• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100 4 valve reliability?

MarkF

I was wondering how is the long term reliability of a K1100 4 valve? I know the K75 is a great motor. I'm thinking of a K1100LT as my next ride (cuz BMW no longer makes anything like it!) and would like to hear some personal experiences.

MarkF

Mark,
I bought my '93 K1100LT in Dec '92 and it now has 128K on it. Runs like new. I have been waiting on BMW to make something better but so far they haven't ! :confused:

I agree with Don, you will not be sorry.

Mick

Mark,

I have a 1996 K1100lt, 106,000 miles, the valves (one) was adjusted at 37K and haven't moved since then. The engine is IMHO just about bullet proof.

HTH

Craig Cleasby
South Windsor, CT

Colt03 said:
I have a 1996 K1100lt, 106,000 miles, the valves (one) was adjusted at 37K and haven't moved since then. The engine is IMHO just about bullet proof.
This is the bike that isn't running right now, right Craig? :) :)

jdiaz said:
This is the bike that isn't running right now, right Craig? :) :)

:clap
Good one Jon! I thought his misfire went away? I'm still putting my money on an intermittent HES or Ignition Amplifier.
:clap

Mick:p

Yes Jon, but I don't think that is long term issue or related to the physical engine.

I drove it about 250 more miles after clearing the memory in the motronic and it just died yesterday about 1/2 mile from my house. I forget the numeric code now but it indicated the water temp sensor, so I will be posting an update to the big list and try to trouble shoot that.

Craig

Mick,

what is an ignition amplifyer ( sp ) ?

I don't think I have ever heard of that.

I did the Dunkle heat test and the bike ran fine, put the hair dryer on the hottest setting right to and no sputter or failure, I did however find that my fans still work and kick out a lot of heat !

TIA

Colt03 said:
Mick,

what is an ignition amplifyer ( sp ) ?

I don't think I have ever heard of that.
IA

Craig,
Go to page 12.9 in your manual. It mounts to the front edge of the battery box and should be cleaned and coated with heat-sync paste every 2 years or so.

Mick

Attachments

• ignition_amp.jpg
    ignition_amp.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 141
Craig, a local wrench commented to me once about engine temp sensors being a problem in older K1100's, so that makes sense. Are there whitish deposits on the back of the muffler? Hopefully its easier to replace on your bike than on a K75/100.

Back