• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Topic

B

boatride

i can only imagine this is constantly discussed topic..but what is the best oil for our bikes? Synthetic? BMW brand?

new to the MOA community but enjoying the wonderful resource. look me up if you come thru Steamboat Springs! 1200 GS and wife on a 650.

Best regards, Ren:buds

Any SG rated (API rating with sufficient antiwear additives) of the proper viscosity - usually 20w50 except for winter riders (and the latest K models).

Since most off the shelf car oils are now SL rated oils, SG often means a motorcycle oil.

My personal facorite is Castrol 4T Four Stroke motorcycle oil at about the same price or a little less than GTX. BMW, Honda, Victory, HD, Spectro, Red Line, Purple Passion, and the witch doctor all market SG rated 20w50 oils.

Some folks like diesel oils, even when they are 15w40 and thus out of spec. They say they work. OK - its their bike, not mine. But you won't find it in any of mine/ours.

Some folks insist that only a synthetic is good enough. BMW doesn't say that, but these guys know more than BMW's engineers. Ask them!

Look in your little riders/owners manual and follow that specification and you will be fine.

Now, then - for tires you need black, round one, at least H speed rated, with tread grooves on the bottom. All the way around helps, because the bottom keeps moving and changing. Oh well!

Some folks will take your money to put nitrogen in your tires. I'll give you 82% nitrogen and charge only 82% as much.

Oil review

I sent my oil in for testing (Blackstone Labs) at the 6000 mile change (5400 miles from the intitial 600 mile change) It was the usual BMW 20-50 and it passed with flying colors. It convinced me to change only at 6000 not sooner. All values were better than they needed to be including additive level. Without using a testing service, it's kind of a guessing game.

I sent my oil in for testing (Blackstone Labs) at the 6000 mile change (5400 miles from the intitial 600 mile change) It was the usual BMW 20-50 and it passed with flying colors. It convinced me to change only at 6000 not sooner. All values were better than they needed to be including additive level. Without using a testing service, it's kind of a guessing game.

BMW recommmended interval is 6,000 miles except for "severe service" - lots of short trips where the engine doesn't warm fully, winter riding, extreme dusty coinditions, etc.

My K75 engine was still unopened at 370K miles using this interval, and Voni's R1100RS is just now about due for rings at 345K using this interval.

You can change more often if your psyche needs it, but the engine doesn't need it.

I am looking at the BMW K100LT owners manual with a date of 1990. The oil change interval is 4,000 miles or 6 months/ sever duty 2,000 miles or 3 months.

Ralph Sims

I am looking at the BMW K100LT owners manual with a date of 1990. The oil change interval is 4,000 miles or 6 months/ sever duty 2,000 miles or 3 months.

Ralph Sims

Find one in German or other language in a "metric" country from the same year and I bet it says 10,000 kilometers. BMWNA had more than one translation problem in that time period.

But change it at 4K if you want to. It only harms your pocket book.

Oil Stuff

Paul................your sage advice is welcomed to this apparently quarterly (monthly?) thread.......mebbe it'll only be 3 or 4 pages this time:D

Back