• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Finally, a ride report from me!

Rapid_Roy

I don't get out much (special needs daughter at home, long story). So when I was allowed to go to the BMWMOA NAt'l in Gillette Wyoming, I got my chance to actually do a ride report. Unfortunately, my riding buddy hates stopping, so it wasn't always easy to take pictures.
I live in Wisconsin, and I left my house in Waukesha Tuesday, to get to my buddies house 32 miles west in Jefferson. We were leaving early, we had a reservation in Winner, SD.
P5190001.jpg

Wednesday, we took slab (I-94) to Madison. On the way, I saw a white van that said Transportation for tat and non-tat employees. I wondered what that was all about. We passed the van as we neared Madison, and I realized some wiseguy had removed the letters on one side. It was for state and non-state employees.:laugh We then took Hwy 18 across the state, exiting Wisconsin via Prairie Du Chien. In Iowa, we then took Hwy 76 up to 9 and took that all across Iowa. At some point, we cut up to Hwy 44 in SD. Then we ended up on Hwy 18. We took that to Winner, arriving at 8:00 Central time. I didn't have much time to take pictures because we were hauling butt to have an easy day the next day. This is what it looked like at some point in Iowa almost all the way to Winner.
P7170009.jpg

The Missouri River is nice, but we were making time because of a detour on Hwy 44 by the river so no real shots. We had a smooth ride, but it was not uneventful.
Somewhere in Iowa, a rock busted my headlight lens screen.
P7210307.jpg

Also, about 22 miles from Winner, a bee stung my buddy on the forehead, right between the eyes. Nothing but a day of emptying gas tanks on 2 lane (except for that damn short stretch of freeway)
We ate at Gas stations (snacks) and at 1:00 we stopped in a Grocery Store parking lot where they were selling Brats and had a brat and a Woo Hoo(?)
Needless to say, by that time, we were hungry. We made the hotel, found out the VFW was the best place to eat, and they close at 9. I had to call my wife and let her know we were safe. We made it there by 8:30 and had a steak dinner and salad bar.
I lay in bed at the Buffalo Trails Motel, and thought about the 670 miles we did that day. I thought about how the seams on my underwear dug grooves that felt like they were an inch deep in my legs. The motel was exactly what you might expect, and I leave you with this parting shot, the last thing I saw before I slept. This reflects the general state of our hotel room. You have all been in one like this somewhere. However, the A/C worked, and we had the Weather Channel, life was good.
P7160005.jpg

Last edited:
Thusday, Day 2 of the misadventure

We had to wait for a store to open so Al could get some Benadryl. Remember that bee sting last night? This morning, his face was so swollen, he looked Chinese. All he could see from the bottom of his eyes were bumps of skin, he actually had to pry them open.

I had a V8 in my cooler (spicy, it was kinda hot)
I also had soda that was still cold. I had a V8 and some caffeine, and we were good to go. We left about 8:15.
This is miles from my house to here.
P7170007.jpg

This day, I took more pictures.
This is about 20 miles from the Badlands. I thought Al was going to stop there, but he didn't. Just as well, we got to the Rally fairly late.
P7170014.jpg

P7170018.jpg

We were cruising along and Al brakes hard, so I do too, only to make a turn off Hwy 44 into a dusty side road. We drive by a Trading post, a mobile home Post office, to another road that had a gas station, and some other buildings.
Here we are, taking a breather.
P7170031.jpg

This building was across the street.
P7170023.jpg

There was also an old Jail, decommissioned in 1938.
P7170035.jpg

P7170039.jpg

P7170040.jpg

P7170046.jpg

P7170049.jpg

P7170050.jpg

We were sitting there a while, and 3 beemers pulled in. By the time I walked around, they were all looking at 1 guys tire from Connecticut. He had plugged it, and now it had a 2 inch bulge on the outside and was separating. He had driven it a hundred miles that way. AL and I convinced him to call the BMWMOA Rider Assistance line, and not ride on that tire anymore. We did our good deed for the day. We left and were out on Hwy 44, when I saw this. It was not covered in my SD Field Guide, so I thought maybe one of you could identify it.
P7170058.jpg

Another odd happening. Right as I took a picture, some people on a motorcycle slowed down and asked if I was o.k.:heart Here they are.
P7170057.jpg

When I stopped, Al kept screaming ahead. This becomes important, because he hadn't told me we were taking Hwy 16 in Rapid City. I lost Al. I kept going on 44 until it ended, then 385 through the Black hills to Deadwood.
I stopped at Mt Moriah Cemetery (Boot Hill), where Wild Bill Hickok is buried.
P7170061.jpg

Disconsolate over the loss of my riding buddy, I forgot to strap my cooler on the back of the bike (yeah, thats it). I also realized I was too far North to take back roads to Gillette, I had to take the freeway to make decent time.
I pulled up and a stranger took one look at me, and walked over and handed me a bottle of water. Thank you Art from Colorado, I will look for you at future rallies.
I registered, and started driving around, wondering how I would ever find anybody and what the hell happened to Al? Suddenly, I look along the fence line, and there is a group of my Wisconsin buddies, and Al.
P7170068.jpg

I know my brother is here somewhere, he was doing the Hat trick. Black Hills Stampede, the National, and then Top 'o' Rockies rallies. We are here, life is good.
I listened to some of the music that night, found my brother and Desert Don, and we partied like rock stars. I knew it was late and as I went back to my tent, I could see lightning and hear thunder. I ran back to my tent, the temp had dropped and I was in shorts. I went to the bathroom, and just got in the tent, when I realized I still hadn't taken many pictures there, and this is what I heard.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7180069.flv">

So ends the second day of our adventure.

Hey Roy,

I hope this is a report in progress. Any-hoo, I seem to recall reading a previous report that featured a hideous mismatched airhead accent colored toaster tank installed on a soon to be laid over "glad my brother's ok" ride. That aside, I assume you didn't win a Euro tour............... maybe next year. Glad you got some air under your wings, you'll be even a BETTER man because of it.

Paul

Love your writing style!

Can't wait for the next installment . . .

Voni
sMiling

Hey Roy,

I hope this is a report in progress. Any-hoo, I seem to recall reading a previous report that featured a hideous mismatched airhead accent colored toaster tank installed on a soon to be laid over "glad my brother's ok" ride. That aside, I assume you didn't win a Euro tour............... maybe next year. Glad you got some air under your wings, you'll be even a BETTER man because of it.

Paul
Yes it is. It was late last night and I started making mistakes. The best is yet to come, Friday was my favorite day, and you will all see why.

Day 3 Friday

This day was one of the best so far. I was so into it, I had my camera with me all day, and I hardly took any pictures. When I woke up, everything was dry, even after the long rain storm. I had bought a fruit pie at a gas station somewhere, that became breakfast. I opened a Diet Pepsi for Caffeine. I dressed in shorts and sandals, as it would be warm soon enough. Quick morning freshen up and tooth brushing, slung my camera over my neck, and rallied forth.I walked N, towards the beer tent. One of the first people I saw was combing her hair in a bike mirror. I realized I hadn't even done that this morning in my excitement, I must look a mess. It was then I noticed blond hair and she was wearing all red. I thought "can it be?" I walked up and asked if she might be Voni Glaves. She said yes and I introduced myself and said my screen name. I didn't think it possible, but her face became even more radiant, and she walked around the bike and I got a hug. She then introduced me to the man standing near the other bike. I reflected that I was about to meet a man whose words I had been reading for a long time, Mr Paul Glaves.
The day had just started, and I had already met two forum members whose writing had helped me in many ways. If you start a day like that, it can only be great.
I was then offered a red dough nut (how could I say no?) and we talked for a short while. I felt it best not to wear out my welcome, and I thanked them for their hospitality and moved on. I just could not get the goofy smile off my face after that. I walked over to my brothers tent to say good morning. We were standing there talking and up walks redclfco. We went to stand in line for breakfast, and shot the breeze with each other and all the BMW riders around us. It seemed like we got our food soon, and we sat by the Beer tent. Here is a view of the beer hall from under the tent.
P7180071.jpg

After breakfast, Country Store. I put all my tickets in, and then went to buy raffle tickets for the foundation. It was there I met Mr's Bubba Gazoo:)wave Hi Bob, it was great meeting you) and Bradford Benn.
:)wave Hi Bradford, it was also my pleasure to make your acquaintance) We talked for a while, but Bradford was working, and I felt it best to move on.
I bought a pair of summer gloves that actually fit my hands, and wouldn't stain them black.:laugh We vended and socialized, some of these folks I see only a few time a year. There was also a rainshower, while it was sunny. I looked and I saw no clouds, check this out:
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7180077.flv">

I went back to our campsite, and everybody asked where I had been, so I hung with those guys, waiting for the forum frenzy. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I missed it.:cry I went up to the beer hall, to meet some more forum members. I met Burnszilla and DarryRi (Hi guys, it was great meeting you :wave) I met dlowry and clowry was pointed out (she was working). Bradford introduced me to the others working, but I was unable to remember every bodies names, I apologize. It happened so fast. I went to get some food, as all I had eaten was breakfast, and it was about 5:30. I ended up with a meatball sub, the last salad had walked out in front of me. Then it was back to the beer tent. I finally met Mr President and his lovely wife, and I asked redclfco to capture the moment with my camera. I had fogotten that I had my camera in video mode. Watch what happens when we both notice the flash hasn't gone off. I think he likes me. :laugh
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7180078.flv">
(It was my pleasure to meet you both, Mr and Mrs. Swider. You are good people. :wave)

We took some goof photos at the Beemer Saloon later in the evening.
P7190081.jpg

P7190082.jpg

This concludes Friday evenings festivities.
Tomorrow, an actual ride :laugh

Saturday: Ride day

OK. I had a blast last night. I met the Prez, and his very lovely wife. I met many forum members. I listened to NRPS and imbibed. It was an interesting evening. Today, we ride!
Our group is about as in sync as those vibrating football games where you turn it on and everything moves in different directions.
Eventually, something happens.

I let the larger part go on, and myself and my good friends Dale and Ron headed off to Devil's Tower. This was sort of a bittersweet trip, as this was the last place we had come on a family vacation when everybody was healthy in our family. I was wondering how I might react. We had also hiked around the tower, and I was determined to take pictures today. I knew none of them would burn in my memory as the one taken at the tower on that vacation.
dtw.jpg
(Damn, I picked a mental scab, it started bleeding a bit.)

*Deep breath*

The ride started out well. We jumped on the Freeway to Moorcroft (60 miles?). We then headed North to Devil's Tower. It was a nice ride through part of the Black Hills and it seemed like we arrived quickly. We did see the larger part of our group, but they had opted not to go into the park. We were tourists that day, and were determined to walk around it. After we paid our fee, we headed in.
There was a beautiful red rock formation right near the entrance, so I snapped a shot. Let me just say that, when you are in a group on running bikes, there is not a lot of patience for framing that perfect shot. Even though I had warned them, Ron and Dale were troopers about it. Thanks guys.
P7190194.jpg

We drove by the Prairie dog towns and headed to the tourist center.
We found parking fairly quick, and I saw many other bikes parked also.
Here are the obligatory Devil's Tower Shots:
P7190092.jpg

P7190102.jpg

Climbers!

P7190126.jpg

Look for the dark triangle to the right of the climbers.
P7190134.jpg

P7190152.jpg

P7190160.jpg

By the time you reach here, the parking lot is close, if you first turned left when you got to the tower.
P7190173.jpg

We got back to our bikes, hit the restrooms and re-hydrated. The plan was, I wanted to take pictures as we headed back to Moorcroft, so I did!
D'oh Mule deer.
P7190177.jpg

My little buddies.
P7190193.jpg

A bike shot you can only get in a few places. Here, and somewhere with a really large backdrop.
P7190197.jpg

P7190209.jpg

Experimenting.
P7190203.jpg

P7190205.jpg

Finally! An antelope.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i14.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/RapidR/BMWMOA%202008/P7190210.flv">
P7190212.jpg

Dale and Ron cruised by, I had already told them I would meet them in Moorcroft (we were all going to gas up).As I took that last picture, a couple of Harleys passed me. I got on the bike, and headed out on the wide open road. Next thing I know, I am in triple digits. Like Dale, when his GS ran wild, my bike wanted to pass the Harleys. As I was catching up to them, I hit a small bump in the road, my bike made that "rear tire has left the ground for a second" sound. I quickly backed it down, scolded her, and we followed the HDs into Moorcroft. After we gassed up, we followed the directions to the Mexican place in Gillette. Sort of, he was off by a ramp.
We gassed up there also. NO waiting, good food, and reasonable prices. I went to Wal-Mart, to replace my cooler that abandoned bike, for the ride home. We got back to the rally, and after I stocked my cooler, we headed up to the beer tent. I ran into Dave (Bluestune).
P7190229.jpg

(Hey, Dale took this one.)
P7190231.jpg

I finally met Knary and Visian.
I don't know why I didn't get a pic of Visian. I took/didn't take pictures at the oddest moments, I have no excuse.
When I met Scott, it floored him.
P7190235.jpg

No, that's not it, but we'll go with it. I have no better explanation.
I love the look on Scott's face. It's like the look on David Letterman's face when he is not sure about a guest.
P7190236.jpg

I also met M1ka (Hi John, it was my pleasure meeting you. I hope I didn't talk your ear off.)
I close with a picture of Ron, my cossack friend. Well, that is what I call him when he wears that hat.
P7200237.jpg

The next installment: The long way home, or, geez, where is the next gas station?

Roy, I was pouting that I missed the national this year. Now reading this I am downright despondent. Great report!!!

I'm glad you had a good time and hopefully I will see everybody next year.

Steve

Nice to see that you made it home safely, Roy. I just got in yesterday afternoon and am ion process of catching up with stuff. Howdy to your bro's!

Roy,

What a great report. Thanks a ton for all the great pictures, many of familiar faces.

I must say, your riding partner doesn't sound like much of a partner. Mind don't like to stop for pictures, either, but they always wait at a turn.

Thanks everybody. :wave Randy, glad you made it home, I hope you had a nice ride. Eric is still in Paonia (now, he sucks :laugh).

Back