Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Another one bites the dust

johnnyjs1
    Pickin up the part on Friday...I'll get pics up ASAP

bmwmick
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjs1 View Post
    Pickin up the part on Friday...I'll get pics up ASAP
    I'll be back from the 3Flags on 9/6 or so, no rush now. )

Tilt

55,532 miles

I have doing alittle after the fact research on this spline problem after I suffered the same failure. I lost my splines on my way home from the AMA Mid Ohio races. It cost me a little over 2K with the parts and UHaul rental. I did the repairs myself so there was no labor, just a few more additions to my tool collection. From what I see, my shaft showed no evidence of being lubed at the factory. I also agree with the chap that thinks the shaft is too short. Unfortunatly, I didn't measure the replacement shaft. What I did discover is that there has been a change in the input shaft design over the years. Mine is a 2000 R1100R built post 7/2000. Meaning I had to buy the whole assembly, not just the shaft. Now the box shifts better than new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

gardner17756
    I spied a nice looking r1100s in excellant condition at Hermy's BMW dealership. For a fleeting moment I thought about discussing trading my 95 r1100rsl on it. Then I thought about this spline issue. Am I safe to assume that with 37,000 miles on my 95 that I am immune from this problem? Would it be a reasonable request to have a BMW dealership tear down and inspect the assembly prior to selling a used cycle with 26,000 miles on it? Thanks in advance.

Is this problem only the Rockster or all R-bikes and what years? I just found this thread I am looking into an R-bike and retire the K-bike.

Tilt
    I have no idea what percentage of the oilheads have this problem. I think it lives in the R1100 and 1150 models. Road test the considered bike. If the clutch feels like it's hanging up at all, don't accept the bike at book value, knock off the price of the repair, or ask the selling dealer to cover the possibility of repare for an agreed time period. The parts alone cost me a little over 1K.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Didn't one of the gurus write about this recently in one of the Beemer pubs?????
    Yes. Anton wrote a very good article about clutch spline failures in the BMW RA magazine, On the Level, about a year ago, I think. I can get the exact issue information if you need it.

Is this problem only the Rockster or all R-bikes and what years?
    No. Seems to be more common with the GS and RT's. There was a survey on the BMW Sport Touring forum and the most failures was on the 2002 RT (mine failed). But, that forum is mainly about RT's, so it will seem to have the most failures. There are other forums collecting data an failures, so the information is somewhat scattered across several forums.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150RT and 2018 Triumph Tiger 800xrx

johnnyjs1
    Quote Originally Posted by 40405 View Post
    I have doing alittle after the fact research on this spline problem after I suffered the same failure. I lost my splines on my way home from the AMA Mid Ohio races. It cost me a little over 2K with the parts and UHaul rental. I did the repairs myself so there was no labor, just a few more additions to my tool collection. From what I see, my shaft showed no evidence of being lubed at the factory. I also agree with the chap that thinks the shaft is too short. Unfortunatly, I didn't measure the replacement shaft. What I did discover is that there has been a change in the input shaft design over the years. Mine is a 2000 R1100R built post 7/2000. Meaning I had to buy the whole assembly, not just the shaft. Now the box shifts better than new.
    Your kidding right?? Yours failed going home from Mid Ohio too? We coulda held hands and comforted each other while Mother F*&@ing BMW

bmdubyou
    Belt drives sound pretty good about now huh! I Loved the belt on my old Kawasaki 440. no lube, no muss no fuss!

johnnyjs1
    Not the best pictures but here they are: