• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No Synthetic Oil Until 10k??

However I will keep my opinion to myself....too many bullets flying in this room!!

And that would be a shame . . . if you don't share your opinions and information with others because a few feel the need to personally attack you if your opinion is different from theirs. :(

Hello Everyone,

I don't really see the need to use synthetic with an oil change at 6K. That is how long I plan to use the oil and filter. I use castrol and BMW filters. I use to use amsoil but interestingly enough, 5k after I started using it on my 03 K with 30K on it, the seals started leaking.

The pricing differential for synthetic more then makes up for the difference in savings for gas mileage if there is any. I am getting between 50-60mpg consistently. That is good enough for me and my '05RT.

I'll just stick to dino oil in the classification that bmw recommends, buy an extended warranty and love the bike.

Isn't that what we are here for? We love to ride, are club members and share that in common. Why all the arguing, debating and fighting? Seems kinda silly to me.

I'll just stick to dino oil in the classification that bmw recommends, buy an extended warranty and love the bike.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me (although I don't know what the cost/benefits of that extended warranty are, so cannot judge). I think those of us who advocate synthetic just feel it provides a little more protection, especially in hot weather or more severe service. But, none of us are saying that a reputable brand dino oil is inadequate.

Amsoil

I use castrol and BMW filters. I use to use amsoil but interestingly enough, 5k after I started using it on my 03 K with 30K on it, the seals started leaking.

That's interesting, in fact all comments here have been. I just had the 6K done on my R12RT and BMW Orlando used Amsoil 20W-50. The difference in pricing is something also. My selling dealer, Ironhorse in Tucson did the 600 and used Castrol 20W-50 at $2.48/qt and the filter was $9.06. For a 3K oil change, I bought BMW oil and filter while in San Antonio from the BMWdealer there and paid $5.94/qt for BMW Special 20W-50 and $18.12 for the filter. Now, at the 6K, Orlando used Amsoil 20W-50S at $9.75/qt and $16.30 for the filter and crush washer.

Quite a difference in prices. Once years ago when Mobil 1 first came out, I used it in my GMC pick-up and it soon began to leak. Hope the Amsoil doesn't do that with the new RT.

Educational and informative thread

Lew

While retrieving my bike yesterday from its 600 mile service and without prompting, the BMW service advisor said I could switch to synthetic at 3,000 miles. Similar to a previous comment in this thread, my response was that until this bike is off its factory warranty, I'll stick with the BMW dino oil - no questions asked if engine problems arise.

BMW just came out with an SB clarifiying the oil to be used in the K1200S/R/GT. They said that up to 600 mi any oil to be added should be 10W50 dino, and after that up to 6K, 10W50 or 10W40 dino depending on ambient temperature...all SG or SH. After 6K, they said to use either 10W40 or 15W50 synth if desired (again SG/SH) and temp considerations.

BMW just came out with an SB clarifiying the oil to be used in the K1200S/R/GT. They said that up to 600 mi any oil to be added should be 10W50 dino, and after that up to 6K, 10W50 or 10W40 dino depending on ambient temperature...all SG or SH. After 6K, they said to use either 10W40 or 15W50 synth if desired (again SG/SH) and temp considerations.

That all fine and dandy, but I do not see the relevance in posting this info., as this is a hexhead forum and this info pertains to K bikes, two totally different animals. Seems that this will add to the confusion around here.

Earl

Oil?.......I can't even remove the skid plate!

I've been changing oil on my 2K GS since it was new.
Two months ago I purchased a new GS and after the first service performed by the dealer last month I set the bike up in my garage to do my first oil change.

Yikes! I had to run all over town to find the right tools (plural) to remove the skid plate.....Torx 8, T-10, 13 mm .....yow!
The Napa store stated "well I guess BMW just would prefer that you not work on the bike".

I would agree.

Cheers!

Mike

I've been changing oil on my 2K GS since it was new.
Two months ago I purchased a new GS and after the first service performed by the dealer last month I set the bike up in my garage to do my first oil change.

Yikes! I had to run all over town to find the right tools (plural) to remove the skid plate.....Torx 8, T-10, 13 mm .....yow!
The Napa store stated "well I guess BMW just would prefer that you not work on the bike".

I would agree.

Cheers!

Mike

Actually, a lot of vehicles now use torx fasteners because they are easier for the robots to use.

Damn, This is more fun than Christians vs. Lions. My R1200R owners manual states the following under "Oil Grades":

"Engine oils of the API classification SF or greater. Engine oils of the ACEA classification A2 or better. BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 6000 miles (10,000 km)."

Here is a link to a service bulletin from BMW warning not to use API SJ oils:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/reviews/sj_oil/index.html

Here is a link to the API ratings from the American Petroleum Institute:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

Hope this serves to clear some of the confusion.

Damn, This is more fun than Christians vs. Lions. My R1200R owners manual states the following under "Oil Grades":

"Engine oils of the API classification SF or greater. Engine oils of the ACEA classification A2 or better. BMW Motorrad recommends not using synthetic oils for the first 6000 miles (10,000 km)."

Here is a link to a service bulletin from BMW warning not to use API SJ oils:

http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/reviews/sj_oil/index.html

Here is a link to the API ratings from the American Petroleum Institute:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

Hope this serves to clear some of the confusion.

Not quite sure how citing a 10 year old service bulletin that was published when drip feed roller bearing eng.s where the norm for BMW, will 'clear up' the confusion. As stated in your post, BMW now recommends an API classification of SF(1988 new veh.) OR BETTER. It does not state that you cannot use oil classified SJ - even though 10yrs earlier they did not recommend it. the lastest rating now is SM and they have no recommendation against it. Even the other site that you linked says its OK-"For automotive gasoline engines, the latest engine oil service
category includes the performance properties of each earlier
category."

Just to add to the confusion.:stick

Earl

Even the other site that you linked says its OK-"For automotive gasoline engines, the latest engine oil service
category includes the performance properties of each earlier
category."

Just to add to the confusion.:stick

Earl
Earl,

It is adding to the confusion since it's no longer true. With the EPA sticking it's nose into the pot - the later classifications are known to contain less extreme pressure additives in the additive package. These were reduced since it is believed they have a bad effect on catalytic converters. This means an SM grade oil may not meet the extreme pressure specifications of an oil with SF-SG classification.

The BMW memo specified SF-SG graded oil since that was the last classification before this change took place, and they felt the additional extreme pressure additives were a good thing. To confuse things even more - the reduction in the additives wasn't uniform - the "energy saving" grade oils (0W-30, 5W-30) have less of them than higher viscosity grades - even with the same API classification.

What's needed is to encourage MCN and Jeff DiCarlo to do an updated study on oil additives to see what is being sold and what it really contains.

Not quite sure how citing a 10 year old service bulletin that was published when drip feed roller bearing eng.s where the norm for BMW, will 'clear up' the confusion.

So you're saying it is OK to use API SJ oils now?

To confuse things even more - the reduction in the additives wasn't uniform - the "energy saving" grade oils (0W-30, 5W-30) have less of them than higher viscosity grades - even with the same API classification.

What's needed is to encourage MCN and Jeff DiCarlo to do an updated study on oil additives to see what is being sold and what it really contains.

Yes, that would certainly be a great help, and would hopefully avoid (or at least reduce) a lot of the ad hoc "part of the story" discussions going on here.

So you're saying it is OK to use API SJ oils now?
I can't speak for Earl, but unless I know the SJ oil has the level of extreme pressure additives that BMW wants - I'd stick with oil I know has it. In my case - the easiest way to do that is to buy BMW oil from BMW.

YMMV, and did'ya get the bike yet Ted?

no synthetic

...The point is I have never been able to directly conclude that oil has been the cause of a failure.

So the question that I posse is this; Has anyone had modern engine failure that was the direct result of the oil used?

Earl

Exactly!

This entire thread now is becoming a repeat of one about 3 weeks ago. Including this question. The answer is yes. BMW-M3 engines, 2001-2003. Many. Then they changed the oil specifications (and some engine parts) and it stopped.

EDIT----------------------
Within the past few months: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=24966
and http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=22358
and: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=24172 (some good info on a few Castrol SG rated oils!)

Tell'ya the truth.. I'm bored with oil so I'm dropping out. Have fun without me!

Last edited:
To add more confusion... If you talk to the Spectro oil rep he will tell you that the oil in BMW bottles is actually API SL and BMW has not changed the SG label.

Back