• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 Tennessee National Rally

Rally Information

Vance,

I'm a new member, and I am planning to go to the 2009 Rally in TN.
Where can I find information about planned events, camping, showers, meals, hotels, etc?

Larry

Vance,

I'm a new member, and I am planning to go to the 2009 Rally in TN.
Where can I find information about planned events, camping, showers, meals, hotels, etc?

Larry

Larry, for now, just plan to be there. All your questions will be answered as the event draws closer. Camping on site will be plentiful and is the best most fun way to experience the National Rallly. And all your basic needs will be avaliable on site. If you chose to motel, then you'd prolly better hurry and get a reservation, as rooms are likely filling fast. The area has lots of off site food avaliable, as well as the greatest riding experience you can imagine!:dance

BBQ Ride

I hear a lot of talk about a BBQ dinner, but myself being from North of the Mason-Dixon would like to go find some authentic-like hole-in-the-wall BBQ joints, The kind where you have trouble deciphering whether it is a BBQ restaurant or a scrap metal junkyark.

It would be awesome if ya'll locals down there would enlighten the rest of us that dont really know what the difference between hickory and mesquite are and let us in on some of your fav. BBQ joints.

Thanks

Based on my experience at the 2008 rally, it appeared to me that the placement of the shower trailers and outhouses were based on being convenient for the vendor setting up and taking down rather than the convenience of the rallygoers.

I was camped near the airhead tent which made for a long walk to the fifty or sixty outhouses along the roadway called Windmill Drive. I believe that these should have been spread out in groups of about six or so within the camping area.

The showers were located to the far end of the property requiring a long walk or medium length walk to ride on a bale of hay to get to. Why too weren't these broken up so as to be more convenient to the entire area?

According to the map the ratio of mens vs womens showers were 2-1 If correct this seems to be considerably different from actual Male/female attendance, This would suggest that either the mens showers are overcrowded or the womens showers are much underused, which would be wasteful of rally funds.

Perhaps this can be addressed at the coming rally.

My attendance *may be* prohibited! As my wife is due with our second child on July 14th! The horror!

What a dilemma this is!:banghead

This was a BBQ dinner served at a prior National. I believe that it was included in the cost of attending the rally. I'm not aware of the attendance figures then versus now.

Attachments

• bbq dinner.jpg
    bbq dinner.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
This was a BBQ dinner served at a prior National. I believe that it was included in the cost of attending the rally

This is the ticket!:thumb

If Colorado can pulll this off, surely we can do it again at TN! I'll work the first shift if I get dibs on the front of the line for the second!

Put me down for a ticket...or two!

TN red light law

Tennessee passed a law a few years ago that allows you to take and eat your own road kill.

Never had a chance to use the road kill law but this one gets used more often.

Tennessee's red light law
Tennessee also passed this law a few years ago. It comes in handy when the bike won't activate the sensor.

The law allows motorcycles to "run" a red light in TN after stopping.

T.C.A. 55-8-110
.(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of ?º 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle

Last edited:
My attendance *may be* prohibited! As my wife is due with our second child on July 14th! The horror!

What a dilemma this is!:banghead

No dilemma. Just bring them all once the baby get here. :idea :D

:hide

But seriously, congratulations on your new addition. :clap

I hear a lot of talk about a BBQ dinner, but myself being from North of the Mason-Dixon would like to go find some authentic-like hole-in-the-wall BBQ joints, The kind where you have trouble deciphering whether it is a BBQ restaurant or a scrap metal junkyark.

It would be awesome if ya'll locals down there would enlighten the rest of us that dont really know what the difference between hickory and mesquite are and let us in on some of your fav. BBQ joints.

Thanks

Hickory and mesquite are two different woods used in cooking, both loved for their aromatic smoke that imparts a nice flavour. Mesquite is a bit more western. Both are tasty.

The conventional wisdom that I think generally applies everywhere is this:

If the sign says BARBEQUE, keep driving.

If the sign says BAR-B-QUE, only stop if there are plenty of cars parked outside.

If the sign says BBQ, stop without any worry and prepare to eat to your heart's content. :eat :eat :eat

Larry, for now, just plan to be there. All your questions will be answered as the event draws closer. Camping on site will be plentiful and is the best most fun way to experience the National Rallly. And all your basic needs will be avaliable on site. If you chose to motel, then you'd prolly better hurry and get a reservation, as rooms are likely filling fast. The area has lots of off site food avaliable, as well as the greatest riding experience you can imagine!:dance

Thanks Hank for answering for me. Been out of pocket for about 10 days or so. You are exactly right all the basics will be there. Motels are filling up so if you want 'em get in there! Here is the list again of hotels we have arranged rates with in the area. Some may have already sold out but check them out. also this is not intended to be a complete list of all hotels in the area rather just the ones we have pre-arranged rates with.

Negotiated Hotel Rates For MOA Rally 2009
Johnson City, Tennessee
July 12-19, 2009​

Hotel Double Rate Phone
Best Western $ 99.00 423-282-2161
Carnegie $ 109.00 423-979-6400
Comfort Suites $ 91.99 423-610-0010
Doubletree $ 95.00 423-929-2000
Hampton Inn $ 109.00 423-929-8000
Holiday Inn $ 110.00 423-282-4611
Jameson Inn $ 65.99 423-282-0488
Quality Inn $ 79.90 423-282-3335
Red Roof Inn $ 69.00 423-282-3040
Sleep Inn $ 72.00 423-915-0081
Super 8 Motel $ 79.99 423-282-8818
Value Place $189 per wk 423-283-0365

ÔÇó Mention The BMW MOA Rally When Booking

ÔÇó Some Properties May Be Sold Out

ÔÇó There Are Many Other Hotels In The Area. These Are The Negotiated Rates For Our Group.

And Oh Yeah...They are Waitin' On Ya Across The Street From The Fairgrounds At The Sit-N-Bull Cafe with the sammiches and greens! :dance

Make Your Plans And Come On Down for Some "Mountain Magic...Southern Style!"

Bbq

Hickory and mesquite are two different woods used in cooking, both loved for their aromatic smoke that imparts a nice flavour. Mesquite is a bit more western. Both are tasty.

The conventional wisdom that I think generally applies everywhere is this:

If the sign says BARBEQUE, keep driving.

If the sign says BAR-B-QUE, only stop if there are plenty of cars parked outside.

If the sign says BBQ, stop without any worry and prepare to eat to your heart's content. :eat :eat :eat

Good to know. I found a few BBQ joints in Johnson City, any worth a visit?

Dixie Barbecue Company
423-283-7447
3301 North Roan St.
Johnson City, TN

Firehouse Restaurant & Catering
423-929-7377
627 West Walnut St.
Johnson City, TN

Red Pig Bar-B-Q
423-282-6585
2201 Ferguson Rd.
Johnson City, TN

River’s Edge Restaurant
423-743-3713
2004 Jonesborough Rd.
Erwin, TN

Good to know. I found a few BBQ joints in Johnson City, any worth a visit?

Dixie Barbecue Company
423-283-7447
3301 North Roan St.
Johnson City, TN

Firehouse Restaurant & Catering
423-929-7377
627 West Walnut St.
Johnson City, TN

Red Pig Bar-B-Q
423-282-6585
2201 Ferguson Rd.
Johnson City, TN

RiverÔÇÖs Edge Restaurant
423-743-3713
2004 Jonesborough Rd.
Erwin, TN

We ate at the Firehouse several years ago, so I don't know how it is now. It was very good, on a scale of 10 I would rate it an 8.

Hello everyone,

I thought it may be a good idea to start this thread agic...Southern Style !![/B] [/FONT][/I]

Now, it is your turnany questions or comments?

Vance Harrelson
2009 Rally Chair

And now 27,300 hits later.......... is the beer garden going to open for early arrivals? :bar
aaaaaa

Back