Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: No Synthetic Oil Until 10k??

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    Nice, real nice! You almost seem happy that you are ALMOST, maybe, being proved correct at someone else's expense.
    As seems to be fairly typical, Jim completely misses the point of my post. I do not seem happy at someone else's expense. I personally think it would be terrible if this warranty claim gets denied on the basis of an easily-avoidable maintenance issue.

The point was, and is, while your BMW motorcycle is under the factory warranty, you should follow the BMW specified-maintenance TO THE LETTER (and maybe more), and be able to document it, IF you want to avoid (or at least minimize) the chances of BMW objecting to a warranty claim. That includes using the engine oil specified by BMW. If BMW specifies an SG/SH engine oil (and BMW does not specify a brand of oil, only the API classification and the viscosity), then that is what you should use. After the warranty expires, then you are free to use whatever oil you want, provided you do not expect or care about BMW potentially providing after-the-warranty "good will" coverage.

Just some simple lawyer advice . . . when someone tells you not worry about using the oil specified by BMW during the warranty period, because they are not aware of BMW ever denying a warranty claim based on API classification, be VERY, VERY careful. They are not going to pay for your bike repairs if BMW denies your warranty claim. But, of course, it's YOUR BMW motorcycle, so you are free to do whatever you want. Just don't say you weren't warned.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Forget it, you win. I give up!

Never argue with a lawyer!

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    Never argue with a lawyer!
    That's right...shoot first, ask questions later

I respect both opinions, as your points have been well made, and I do hope that one opinion is not justified at someone else's expense. However I will keep my opinion to myself....too many bullets flying in this room!!
    Jim Mock
    2008 R1200RT (The Blue Mule), R90/6 (New to me)
    MSF RiderCoach
    "Spring loaded to the riding position!"

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    This reminds me of one of those oil threads...
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot View Post
    However I will keep my opinion to myself....too many bullets flying in this room!!
    And that would be a shame . . . if you don't share your opinions and information with others because a few feel the need to personally attack you if your opinion is different from theirs.
    Mike White
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

rglassma
    Hello Everyone,

I don't really see the need to use synthetic with an oil change at 6K. That is how long I plan to use the oil and filter. I use castrol and BMW filters. I use to use amsoil but interestingly enough, 5k after I started using it on my 03 K with 30K on it, the seals started leaking.

The pricing differential for synthetic more then makes up for the difference in savings for gas mileage if there is any. I am getting between 50-60mpg consistently. That is good enough for me and my '05RT.

I'll just stick to dino oil in the classification that bmw recommends, buy an extended warranty and love the bike.

Isn't that what we are here for? We love to ride, are club members and share that in common. Why all the arguing, debating and fighting? Seems kinda silly to me.

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by rglassma View Post
    I'll just stick to dino oil in the classification that bmw recommends, buy an extended warranty and love the bike.
    Sounds like a reasonable plan to me (although I don't know what the cost/benefits of that extended warranty are, so cannot judge). I think those of us who advocate synthetic just feel it provides a little more protection, especially in hot weather or more severe service. But, none of us are saying that a reputable brand dino oil is inadequate.
    Mike White

Amsoil

Quote Originally Posted by rglassma View Post
    I use castrol and BMW filters. I use to use amsoil but interestingly enough, 5k after I started using it on my 03 K with 30K on it, the seals started leaking.
    That's interesting, in fact all comments here have been. I just had the 6K done on my R12RT and BMW Orlando used Amsoil 20W-50. The difference in pricing is something also. My selling dealer, Ironhorse in Tucson did the 600 and used Castrol 20W-50 at $2.48/qt and the filter was $9.06. For a 3K oil change, I bought BMW oil and filter while in San Antonio from the BMWdealer there and paid $5.94/qt for BMW Special 20W-50 and $18.12 for the filter. Now, at the 6K, Orlando used Amsoil 20W-50S at $9.75/qt and $16.30 for the filter and crush washer.

Quite a difference in prices. Once years ago when Mobil 1 first came out, I used it in my GMC pick-up and it soon began to leak. Hope the Amsoil doesn't do that with the new RT.

Educational and informative thread

Lew
    Lew, on the road to . . . ??

While retrieving my bike yesterday from its 600 mile service and without prompting, the BMW service advisor said I could switch to synthetic at 3,000 miles. Similar to a previous comment in this thread, my response was that until this bike is off its factory warranty, I'll stick with the BMW dino oil - no questions asked if engine problems arise.
    Konrad

2008 R1200 GS
    1995 R1100 GS (Traded-In)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    BMW just came out with an SB clarifiying the oil to be used in the K1200S/R/GT. They said that up to 600 mi any oil to be added should be 10W50 dino, and after that up to 6K, 10W50 or 10W40 dino depending on ambient temperature...all SG or SH. After 6K, they said to use either 10W40 or 15W50 synth if desired (again SG/SH) and temp considerations.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    BMW just came out with an SB clarifiying the oil to be used in the K1200S/R/GT. They said that up to 600 mi any oil to be added should be 10W50 dino, and after that up to 6K, 10W50 or 10W40 dino depending on ambient temperature...all SG or SH. After 6K, they said to use either 10W40 or 15W50 synth if desired (again SG/SH) and temp considerations.
    That all fine and dandy, but I do not see the relevance in posting this info., as this is a hexhead forum and this info pertains to K bikes, two totally different animals. Seems that this will add to the confusion around here.

Earl

Exclamation Oil?.......I can't even remove the skid plate!

I've been changing oil on my 2K GS since it was new.
    Two months ago I purchased a new GS and after the first service performed by the dealer last month I set the bike up in my garage to do my first oil change.

Yikes! I had to run all over town to find the right tools (plural) to remove the skid plate.....Torx 8, T-10, 13 mm .....yow!
    The Napa store stated "well I guess BMW just would prefer that you not work on the bike".

I would agree.

Cheers!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyRider View Post
    I've been changing oil on my 2K GS since it was new.
    Two months ago I purchased a new GS and after the first service performed by the dealer last month I set the bike up in my garage to do my first oil change.

Yikes! I had to run all over town to find the right tools (plural) to remove the skid plate.....Torx 8, T-10, 13 mm .....yow!
    The Napa store stated "well I guess BMW just would prefer that you not work on the bike".

I would agree.

Cheers!

Mike
    Actually, a lot of vehicles now use torx fasteners because they are easier for the robots to use.

Damn, This is more fun than Christians vs. Lions. My R1200R owners manual states the following under "Oil Grades":

"Engine oils of the API classification SF or greater. Engine oils of the ACEA classification A2 or better. BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 6000 miles (10,000 km)."

Here is a link to a service bulletin from BMW warning not to use API SJ oils:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...oil/index.html

Here is a link to the API ratings from the American Petroleum Institute:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

Hope this serves to clear some of the confusion.