• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bifocal sunglasses

jimfastcar

Several times on the ride back from Gillette I had a very uncomfortable experience riding eastbound mid-morning due to sunlight in my eyes
Need to wear my glasses to read GPS or Map, and have been looking at some of the cheap sunglasses with what appears to be a small magnifying insert
Any experience with these ?
Thanks

Hey Jim! Our neighbour (on the other side) in the Sherpa Village told Dave about stick-on bifocals. He picked up a set at Wal-Mart down in Gillette for about $8, and put them in his sunglasses. They worked very well, so we're going to look for a couple more sets up here. They should be available where the drug store reading glasses are found.

Cheryl

I have prescription sunglasses that are multi-focal rather than bi-focal. The prescription changes smoothly as you move down the lens rather than the abrupt change you get from bi-focals. They're available almost anywhere that dispenses prescription glasses but they're not cheap; about $300 US.

My wife uses bifocal sunglasses that she purchased, over the counter, at one of the US big box stores. She says that they are great!

My experience is different from Charlie_K's. I tried riding with progressive lenses in my sunglasses, but found the change in focal length as I looked from left to right, or up and down, disturbing and disorienting. I went back to bifocal sunglasses which work very well for me. I had them ground so that the "near" segments at the bottom of the lenses are smaller than normal: they permit me to see the instruments clearly, but with my head in its normal alignment, everything above the instruments is seen through the "distance" upper part of the lens.

Tri focal

my sunglasses are progressive tri focal and I have never had a problem with them.

The are very expensive $300.00, but worth it.

If all you need are readers.

Go to this link and you can get some for less than $20 delivered.http://www.labsafety.com/search/olympic/+-132494/33033/ ANSI rated safety glasses. Great for yard work, chain saws and riding. Come in brown tint.
lbm124220z.jpg

I got a pair of bifocal sunglasses at Bob's BMW at the MOA rally for $15
-Ray

I like the idea of the Wal Mart stick on bifocals. I am gonna give them a look. I think they might work real well on a selected spot on my face shield when wearing my full face helmetso I do not have to wear glasses when wearing it. Might not work, but at least I will not have lost too much.

I use Transition, "progressive" ground lens for riding and bifocals for long range rifle silhouette. My shooting bifocals have a yellow tint and are excellant when riding at night. Buy what you are comfortable with and Ride Safe.

Hey Jim! Our neighbour (on the other side) in the Sherpa Village told Dave about stick-on bifocals. He picked up a set at Wal-Mart down in Gillette for about $8, and put them in his sunglasses. They worked very well, so we're going to look for a couple more sets up here. They should be available where the drug store reading glasses are found.

Cheryl

I used these stick-ons for ten or more years, until I finally got to the point where I needed progressives, and had a pair of sunglasses made. You want to find Optx 20/20 (yes, that's the correct spelling) lenses. Go to your local drug store and try on regular reading glasses to determine the correct strength, then order them if you can't find them locally. I regularly lost one every few months, and got in the habit of using just one on my regular sunglasses. Worked fine for reading the instruments, and halved my replacement costs.

You can trim the lenses with scissors to fit any size sunglass lens.

Google "Optx 20/20" and you'll find lots of places to order them.

If all you need is readers...more

Go to this link and you can get some for less than $20 delivered.http://www.labsafety.com/search/olympic/+-132494/33033/ ANSI rated safety glasses. Great for yard work, chain saws and riding. Come in brown tint.
lbm124220z.jpg

Another source option:
http://www.lesslight.com/
sunglass, clear lens, and many variations
manufactured (I think) or at least imported by
http://www.radians.com/index.asp

These work well for me, and LessLight gives good service.

I use Transition, "progressive" ground lens for riding and bifocals for long range rifle silhouette. My shooting bifocals have a yellow tint and are excellant when riding at night. Buy what you are comfortable with and Ride Safe.

Do the Transition lenses darken behind a full-face visor? They don't work in a car very well...

I had pefect vision till a few years ago. Experenced the same problem. It took me a while to find solutions that worked for both of my hobbies; riding and target shooting. I now use a pair of prescription eyeglasses with progressive transitions lenses or a pair of prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses for riding and driving (depending on the day). I use Champion Olympics for air pistol.

Transition Lenses / Bi-focals - my 2 cents

I use transition glass bifocals behind a clear face shield . They work great , day or night . I haven't used a tinted shield in a while , for fear of getting caught out dark and and also the hassle of bringing a second shield along.

Todd

I use the transtion / photo grey lenses and have for over 20 years total. I no longer worry about dark glasses at all.

Back