• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Driving Lights for R12RT

SEPPVONBAYERN

I am planning to add driving lights to my R12RT. Motolight with the new caliper mounting came recommended. Are these lights as strong as the high intensity PIAA? I'd prefer PIAA but is there a R12RT mounting kit available for them??

Not sure about the strength as compared to the PIAA's but there is a kit available to the RT. The caliper bolts are replaced as well so do not substitute any bolt for these.

If I recall correctly, Motolights use a 35W halogen bulb.

I'm not sure which PIAAs you're comparing them to, but if you're looking for night time illumination, I'd bet the PIAAs are a lot brighter. I've got a pair of 520s on my GS and it's like daytime when they're on.

Hella FF50s

Make motolights look like glow sticks. I've had them on both my RTs and wouldn't leave home without them.

PIAA 1100X located under the oil cooler on my 06 R1200RT. Cycle Gadgets mounts. I had to aim they down a lot as I was being flashed by on coming traffic often even in the day time.

R1200PICS004.jpg

R1200PICS006.jpg

If I recall correctly, Motolights use a 35W halogen bulb.

I'm not sure which PIAAs you're comparing them to, but if you're looking for night time illumination, I'd bet the PIAAs are a lot brighter. I've got a pair of 520s on my GS and it's like daytime when they're on.

Yes, but you can get higher wattage replacement bulbs (MR-16) from Motolight or here:

http://www.bulbamerica.com/MR-16-Bulbs-192-cat.htm

The Motolight caliper mount is much more rugged than PIAA 1100's and do not interfere with the suspension travel.

PIAA 1100X located under the oil cooler on my 06 R1200RT. Cycle Gadgets mounts. I had to aim they down a lot as I was being flashed by on coming traffic often even in the day time.

R1200PICS004.jpg

R1200PICS006.jpg

Have the identical set-up on my '05 R1200RT. I even had my tech wire it up so that they are activated by my OEM HIGH BEAM switch - no additional buttons installed or exposed wiring.

A buddy I ride with has MotoLites on his bike - also bright - just liked the install of the PIAA's better.

Good Luck With Either!

PS: However, my garage looks NOTHING like this guy. Seriously good-looking shop, Man!

Thanks,
Yep anal about my garage, I wired mine up to a separate switch so I can run them on or off when desired

I had a follow up question regarding the PIAA 1100s on an RT. The Cycle gadget EZ mount is not recommended for non-ESA RTs and I noticed that PIAA sells an RT specific kit (74124) also...my question is does the PIAA kit have the same limitations regarding install on non-ESA bikes?

I'd really like to install the PIAAs below the oil cooler as pictured above but I'm leery of impeding any shock travel and causing pieces to bump. FYI I no longer have the OEM shocks installed but switched to Ohlins about a year ago.

Thanks

Thanks,
Yep anal about my garage, I wired mine up to a separate switch so I can run them on or off when desired

I've got a PIAA kit in route. Cannot tell from you pictures, are the lights mounted to the bottom of the oil cooler shroud or to the side on the fairing panels? Existing holes or did you drill new holes?

KBasa, I am guessing you are asking for pics of the paint job on the motorcycle, attached.

AK: The Cycle Gadgets mounts, mount to both the oil cooler shroud and the inside of the fariring lip, yes you have to drill holes, not a problem EZ job just follow the instructions.

WhiteyR1200RT002.jpg

Back