• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need cell coverage

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Thought that I might ride to N. Carolina for the K Bike Camp Out. Rather than using my Canadian cell phone and get dinged big time for useage out of country (like last year), I thought I'd buy a US throwaway cell with a card for minutes and then use my 1-800 calling number. Do you have any recommendations as to which carrier is better than another or should I just hit the first Walmart and buy a $10.00 phone and a card with minutes?

Look at the Net Ten phones, around $30 and most come with 300 minutes good for 60 days before time must be added. Ten cents a minute anywhere any time.

I added Canada Roaming to my Sprint account last year and it was short money. Check with your carrier. The same option may be available for US roaming. I had to call. The option was not available on the website.

I added Canada Roaming to my Sprint account last year and it was short money. Check with your carrier. The same option may be available for US roaming. I had to call. The option was not available on the website.
For an additional 60 minutes, there is a fee of $40.00, there is a no roam charge with Mother Bell. They need at least three weeks notice and you can not get more than the 60 minutes at one time.

For an additional 60 minutes, there is a fee of $40.00, there is a no roam charge with Mother Bell. They need at least three weeks notice and you can not get more than the 60 minutes at one time.

Sounds like the Tracfone is the way to go...

I've had very good luck with my tracfone. It's been all over the US and I used it extensively while in Canada last year. they have some cheap phones available and additional minutes cards are available at many outlets.

I've had very good luck with my tracfone. It's been all over the US and I used it extensively while in Canada last year. they have some cheap phones available and additional minutes cards are available at many outlets.

Both of my teenage dotters are Tracfone enabled. It's about the only remaining way to control them. Highly recommended are the various double minutes options. They either come with the phone, the minutes card, or as a separate item.

I found Trac Phones to be very expensive minutes if you are traveling. I used over 100 minutes trying to get road service to my wifes bike when it broke down on vacation last year. When my minutes were gone I was still not certain the wrecker was on it's way. That prompted the switch to Net Ten.

Back