• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spearfish & Gillette pic's and ramblings

Ridealot

Lifetime Member
This year I decided to go to both the Spearfish Stampede and the National. Since its about 1500 miles from my home I haven't ridden thru that area for almost 15 years. A couple of friends had rescently gone from Airheads to new bikes so they figured it would be a nice trip to break in their bikes. Julie and Carol loaded up their F650GS and R1200R and we were off.

We had a good ride from Oregon out to Spearfish. The Tetons by Jackson are still beautiful.

337938217_dQNr6-L.jpg

The Stampede at Chris's campground was a pleasant surprise. I don't think there was a single bad spot to camp. Nothing but shade trees and green grass.

337963502_YkxSQ-L.jpg

337964073_YboaF-L.jpg

When we checked in the lady said her husband would lead us to our spot. Later I would learn exactly why they do that. We arrived on Monday. At the campground I noticed some fluid on my inside fairing panel. I had been into the cooler for a cold one just before this so I thought I had just dripped water onto it. I wiped it off and went back to setting up camp. A few minutes later I noticed more drops in the same spot so I looked closer.

The site glass in the front master cylinder had decided to call it quits after 15 years. Being a very astute person I immediately came to the conclusion that a leaking front brake on a motorcycle in hill country while also pulling a Bushtec trailer was probably a bad thing. So I pull out the handy dandy Anonymous book and called the Sturgis dealer. They said they could have a new master cylinder on on Wednesday about noon. So they set me up with a 1:00 appointment on Wednesday.

We had planned on riding to Rushmore on Tuesday but I decided not to because of the leak. (Theres that astute thing again :) Without any plans on Tuesday we decided to ask the guy (I can't remember his name) putting the rally on if he needed any help. It turns out that the night before one of the rally goers noticed that the person from Alaska camped next to him had never returned the night before. After calling hospitals and the state police they found him in a hospital in Rapid City. He had tangled with a guard rail and broke his Femur, fractured a vertebrae, and broke a couple ribs. I later learned that this is why the campground keeps track of where everyone is. She said that during Sturgis every year they end up packing several tents and belongings of people who crash. :cry

The rally Guy (someone please help me with his name) wanted to do a 50/50 drawing and donate the money to Bob from Alaska. Julie, Carol and I where on it. We spent about 3 hours selling tickets to help out Bob. After hearing what the proceeds were for our fellow rally goers stepped up to the plate. In that short amount of time we sold $908 in tickets. That was $454 for Bob and $454 for the winner. At the drawing the winner hit a home run in my opinion. He donated ALL of his winnings back to Bob. :clap

On Wednesday morning I arrived at the Sturgis dealer and set up my little slice of heaven. I had cold water, shade, a Kermit chair, and a book. I was set. At almost exactly 1:00 p.m. they pulled my bike inside to work on it. At 3:00 they pulled it back outside. At 3:15 I was on my way to Gillette. Thank you Sturgis BMW. Even as busy as they where with several people headed to the National needing work my appointment was exactly on time. :bow

337939234_5T9to-L.jpg

We set up camp Wednesday on a little hill. Some people close to us set up just down from us. Thursday morning it turns out they had beach front property to what we called Lake Gillette.

337940714_ZRhaE-L.jpg

Some of the vendors also got hammered by the storm. Remus's awnings did not fair to well

337940245_CoGwX-XL.jpg

337989984_tDPcw-L.jpg

On Friday we finally made it to Rushmore. The wait was worth it.

337938449_HBGK7-L.jpg

337940853_SqZgk-L.jpg

We had a great time at the rally and hit the road for home on Sunday morning.

337947249_W2pFC-L.jpg

We ended up camping on the Chief Joseph highway on the way home. It was a beautiful sun set. We didn't hear until after getting home that we where only a couple of miles away from the campground that a bear had attacked a man on the way to the national in his tent. :brow That would of sucked. Well that was my adventure. Hoped everyone had as good of time as I did. Now I can just be in denial until the credit card statement comes in the mail next month. I did my best to help the vendors out. The biggest purchase was the new Nomar tire changer that was waiting for me when I got home.

337946463_z4AJd-L.jpg

Thanks!

That was a wonderful ride report. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Black Hills BMW Rider Down

We had planned on riding to Rushmore on Tuesday but I decided not to because of the leak. (Theres that astute thing again :) Without any plans on Tuesday we decided to ask the guy (I can't remember his name) Aaron Terveen putting the rally on if he needed any help. It turns out that the night before one of the rally goers noticed that the person from Alaska(George Salmon) camped next to him had never returned the night before. After calling hospitals and the state police they found him in a hospital in Rapid City. He had tangled with a guard rail and broke his Femur, fractured a vertebrae, and broke a couple ribs. I later learned that this is why the campground keeps track of where everyone is. She said that during Sturgis every year they end up packing several tents and belongings of people who crash. :cry

The rally Guy (someone please help me with his name) (Aaron Terveen & Shawn Wenko)wanted to do a 50/50 drawing and donate the money to Bob from Alaska. Julie, Carol and I where on it. We spent about 3 hours selling tickets to help out Bob. After hearing what the proceeds were for our fellow rally goers stepped up to the plate. Thanks sooo much for helping out, it still gives me goose bumps from everyone's contributions! In that short amount of time we sold $908 in tickets. That was $454 for Bob and $454 for the winner. At the drawing the winner hit a home run in my opinion. He donated ALL of his winnings back to Bob. :clap

On Wednesday morning I arrived at the Sturgis dealer and set up my little slice of heaven. I had cold water, shade, a Kermit chair, and a book. I was set. At almost exactly 1:00 p.m. they pulled my bike inside to work on it. At 3:00 they pulled it back outside. At 3:15 I was on my way to Gillette. Thank you Sturgis BMW. Even as busy as they where with several people headed to the National needing work my appointment was exactly on time. :bow

I must tell you I met with George's wife and spoke with him on the phone several times, and they are very thankful for all of you helping them out. He has been in the hospital for over a week and I haven't heard if he has gotten out yet, but he thanks you all for everything.

Thanks Aaron. For some reason I can never remember names. Sorry about that. I enjoyed your rally very much.

If you hear any updates on George let us know. I have know idea where I got the name Bob from.

George

Thanks Aaron. For some reason I can never remember names. Sorry about that. I enjoyed your rally very much.

If you hear any updates on George let us know. I have know idea where I got the name Bob from.

He said he was going to get on the forums and give a personal update when he was able. Keep an eye on the `08 Black Hills BMW Stampede thread, I am sure he will put something there when able. Thanks again and I am pleased to hear you had a great time. Hope to see you again!

Aaron

Back