Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: No Synthetic Oil Until 10k??

charleshickman
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
    My BMW car was delivered with Synth in the big V8 - I have about 2500 miles on the car and it is not due for an oil change until it hits 15K - that car does not evcen have an oil level indicator - the protocol for checking the oil level is to drain the crankase, refill, and measure the amount required to bring it up to full.
    Please do not take offense, but my '06 325i does not have a dipstick, but does have an oil level sensor, that is checked by toggling a switch on the turnsignal stalk, then pressing the button on the end of the stalk. I personally would prefer a dipstick. If you have checked your owner's manual, please disregard.

Don, that seems to me to be a human error, not a failure of the oil it self, the engineers tried to skimp on the oil needed for a high performance engine, and failed. And i know what you mean on cost, the last BMW engine I replaced was a M62 4.4L in a Range Rover(04)- $20 000.00 all told. the cust was none to happy as it was not covered under warranty- Nicasil liners were pitted by pinging from running ****ty gas on the hi-way, lost compession in #5&8 cylinders, punped all the oil out of the exhaust. It sucks to learn things the hard way but it did say that if the eng. light starts to flash, pull over and stop the eng. to avoid causing damage. Also dont know how poor oil could break a ring, seems like a stretch to me, usually rings break due to over heating or carbon build up from burning oil seizing them and causing the failure. Its like the old standby ' I just had my car in for an oil change and now my ???? does not work, it must be your fault"(and I want it fixed for free)

Earl

Herleman
    My F800 has had synthetic oil since 1K. Seems to be working well, so far.

I just like synthetic oil.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Don and others, feel free to pay whatever you like for oil, but I say it is a waste of money to pander to BMW for overpriced oil when there is not one example I know of where BMW denied a warranty claim for using the wrong oil. Not one!

Have a nice day, and don't hurt yourselves beating yuor chest to hard!

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAdv View Post
    Don, that seems to me to be a human error, not a failure of the oil it self, the engineers tried to skimp on the oil needed for a high performance engine, and failed.
    OK - then I'm unclear on what you'd consider an oil caused failure.. This seemed to be one to me - the oil specifications weren't sufficient for the engine.. sort of like using SM rated oil in a BMW bike engine that requires SG/SH..

Puzzled... (and beating my chest for a bit so Jim is happy.. )
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    Don and others, feel free to pay whatever you like for oil, but I say it is a waste of money to pander to BMW for overpriced oil when there is not one example I know of where BMW denied a warranty claim for using the wrong oil. Not one!

Have a nice day, and don't hurt yourselves beating yuor chest to hard!

Jim
    Jim - you can - as I do - do whatever you want. You certainly don't need my permission, nor do I need yours. I told what I did and why. You are certainly free to disagree with me, but it seems a bit strange that we can't disagree with you.

As you said - have a nice day.

(Wandering away with a bruised chest apparently..)

(Just love this cartoon..)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    OK - then I'm unclear on what you'd consider an oil caused failure.. This seemed to be one to me - the oil specifications weren't sufficient for the engine.. sort of like using SM rated oil in a BMW bike engine that requires SG/SH..

Puzzled... (and beating my chest for a bit so Jim is happy.. )
    My dealer is also a BMW car dealer and I remember that but was thinking the answer was something different than just the oil...seems like it was the ethanol in the gas or something that the linings were not resistant to. I could be all wet on that, but I remember something about we had here and they did not have in Europe.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    My dealer is also a BMW car dealer and I remember that but was thinking the answer was something different than just the oil...seems like it was the ethanol in the gas or something that the linings were not resistant to. I could be all wet on that, but I remember something about we had here and they did not have in Europe.
    Gas wasn't the problem. BMW initially blamed it on the oil (well - initially they blamed it on the customers.. that's not a surprise..) used. They then claimed that there were some batches of bad bearings installed, and a bad oil pump. They then did a 2nd go around with the oil pumps (some cars got them twice..) The final outcome was - new bearings, new oil pump, extended engine warranty for anything touched by oil to 100k/6 years, and the new oil specification. There are a lot less reports of them blowing up since they took these actions..

On the Road
    I use only BMW oil and filters. Always have, always will. Not just because I'm afraid the warranty will be effected, but because I want to maximize performance and minimize wear. My bike is out of warranty at 36,000 miles and I hope to ride it well past three times that. I'd feel stupid if I saved a few dollars on a Fram filter or Wal-Mart oil just to have the engine "wear out" at sixty thousand miles.

bob1100rtc
    Used a BMW filter $16 with crush washer and Castrol 4T $12 for my 4000 mile oil change.

Republic of Texas
    Don and others, feel free to pay whatever you like for oil, but I say it is a waste of money to pander to BMW for overpriced oil when there is not one example I know of where BMW denied a warranty claim for using the wrong oil.
    I don't think anyone here has opined that you MUST use "overpriced" BMW brand engine oil during the warranty period, and I have repeatedly said I am talking about API classification and not brand. Apparently some people read what they want to read.

Even if the risk of BMW denying a warranty claim is small, why take the risk, especially if there is no financial benefit for doing it? Just put the specified SG/SH oil (WHATEVER BRAND YOU WANT) in the bike until the warranty has expired. After that, it's probably going to be your dime anyway if something breaks, so THEN you can decide whether to keep using an SG/SH or go to an SM that has a higher ZDDP content (e.g., Mobil 1 15w-50 or 20w-50).
    Last edited by BeemerMike; 07-30-2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    I don't think anyone here has opined that you MUST use "overpriced" BMW brand engine oil during the warranty period, and I have repeatedly said I am talking about API classification and not brand. Apparently some people read what they want to read.
    Isn't that the truth!

Even if the risk of BMW denying a warranty claim is small, why take the risk, especially if there is no financial benefit for doing it? Just put the specified SG/SH oil (WHATEVER BRAND YOU WANT) in the bike until the warranty has expired. After that, it's probably going to be your dime anyway if something breaks, so THEN you can decide whether to keep using an SG/SH or go to an SM that has a higher ZDDP content (e.g., Mobil 1 15w-50 or 20w-50).

But that is the point. BMW oil IS more expensive! $3+ a quart. It does add up.

Oh, and I know people who even work for BMW who not only don't use BMW oil, and don't use BMW filters.

To each his own, but my opinion is no less valid than Don's or your's, and your constant need to prove me wrong, with no evidence, is pointless.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

no synthetic

It's been a good thread, though.

I've got to get up to speed on these new API classifications.

Rinty
    Last edited by Rinty; 07-30-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Republic of Texas
    But that is the point. BMW oil IS more expensive! $3+ a quart. It does add up.
    But, as I've said for countless times, I am NOT saying to use BMW brand oil.

I give up, Don. You have the con.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S