• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 Tennessee National Rally

i have my reservations at the Ramada Inn and would be very interested in a shuttle service so i could enjoy a few beers at night and not have to walk back as i refuse to drink & ride. if no shuttle service is available then there will be no beer :( for me

you bet. That idea is on the radar. We are checking to see what services of that type are available. Thanks for the tip!

Vance

Great, I did see there is a local transit company in Johnson City and that they stop running the buses around 6:15 and have around 12 buses, so maybe a deal worked with them would be of interest as a means for them to increase their revenue for the hours after they normally close. I know I certainly would be willing to shell out a few bux for a one way ride from the city out the complex during evening hours to hang out at the beer tent, and I bet many others would be interested in such a service running thru the evening into what ever closing time at the tent. (assuming it closes, that is! :lol)

RM

here's a link I found for the local transit system, you probably already have it, but if not....

http://www.jcmpo.org/transit.htm

besides their regular routes they also handle "paratransit services for individuals with disabilities, and various demand-response call-in services" so seems like they might just be receptive to a deal.

i have my reservations at the Ramada Inn and would be very interested in a shuttle service so i could enjoy a few beers at night and not have to walk back as i refuse to drink & ride. if no shuttle service is available then there will be no beer :( for me

It seems there are cab company's in Johnson City as well, we could always split the cost for one. I plan on having their number(s) in my cell phone! No way am I giving up some time at the beer tent!

RM

a cab co will work, as will splitting the cab with someone, but a shuttle bus sure sounds like more fun to me

esp. if they could make it a "party" bus with a mobile bar! (thou I rather doubt the bus company would go for that!) Ha Ha.

RM

Has any consideration been given to the idea of having a shuttle bus service running between the hotels in the area and the main event so that those that are staying off-site could enjoy an evening at the beer tent but have to worry about riding back to their hotels? I don't know if there are taxis in the area for the 2009 event or local bus service since its a pretty small community, but I might look into to that and see.

RM

This worked great for the Charleston rally. I even got to ride the bus with the now MOA president and his wife! I'd be willing to pay an extra fee to get a bus wristband.

:drink

This worked great for the Charleston rally.

Well ... see ... some of us who were at Charleston didn't think it worked so well at all.

The buses only ran to take the hotel people to the beer garden at night, not to take the campers to Rally Central during the day.

And then, when the buses DID run, they were overwhelmed with riders. Not enough shuttles, too many people.

Just sayin' .....

Wow! Well I'm certainly glad I asked...:lol

With only 12 buses in the local fleet I'm sure it doomed to failure, guess I'll just have a brew at the hotel in the evenings... Ha Ha!

RM

I went to Gillette Rally and was totally impressed on how bad things were! 1/2 mile to the showers and long lines, Porta-pottys grouped together, so few food vender's, no shade, etc. and oh yea cold water for cups only NO containers to fill and take on your hot hot rides! Cathdeac is right on the money with his advice. As I read the previous posts I can't believe the MOA selected a site without the site planning and infrastructure requirements being done before the selection, as Vance indicated.
MOA Rally's need to focus on vital bodily comfort and functions; and then events. And yes, I am volunteering for next year.

By now, next years sites will have been narrowed down. It's going to be in the west so you better get new rubber on your bike so you can go there several times during the next 18 months getting everything ready. :wave

Looking forward to a great rally!!!

Shuttl Bus Suggestion

When we do the MUFRTI Summer fire Schools in Jefferson City each year, we have the use of the Jefferson City School District buses. You may want to check with the local school district about hiring the buses and drivers.

Steve

We have them here in Pittsburgh. I've been on a couple and they are a blast.:drink

I was just up that way and stopped at Grand View Park to shoot a few pic's of my airhead with the city in the background and took a nice pano shot as well. Neat view from up there.

My better half's brother used to have a place in New Orleans on one of the streets that the famous street car named Desire used to run on from which the movie got its name. I never even knew that there was such a street car til we visited him one time. I've always liked street cars, rode one in Frisco back in 57, and they had them in Europe when I lived there back in the dim past. I also discovered that the horse drawn trolleys used to be called an "omnibus" back in the civil war days according to my great, great, great grandfather's diaries that he wrote during his visits to DC and travels on the east coast, that I've been transcribing before the ink fades into oblivion....but I'm rambling now.....

RM

Vance,
Have y'all designated an air conditioned arena for Tommy Arnold to hold his ewe-turn seminar. You know ol' Tommy is getting old and we sho don't want him working up no stinking sweat if'n he has to do a lot of demonstrations. Dang, just the though of attending this seminar makes me eyes water.:violin
Like I told you before, I will hope you anyway I can.

Outlaw

Vance,
Have y'all designated an air conditioned arena for Tommy Arnold to hold his ewe-turn seminar. You know ol' Tommy is getting old and we sho don't want him working up no stinking sweat if'n he has to do a lot of demonstrations. Dang, just the though of attending this seminar makes me eyes water.:violin
Like I told you before, I will hope you anyway I can.

Outlaw

:D We'll find him a nice cool spot ifn we can convince him to do it! And we'll be needing your help for sure! Cool Avatar pic...hmmm I think I took it!

Vance

Local Club Participation

Vance,
I belong to a local BMW-MOA chartered club, Twin Valley Riders. We are located in the Roanoke, VA area, a couple hours ride from the rally site. Since many of us will be attending the rally, what can we as a club do to help out? I'll be volunteering in First Aid again, and many other members will volunteer on thier own, but can the club also contribute?

Vance,
I belong to a local BMW-MOA chartered club, Twin Valley Riders. We are located in the Roanoke, VA area, a couple hours ride from the rally site. Since many of us will be attending the rally, what can we as a club do to help out? I'll be volunteering in First Aid again, and many other members will volunteer on thier own, but can the club also contribute?

Two of us former members of Twin Valley Riders (it is a 200 mile round trip for breakfast after we moved) and another long time BMW rider plan on going to the October 25th meeting. We hope to be able to arrange rides for the Virginia side (and a little across the line) for the rally. We all live within a h our of the rally.

Ken

Well I am planning my trip already for next year. I will be heading out of Paris,AR north to Glacier National Park in Montana. There I will be meeting my Uncle who is riding down from Anchorage,AK. Then we are going to head east and try to end up at the rally site on Fri. I would love to hear some suggestions for my route from some of you battle tested road dogs. I will say that Mt.Rushmore will be along the route. Besides that I am open to pretty much anything. Feel free to send me an email with tips and hints. I am figuring on about two weeks of riding.

Kelly
kelly.collier@us.army.mil

Hi all,

I am planning on coming, however I need to know what is there to do around Johnson City for the non-rider? I had mentioned to my wife about going to which she mentioned taking our son (6yo in 09) & MIL. They'll be in the car, I'll be on the LT.

Is it worth the trip for them? If they don't come, I'm afraid SWMBO will nix the trip.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I am planning on coming, however I need to know what is there to do around Johnson City for the non-rider? I had mentioned to my wife about going to which she mentioned taking our son (6yo in 09) & MIL. They'll be in the car, I'll be on the LT.

Is it worth the trip for them? If they don't come, I'm afraid SWMBO will nix the trip.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance!

My daughter lives in Kingsport (which is very nearby-both are part of the Tri-cities)) and her kids love both Bays Mountain and Warrior's Path. They're under a half hour away.

http://www.baysmountain.com/

http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/WarriorsPath/

Back