. said they were not going to do anything about it. . The service manager said that the input shaft was "barely worn", and it is the clutch disk that is worn. Estimate of $1200 to get it fixed. Is this something that I can do myself? I am seriously thinking of going to get my bike and doing it myself. Hurray for BMW!!!!
    Johnny,
    I'd have to see pictures of the wear before I'd make a judgment. If the clutch hub splines are worn to the point that they are slipping on the input shaft splines, they should still cover it. If the fiction surface of the clutch is worn to the point it is slipping between the clutch plate and the pressure plate, then they are correct, normal wear.

Good luck

The service manager said that the input shaft was "barely worn", and it is the clutch disk that is worn.
    Geez its tough to get accurate information!

What, the friction material or the clutch splines are worn on the disc?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post
    If the fiction surface of the clutch is worn to the point it is slipping between the clutch plate and the pressure plate, then they are correct, normal wear.
    16K miles is not considered normal wear for a clutch disc. Of course, if depends on the rider. Most of us can go over 100K miles on a disc. In fact if there is no slip, it'll never wear at all and slip only occurs during starts and shifting.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    He stated "clutch spline wear" in the first post.

If that really is the case, the clutch disc has a flange in the center with splines that the transmission input shaft mates with. That flange would have to be pretty soft material to wear out. In the life of a disc, it shouldn't wear at all.

Now if we're talking clutch disc wear, thats another matter.
    Yes, I read that but then I also read where he just today said the dealer said the plines were Not worn... therefore NO spline failure....

and the 78 that I got in 99 had 22K on it and by 30K it needed a new clutch, everything else in there was fine so obviously the PO(s) didn't have clue how to handle a BMW dry clutch, I now have 175K on it still the same clutch, so that's 140K and still going strong..

RM

johnnyjs1
    I'm picking up the parts tomorrow....I will post pictures of Exactly what is going on. From what he stated, the Shaft splines are "barely worn" and the clutch splines on the disk are gone.