• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 Tennessee National Rally

I am so psyched to be back there. Some of the finest riding in the country is right nearby. :clap

among a number of other ride routes i will be providing, i want to whip up two very special ones.... twisties nirvana... paved and dual-sport versions.

i am talking serious stuff, :evil lots of back roads you may have never found. this will be gps only.

a question to those interested in something like this... how long, mile-wise, is too long for a ride like this?

of course, there will be bail-out points....

ian

How long is long

I heard about a group the rides there regularily and basically they try to ride 350 miles a day but some days they don't make it. I'd say for this area more like 200-250 is a nice days riding.

among a number of other ride routes i will be providing, i want to whip up two very special ones.... twisties nirvana... paved and dual-sport versions.

i am talking serious stuff, :evil lots of back roads you may have never found. this will be gps only.

a question to those interested in something like this... how long, mile-wise, is too long for a ride like this?

ian

Looking forward to it! (at least the paved stuff) I'd agree with the Cap'n, right around 250 miles on pavement is a nice day ride while at the rally.

I'm staying at the sleep in and suites. A LOT of the rooms are booked already for sure. This one was in the upper $70's plus the 16.5% tax :sick

I hate humidity and after a days riding an air conditioned room rules!

ian

Depends on how close together the bars are! :laugh

RM

I heard about a group the rides there regularily and basically they try to ride 350 miles a day but some days they don't make it. I'd say for this area more like 200-250 is a nice days riding.

I led a group ride at the Chromehead Rally at Breaks Interstate Park (a couple of hours away) last weekend and we got back from our 225 mile ride dead tired. That is a long ride in the mountains around here.

I led a group ride at the Chromehead Rally at Breaks Interstate Park (a couple of hours away) last weekend and we got back from our 225 mile ride dead tired. That is a long ride in the mountains around here.

indeed, that's why i am asking. 225 miles of pure twisties will flat wear you out.

ian

Just got back from Friendship, IN and was impressed by the great selection of 2 lane roads available in TN, IN, & NC. Friendship is the home of the NMLRA so I used my cage for the trip as I've not figured out a way of transporting rifles and ammo using my bike. I will be retracing my trip in Sept riding my CLC and camping out as I go. The high 50's at night and low 80's during the day is so much better in IN than the 90deg/90% humidity here in N FL that there is no comparison,plus there is great scenery, real hills, and twisting back roads everywhere. The rally next year in TN seems far away now but I'm sure that planning the routes to/from Gray, TN will provide me hours of enjoyment. Hope to meet many of you there. Ride Safe :usa

Bozo

I don't like Bozo's and everybody needs to try the Rendezvous dry ribs once then eat their BBQ chicken.

You don't like Bozo's????? Regardless, it's great BBQ and if you're around Memphis, you should drive to Mason. Bozo's is a landmark and has been featured on the Food Channel and various other TV Food shows.

:usa

Ian, consider also providing old tech cue sheets for your routes. Those of us using GMNDs and PPPLs will appreciate it.

GMND = geomagnetic navigational devices (compasses)

PPPL = printed on paper position locators (maps)

Routes

Hey Folks, I am currently trying to plot my route from western AR to the ralley site. I was curious about HWY 441 through the Great Smokey Mountains Park. How long is that route and what is the ride like? Thank you.

Kelly

I'm staying at the sleep in and suites. A LOT of the rooms are booked already for sure. This one was in the upper $70's plus the 16.5% tax :sick

I hate humidity and after a days riding an air conditioned room rules!

I still have some rooms blocked in my name at Comfort in Johnson City, Rooms with 2 Queen Beds, Rooms with 1 king and sleeper sofa. Room rate at 79$ before any discounts like AMA. The area is expecting a large number of kids for some baseball playoffs during that week so get your rooms early! Call me at 601-466-1651 to get the details on how to get one of the blocked rooms! If i dont ans leave message.

William Biel
BMWROM
Petal,Ms.
601-466-1651 cell

Hey Folks, I am currently trying to plot my route from western AR to the ralley site. I was curious about HWY 441 through the Great Smokey Mountains Park. How long is that route and what is the ride like? Thank you.

Kelly

lovely road gets up to around 6000 feet as you cross the top of the Smokies. I think it was about an hour or two from Gatlinburg to Cheerokee with some nice twisty parts and at one end the road does a full 360 deg loop, when I saw the sign I did a double take, it shows the road going in a full circle!wtf??? turns out you go thru a tunnel, then the road starts to turn to the left thru a full 360 deg. as it climbs the side of the mountains and brings you back to a point right above the tunnel and several hundred feet higher and you continue in the same direction. I got a pic of the sign but its on my system at home. I'll have to post it later. you should do that road.

RM

Part of the fun for me at the National is to Volunteer to help.

How soon will you be taking names?

Committees will be established and Chairs for them starting in Oct. Once that is done, I expect those folks will be glad to take names! There are a whole bunch of committees and it takes time to establish all that. Watch here and or your other favorite MOA places (website, ON) for the list of committees and then contact the chair for the ones you want to help.

It will take a larger number than ever before to support this rally. Thanks to everyone that has offered so far. I urge everyone to think about where you would like to help and get in. The volunteer spirit is alive and well in the MOA! :clap

I'm gonna work the *hick* beer tent *hick*....:laugh

RM

"show me to the Bar, please show me to the bar...."

441 through great smokies national part

I'll have to post it later. you should do that road.

RM

ride it early in the morning, no matter whether you're going north to south or vice-versa.

if going from south to north, keep an eye out on a nearly all-twisty way to get to the rally from that point onward. :)

ian

Back