• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"rain X" on plastic?

D

DavidBMWRT

Can I use ÔÇ£RAIN XÔÇØ on my BMWRT windshield and (or) my HJC helmet face shield?

The instructions on the bottle say, ÔÇ£Do not use on plastic unless pre-approved by the manufacture of the plastic to be treatedÔÇØ

In South Georgia, riding in the rain is sort of fun, (If like me, you try to see things the way a kid does).

But if the rain is hard enough to ÔÇ£drown a frogÔÇØ then of course it becomes very difficult to see where youÔÇÖre going.

I thought about using ÔÇ£Rain XÔÇØ but I donÔÇÖt want to ruin the windshield.

What are your thoughts?

Can I use “RAIN X” on my BMWRT windshield and (or) my HJC helmet face shield?

The instructions on the bottle say, “Do not use on plastic unless pre-approved by the manufacture of the plastic to be treated”

In South Georgia, riding in the rain is sort of fun, (If like me, you try to see things the way a kid does).

But if the rain is hard enough to “drown a frog” then of course it becomes very difficult to see where you’re going.

I thought about using “Rain X” but I don’t want to ruin the windshield.

What are your thoughts?

Rain-X works fine on my Nolan N-102, has worked ok on my Shoei helmets in the past. I have an added problem of eye-glasses inside my helmet, so it's really a problem if the shield and the lenses start to fog! I Rain-X them both.

Len

I've used Rain-X on both my Shoei Multi-tech and Ztechnik windshield with no adverse effects.

I RainXed my HJC helmet shield a few months ago... had no issues at all.

I just wax my wind screens, helps the bugs come off.

Used it (Rain-X) on my 1986 Yamaha Venture Royal w/s and within a few months the w/s crazed to the point you couldn't see through it. Never used it on anything but glass since.

Used it (Rain-X) on my 1986 Yamaha Venture Royal w/s and within a few months the w/s crazed to the point you couldn't see through it. Never used it on anything but glass since.

+1 used it on my boat windows - crazed in short order. Read an article years ago that said not to use it on motorcycle windshields, Said there had been cases where the windshield broke off where the windshield was mounted to the windshield frame. Fortunately I did not use it on the bike and am very sorry I used it on the boat. I used it up on my car but do not use the product any more period. It did work well on the car glass though.

Not Good

Do not use it on Plastic that is not approved for it, my brother found out the hard way on his 2005 ultra H D, it looks like it started to eat, melt it away, he wiped it off but not fast enough, now in the corner it looks like fog all the time. :nono

Memphis Shade:

I have used it on my Memphis Shade. I emailed them first they said it would not harm the material. It works great and bugs wipe off much easier when it is on. I also use it on my face shield and glasses. I would just email the manufacturer of the windscreen first before using.

Kelly

"Without wishing to damp the ardor of curiosity or influence the freedom of inquiry, I will hazard a prediction that, after the most industrious and impartial researchers, the longest liver of you all will find no principles, institutions or systems of education more fit in general to be transmitted to your posterity than those you have received from your ancestors."

-- John Adams

Back