• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 Tennessee National Rally

Ian, consider also providing old tech cue sheets for your routes. Those of us using GMNDs and PPPLs will appreciate it.

GMND = geomagnetic navigational devices (compasses)

PPPL = printed on paper position locators (maps)

:ha

it will be the subject of at least part of an always an adventure article, and in addition to .gdb and .gpx, i'll be sure to put all that 4-letter acronym stuff in a pdf. :p

now remember... i said "always an adventure"... and as turkey tom used to say on his GS International rides, getting lost is part of the adventure.

ian

:ha

it will be the subject of at least part of an always an adventure article, and in addition to .gdb and .gpx, i'll be sure to put all that 4-letter acronym stuff in a pdf. :p

now remember... i said "always an adventure"... and as turkey tom used to say on his GS International rides, getting lost is part of the adventure.

ian

I always liked the quote from Daniel Boone who said "I've never been lost, but sometimes I've been a might bewildered". :luagh

RM

I always liked the quote from Daniel Boone who said "I've never been lost, but sometimes I've been a might bewildered". :luagh

RM

You're never lost if you don't care where you are. Besides, almost all roads come out somewhere.

I never get lost no matter where I go. I just ride untill I hear banjo music then turn around:bolt

Congrats!

Vance:

Congrats on the position. I'm going to try and make next year's rally.

It sounds very promising. I, too, am glad to hear about some local talent taking the helm. ;)

R90S Rally at 2009 National

Vance -

What is the chance of MOA Club #67 (National R90S Sport Owners Club) being able to an area set aside to hold an R90S Rally near the Vintage Display? Our first rally was in 2000 and we have held a rally every year except for 2008. We would need an area for approx. 30-40 bikes. Any help of information you can give us would be much appreciated.

John Yee

2009 rally

Vance- same here for charter club #274 chromeheads. a lot of chatter of the rally and it would be nice to have a section of at least the same size or better for this event.

Thanks
Enfoman

Hwy 441

Hey Folks, I am currently trying to plot my route from western AR to the ralley site. I was curious about HWY 441 through the Great Smokey Mountains Park. How long is that route and what is the ride like? Thank you.

Kelly

I just got back from this area. I rode over Hwy 441, Hwy 129 (the Dragon), and a really great road called the Foothills Parkway between Hwy 129 and Hwy 321. These are all very fun roads. Hwy 441 and the Foothills Parkway were particularly beautiful. Plus, they have less traffic and less law enforcement than Hwy 129.

Vance -

What is the chance of MOA Club #67 (National R90S Sport Owners Club) being able to an area set aside to hold an R90S Rally near the Vintage Display? Our first rally was in 2000 and we have held a rally every year except for 2008. We would need an area for approx. 30-40 bikes. Any help of information you can give us would be much appreciated.

John Yee

Vance- same here for charter club #274 chromeheads. a lot of chatter of the rally and it would be nice to have a section of at least the same size or better for this event.

Thanks
Enfoman

We will be working on the physical layout of all the areas by year end. Our plan is to provide "club" areas and some of these areas may be able to have display room. Once that plan is established, I will let you know! Thanks!

After putting together several "state" rallies back in my HOG days, there are lots of "tips"..

the primary one.... DELEGATE... SOON, and OFTEN.
Keep a list of names, phones, skills and abuse capacity.
Have a few "team" meetings where you "walk through" the rally from setup to deposit refund.
Do it NOW.

Include your "local authorities" in the planning.. a simpler task if you find a Motor Cop to help encourage them.

Photo Ops for the "dignitaries".. oh, don't forget to invite them and their "photog".

Invite the local Fire Chiefs... and visit firestations and Emergency Responders... ask if they will put on a presentation at the rally...

Get "permits"..... now.

Water... pure, clean water....
Shade...
Food Vendors... (you can sell 'food tickets during the REGISTRATION or at the gate)... Let the vendors put up "tip jars"... or allow them to offer "extra" food or items like suntan lotion, babywipes, chapstick, etc... "For A FEE"

Sit down eating places (with shade if possible)...

Public "facilities"... there is a place who has full "bathroom" facilities in a portable trailer!!!! Those will cost a bit more, but they will "service" the unit between visitors and leave the place clean and dry. http://www.restroomtechnology.com/

http://www.mesawasteservices.com/restroom_trailer.php

and more...

Invite some "RV" dealers to put up some demo's... if they will contribute a couple for "Emergency areas" where the Emergency Responders can hang out...

Water... cool, clear clean water...

Invite a couple "bike transport" folks to have a booth there... there will be someone who can't ride home....

Start a "local support" telephone line for folks to call if they need assistance... it may take a couple of phone lines.... but it will help coordinate should folks get separated, etc... also would be a good "triage" point should the ER folks need to contact and counsel someone....

Ask "local riders" to provide their info for use by the Rally Officials, again, in case of mechanical or other support.. .(everyone is not in the Anonymous Book).

Water... cool, clear clean water...

Cathdeac,

I guess you've never been to a MOA rally. You will be impressed!

I went to Gillette Rally and was totally impressed on how bad things were! 1/2 mile to the showers and long lines, Porta-pottys grouped together, so few food vender's, no shade, etc. and oh yea cold water for cups only NO containers to fill and take on your hot hot rides! Cathdeac is right on the money with his advice. As I read the previous posts I can't believe the MOA selected a site without the site planning and infrastructure requirements being done before the selection, as Vance indicated.
MOA Rally's need to focus on vital bodily comfort and functions; and then events. And yes, I am volunteering for next year.

I just got back from this area. I rode over Hwy 441, Hwy 129 (the Dragon), and a really great road called the Foothills Parkway between Hwy 129 and Hwy 321. These are all very fun roads. Hwy 441 and the Foothills Parkway were particularly beautiful. Plus, they have less traffic and less law enforcement than Hwy 129.

Exactly!!!

I have returned to this area three years in a row now, and rode the very roads you just mentioned, as well as others my son and I discovered.

This is a fine location for a rally!

Exactly!!!

I have returned to this area three years in a row now, and rode the very roads you just mentioned, as well as others my son and I discovered.

This is a fine location for a rally!

I strongly recommend-- at some point-- we consider the area around Brevard NC. Close to Asheville, and Hendersonville, with Pisgah and Caesars Head forests/parks right there. Clean, smooth roads with little traffic. Routes 11, 276, 215 make Deal's Gap seem "Ho-Hum". 215 crosses the BRP twice (I think) the run up C-Head is just fabulous! Top it off with a break at the top-- see if you can see the ocean from the top! Almost!!
A day's ride round trip to MT Mitchell, Cherokee, Lake Lure (where Dirty Dancing was filmed), Black MT. (RT 9-- Woo Hooo!) Visit Saluda, snatched right out of the Andy Griffith show, it could be the model for Mayberry. I swear I've heard Aunt Bea calling for Opie. Run 176 to Tryon out of Saluda-- drop 1600 feet in about 10 miles of switch back and curves that expand to two lanes (in case you get in a little too hot!) to the Side Street Restaurant for really-- really! good pizza. The train quit running last year but that was great when it would roll by, 10 ft from the building-- hang on to your beer!!
I could go on and on.
I know it's close to the previous rally but-- someday!!

If anyone just wants to go in a group or alone-- may I suggest Orchard Lake Campground (chalets and cabins available-- not a place for a loud drunken party though), or, Saluda MT Lodge. Saluda puts you in the middle of it. And the roads around it are so good, you may never get out of the area! The ride to Wards Grill for breakfast every morning is worth the trip!

215 crosses the BRP twice (I think)

Yep, I've done that.

Pick up 215 north of the Parkway and point your bike to the south. Ride up and over the ridge then down the other side. Turn around, point your bike north, and ride it in the opposite direction. You will cross the BRPW twice while riding the incredible NC state road 215.

Wozerd, I heard recently that the Western Carolina Ag Center, located on NC 280 just south of Asheville is planning to construct an enclosed, air conditioned arena. This might make the Ag center, in combination with the adjoining NC Mountain State Fairground a suitable venue for an MOA national.

Hey, we can hope.

When considering places to stay in the area you mention, don't neglect the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, right on 276 (73 miles, as the crow flies, from Gray,TN). Lovely little campground with tent sites and cabins.

www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com

Wozerd, I heard recently that the Western Carolina Ag Center, located on NC 280 just south of Asheville is planning to construct an enclosed, air conditioned arena. This might make the Ag center, in combination with the adjoining NC Mountain State Fairground a suitable venue for an MOA national.

well, now... you don't say.

i visited this site during a goldwing rally to consider it for our rally. the lack of air conditioned exhibit space was a key drawback. the camping is a little rough, too... and right next to the interstate.

but with the right upgrades, that place could work. :nod

ian

Has any consideration been given to the idea of having a shuttle bus service running between the hotels in the area and the main event so that those that are staying off-site could enjoy an evening at the beer tent but not have to worry about riding back to their hotels? I don't know if there are taxis in the area for the 2009 event or local bus service since its a pretty small community, but I might look into to that and see.

RM

Last edited:
Has any consideration been given to the idea of having a shuttle bus service running between the hotels in the area and the main event so that those that are staying off-site could enjoy an evening at the beer tent but have to worry about riding back to their hotels? I don't know if there are taxis in the area for the 2009 event or local bus service since its a pretty small community, but I might look into to that and see.

RM

you bet. That idea is on the radar. We are checking to see what services of that type are available. Thanks for the tip!

Vance

Back