• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retired (Uncle Ed)

E

EDWARDL45

I have a "General Warning Light" that comes on and stays on shortly after starting the motorcycle and beginning to ride. I have also been told that I am using my brakes because my brake light comes on even when I am not depressing the hand or peddle.

When I opened up the rear tail light it is a real mass of wires with strange connectors and I also have two wires a blue/purple and a white wire that are not connected to anything, just hanging free.

Since I have changed the bulbs without any effect, my plan now is to remove the strange connectors and solder the wires together followed my either securing the wires with tape or a wire cap type connector.

My question is has anyone else had this problem or a similar problem and am I doing the right thing by soldering the wires togethers.

I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions.

I have a used 2004 R1150Rt oil headthat now has 35,000 miles.

Step 1. Get a wiring diagram

Step 2. Identify any aftermarket wiring.

Step 3. Identify what wires go to the brake light and tail light.

Step 4. Identify the extra wires (which are probably not the problem).

Step 5. Make sure the proper wires are connected to the bulb socket(s).

Step 6. Verify that the bulb sockets are properly grounded.

Step 7. Verify that turning the key on delivers +12v to the tail light.

Step 8. Verify that pressing the brake pedal delivers +12v to the brake light.

Step 9. Verify that pulling the brake lever delivers +12v to the brake light.

If you do all of the above and fix any discrepencies, the lights will work correctly, if the bulb(s) are good.

Back