• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question? K bike vs. R bike?

Besides, K-bikes can go places Oilhead GSs can not. :brow

Yeah, my K takes me places an R can't- I feel like my K1100RS is taking me straight over the river Styx. But then look at the name of my K.

If I did it over again, it possibly would be an "R".

Ride both- but if it is a hot day, I can guess which you will choose.

Besides, K-bikes can go places Oilhead GSs can not. :brow

The back of the group when the road gets twisty or gnarly or otherwise more entertaining? :scratch

Into packs of goldwings, blending in so well that the even larger and even more ungainly behemoths aren't spooked? :scratch

From zero to boring in 2 seconds flat? :scratch

Into the cuisinart convention as the newest bestest german blenders? :scratch

To the bottom of the sea fastest with their higher weight to surface area ratio? :scratch

:ear

:evil

:ha

The back of the group when the road gets twisty or gnarly or otherwise more entertaining? :scratch

Into packs of goldwings, blending in so well that the even larger and even more ungainly behemoths aren't spooked? :scratch

To the bottom of the sea fastest with their higher weight to surface area ratio? :scratch

Knary - That is funny!:drink

Posted by Knary:
The back of the group when the road gets twisty or gnarly or otherwise more entertaining?

Into packs of goldwings, blending in so well that the even larger and even more ungainly behemoths aren't spooked?

From zero to boring in 2 seconds flat?

Into the cuisinart convention as the newest bestest german blenders?

To the bottom of the sea fastest with their higher weight to surface area ratio?

Dude,

:nono If we ever meet on The Tail of The Dragon, you'll get your eyes opened!

The last time a kid on a crotch rocket tried to go by me while cruisin' The Dragon, he ended up face first in a sand bank and plastic pieces from his bike flew everywhere. :p

The K1200LT handles a whole lot better than one would realize just by looking at it!

To compare the LT to those butt-ugly Hondas is uncalled for!:fight

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

Dude,

:nono If we ever meet on The Tail of The Dragon, you'll get your eyes opened!

The last time a kid on a crotch rocket tried to go by me while cruisin' The Dragon, he ended up face first in a sand bank and plastic pieces from his bike flew everywhere. :p

The K1200LT handles a whole lot better than one would realize just by looking at it!

To compare the LT to those butt-ugly Hondas is uncalled for!:fight

Ride Safely,
BrickRider

Do you really want to compare the twisty road prowess of a GS to an LT?:ha

The GS has gobs more ground clearance and more power and more torque per pound. :deal

FWIW, I had similar experiences with crotch rockets on that road when riding my anemic K75s loaded with a month's worth of gear. Just because they're slow and unskilled doesn't mean you're fast and brilliant. DAMHIK. :D

Ha! I was thinking more like over 100 - comfortably. :stick :bolt

I didn't say on a flat road... :evil The K1200RS is VERY STABLE at 135... :rofl

Oh, yeah, the K12RS's infamous "stability". :ha

Flat or straight is implied whenever you praise the old QE2 K12RS. :deal

"Bring her about!"
"Yes, captain! Plotting...plotting...initiating turn now!"

Oh, yeah, the K12RS's infamous "stability". :ha

Flat or straight is implied whenever you praise the old QE2 K12RS. :deal

"Bring her about!"
"Yes, captain! Plotting...plotting...initiating turn now!"

Oh, now - I suppose that's from direct personal experience - right? You wouldn't just be repeating urban legends, would you? :heh You seem to forget that I live in a state with more real mountains within a hundred miles of me than in nearly all of Oregon, and we have our share of Pterodactyls..er...GSs here, too. :twirl

Fish meet barrel. Barrel meet Fish. :ha

'old' K-bike positives:
1. Feel. If you like that hum, you will love it.
2. Smooth. Boxers are nowhere near as smooth.
3. Precision feel. See #1 and #2. Hitting the starter button feels like you've flipped a switch on an electric motor.
4. Train-like Stability. -ahem- If what you want out of a bike is the ability to go 135 mph for hours on end, it's the bike for you.
5. Impression of power. They always made decent power and with the big whale of a K12RS, made even more.

negatives:
1. Feel. Boring.
2. Stability. Handling is always described with the "despite.." or "for a..." caveat. IOW, the handling isn't very impressive, IMHO.
3. The impression of power is mostly just that, an impression. They're not all that powerful by modern measures and that power comes at the price of weight, weight, weight, weight.
4. Weight, weight, weight.

My GS is no sportbike or dirtbike or purpose built LD bike. But on a fun road, with equivalent riders, it'll stay with or pass the supposed rocket-ship K12RS without any problems. :deal

Oh, now - I suppose that's from direct personal experience - right? You wouldn't just be repeating urban legends, would you? :heh You seem to forget that I live in a state with more real mountains within a hundred miles of me than in nearly all of Oregon, and we have our share of Pterodactyls..er...GSs here, too. :twirl

You may in fact be a brilliant rider. Just imagine how much quicker you'd be if you weren't dragging that beluga of an anchor around. :whistle

Back