• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BC HU 06/08 BMW GS Video

Threeteas

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-2713850691606025323&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Tried to edit the video to the time it took to ride from the entrance to my tent. With a bit of speeding up and slowing down of the footage, I just about made it.

There's a revised version later on, edited to take into account some of the comments. This one may not play any longer. There are two other videos in this thread, just for different styles. Please take a look.

Last edited:
I was hoping for some critiquing here.

I noticed that the encoding has added two sets of artifacts, flashes when the last horse comes in and goes out. I may re encode it-I use Isquint..it's free. This was encoded on the GO Nuts setting, which with the layering I was after, may have been a bit too much to ask of it.

Last edited:
I was hoping for some critiquing here.

Well, since you asked, the music is beautiful but seems rather depressing for what must have been a fun-filled adventure, and the sepia-tone segments are too dark and need more contrast (they almost look like brown versions of theose fake 'night' sequences in old movies). Other than those items, I like it.

Well, since you asked, the music is beautiful but seems rather depressing for what must have been a fun-filled adventure, and the sepia-tone segments are too dark and need more contrast (they almost look like brown versions of theose fake 'night' sequences in old movies). Other than those items, I like it.

I thought the music might challenge the "norm".

Spiritually uplifting perhaps, plus sleepy.

I can add light to the sepia, but you did get the differentiation between the sepia sequences being the road and the colour sequences being the tangential events, so that's good.

There's a distinct difference between the visuals on my colour corrected monitor where I edit and those that I've viewed the results on. Also, the clarity of the layering, with the real time riding running behind the associated events doesn't come out as clearly especially when compressed heavily. I may rework that idea and drop the real-time footage when another sequence is running.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Woa Nellie! I have to say that was just about my favorite Motorcycle video that I've seen on this forum. Very creative.

Yes, I agree with Ben that the sepia tone appeared a bit dark, but I admired how you took the on-road footageÔÇöthe parts that one would typically expect (and only) see in the average ride report videoÔÇöand did something completely different with it.

Loved the reclining livestock and the ancillary footage. Liked the soundtrack (though personally, I'd prefer something more avant guard). This gets my David Lynch Award for best direction and editing of a video!

In the future I want to see some more surrealistic effects and possibly some midgets. :thumb Excellent work, Lamble!

Tessler, can I just commend you on your excellent taste!:p
(No money has been exchanged for that review)

Avante Garde music, perhaps next time. I hoped this track had a degree of unworldliness and serenity about it. The clarity of the singers voice is impeccable and pitch perfect.

I'll tweak the luminesence of the sepia layer and see if I can't get those two encoding glitches out at the same time.

The midget auditions start next week.

I like the music and the mood. The tea wash was dark and maybe should have become lighter as the film progressed. Your camera mount is solid with a great angle. Good on you for eliminating any shaking by stabilized the filming compared to past ventures.

This will be an interesting film application when you are on the long and lonely in Patagonia. You can end with exultation, your goal bathed in marvelous light. This will be similar to what Pilgrims some being Grand knights of Britain had to endure in northern Spain on their Camino de Santiago. The 500 miles of rough roads, and a struggle ending in a satisfaction and self fulfillment. Conveying that in a film medium would be grand for any tea party.

It seems you are requesting constructive criticism which with my untrained eye I have nothing more to add. I did met a young man at National that is another neighbor of yours who drives a GS. He did the filming for Helge's Silk Road. Perhaps you need his assistance and an intro for ideas of self expression ? Well I just emailed him anyway.

For the SA trip, I expect to have four cameras set up on the bike, which should help. The camera I used here was a POV camera, with a rubber mounted arm to the crash bars. The beauty of the pov set up is that unlike other cameras that are used for a"action" shots, this has a monitor, so you can see what you are getting as you film. The off bike shots were a standard sony tape medium camera. It doubles as a recorder for my helmet camera.

Helge's bloke...I do have an open invite to meet up with him, from Mike Paul. Time hasn't allowed that meeting to take place yet.

The HU meeting was all (post shoot) done yesterday...a day off, so I expect there's no more than 2-3 hours of editing in there. It needs more.

There was a final transition from sepia to colour, once the last off bike footage was used, perhaps I'll fade that in from sepia, rather than making it a cut...good idea.

Hi Lamble,

I'll echo the sentiment that I thought the sepia segments were too dark. Might be a good opening shot fade in from black ( dream sequence). I loved the opening closeup of the animal nostrils. I would cut that before you can tell what species it is and then my closing shot would be the Momma and Colt followed by a sepia shot, fade to black. Loved the layering of the lake and road. Also liked the music.

overall, very good.

http://<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-7452483722381862513&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
</embed>

For some reason beyond my meager understanding, the embedded version stopped working after a few hours. Please use the link that follows: Ta!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7452483722381862513&hl=en

If it won't play go to googlevideo.com and search for lamble old strokers

Here's a more traditional video I shot when riding with the local group of riders.
They all have cruisers.
You can see that with a helmet cam though, you can't see what you've captured until the ride is finished.

No idea who the finger person is, they weren't part of the group, but they did get hacked off when I passed them for the umpteenth time.

I have one more I'll add here when I get home. It needs to be uploaded, but it is vastly different. I even speak in it.

Last edited:
Hi Lamble,

I'll echo the sentiment that I thought the sepia segments were too dark. Might be a good opening shot fade in from black ( dream sequence). I loved the opening closeup of the animal nostrils. I would cut that before you can tell what species it is and then my closing shot would be the Momma and Colt followed by a sepia shot, fade to black. Loved the layering of the lake and road. Also liked the music.

overall, very good.

I didn't cut the nostrils short, because I wanted to go full circle when you see the foal later. Recognition was part of that. The kayak on the lake is video, but at 5% speed, that way the water still shows the light on the waves moving, and look long enough and the paddles move too.

Just after that shot it became a full on kayak sprint back to shore for the chocolate cake and smors...guess who was first back?

http://<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-7452483722381862513&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Here's a more traditional video I shot when riding with the local group of riders.
They all have cruisers.
You can see that with a helmet cam though, you can't see what you've captured until the ride is finished.

No idea who the finger person is, they weren't part of the group, but they did get hacked off when I passed them for the umpteenth time.

I have one more I'll add here when I get home. It needs to be uploaded, but it is vastly different. I even speak in it.
I like the booger on the lens starting @ 2:07 :p

Was that Oasis?

And wow... those are some highway pegs!

Bloody moths!
It had one wing that hadn't gooooed to the lens and it just kept flapping. I couldn't see it until the edit.

I loved it when we stopped. The hard nut of the group came up and said, "did you get me doing my swerves?"

Leavenworth to Steven's Pass WA.

Music Ex Stone Roses- Ian Brown

Bloody moths!
It had one wing that hadn't gooooed to the lens and it just kept flapping. I couldn't see it until the edit.

I loved it when we stopped. The hard nut of the group came up and said, "did you get me doing my swerves?"

:ha :ha :ha

Music Ex Stone Roses- Ian Brown
D'oh! I thought that voice sounded familiar (sorta like a Gallagher, only better!). I have one of his solo records. :thumb

:ha :ha :ha

D'oh! I thought that voice sounded familiar (sorta like a Gallagher, only better!). I have one of his solo records. :thumb

Both Mancunians and well 'ard!

Just revisiting the Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays. Fool's Gold, 9 minutes of Brit pop magic.

liberia

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-2713850691606025323&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Tried to edit the video to the time it took to ride from the entrance to my tent. With a bit of speeding up and slowing down of the footage, I just about made it.
I thought I was the only one that owns a Liberia CD? Nice choice, we don't need any more aggression in our videos, there is plenty of that. Suggestions on other similar styles of music for you future videos: Lisa Gerrard and the original Twin Peaks soundtrack. If you were on a Yamaha I would expect some 80's punk but put Mozzarella on the pizza not cheddar! Well done.

Back