• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tank Bag for R1200RT

fastdogs2

I just mounted the Garmin Zumo 550 with the Touratech bracket mount and the locking holder. The bracket fits in between the handlebars and is a really good alternative to handlebar, RAM type mounts.

Unfortunately, now my BMW tank bag does not fit. The mount does not allow the front tank bag attachment points to clear the GPS unit. It's probably just as well, because the tank bag would have blocked the view of the GPS.

I need an alternative for a tank bag. Does anyone know of a tank bag that is smaller than the stock BMW version that will afford a clear view to the GPS where I have it mounted?

Might want to look at either SW-MOTECH bags over at Twisted Throttle - they use a flange that bolts to your gas cap filler hole, or maybe one of the smaller Big Mak tankbags available from Cycle Gadgets.

It will probably be cheaper to mount your GPS up higher - and probably safer as it will be up in your field of view. The Touratech high bar mount or a BMR Products shelf will set you back 1 to 2 hundred bucks, allow you to mount the GPS up high and use your 300 dollar BMW bag, which is custom made for your bike.

Good luck.

Tank bag

I had a Chicane tank bag on my 05 RT and kept it for my 07 f800st. Wouldn't leave home without it.

BlueSeal

:lurk

Thanks for the suggestions! I will research the tank bags y'all have recommended. I like the position of the mount as I have it set up. I can view the Bordcomputer screen and the Zumo is right underneath. The power cord wire is cabled tied to the brake cable, so I have no dangling wire to look at or snag.

I have already spent almost $300 combined on the bracket mount and the locking Touratech GPS mount, so I don't necessarily want to drop another $200-300 on a BMR or RMC mount.

I am just looking for a smaller tank bag that won't interfere with the GPS setup I already have.

Maybe my solution will work for you. I just use an Oxford Sport magnetic bag. The weight of the bag is more than enough to hold it in place on the tank (for about 50,000 miles, so far), there's a strap that goes around the steering head to hold it on the bike. A zipper allows it to expand at the rear to almost twice the size you see in the photo (just the rear pops up, the front doesn't). I just flip it up out of the way to gas up. Even converts to a usable daypack for off-bike activities.

I can see my XM radio without moving forward in the seat...the photo was taken from my eye-view riding position; should be about the same for your Zumo???

Ebay and some online stores carry the bags on a regular basis, for peanuts. No scratches to any of the three bikes I've used it on, the bag itself looks new, and like I said, peanuts.

Clickable pix.

Chicane Tank bag

There is a strap that goes around the stirring column and then one that mounts up under the seat. They each have quick snap connectors allowing you to pop the bag off in a second and install back on in a second. By increasing or decreasing the length of the straps allow you to position the bag from front to back on the top of the tank. The bag itself will increase in height by unzipping the bottom perrimiter. The bag is verywell made and looks like a million bucks on a bike.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-tank-bag/chicane-tank-bag/

BlueSeal

Might want to look at either SW-MOTECH bags over at Twisted Throttle - they use a flange that bolts to your gas cap filler hole, or maybe one of the smaller Big Mak tankbags available from Cycle Gadgets.

It will probably be cheaper to mount your GPS up higher - and probably safer as it will be up in your field of view. The Touratech high bar mount or a BMR Products shelf will set you back 1 to 2 hundred bucks, allow you to mount the GPS up high and use your 300 dollar BMW bag, which is custom made for your bike.

Good luck.

+1

The smaller bag (which is expandable) affords good carrying capacity but does not obstruct instruments / accessories.

I love it!

Tank bag

I don't want anything on top of my tank as I find it "humpy" enough already. I mounted a Cargo brand tank bag on my rear cargo rack. I think it looks pretty good as it is teardrop shaped. Works for me and gives me access to the smaller items commonly found in...well tank bags.

Yes, it does detach using two tabs near the steering head while remaining connected to the velcro near the seat. For fueling I just turn the two tabs, lift the bag from the front and let it lay (upside down, while still connected to the velcro at the bottom) on the seat. Takes five seconds to disconnect, five seconds to reconnect.

Back