Thread: final drive question

larrydk

final drive question

How do I know if my final drive is going bad?? I don't see any fluids leaking.

Occasionally, the bike has come out of 6th gear, but think that was my shifting, not the bike.

Ideas?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larrydk View Post
    How do I know if my final drive is going bad?? I don't see any fluids leaking.

Occasionally, the bike has come out of 6th gear, but think that was my shifting, not the bike.

Ideas?
    Do this once in awhile...grab the rear wheel by the top and bottom and try to rock it. Do the same grabbing it left and right. You may feel the slightest movement which can be ok. Very very slight. If there is any movement at all, determine if it is the pivot bearing for the drive shaft or the wheel. Pivot bearings sometimes wear. This is a good time to check your wheel bolts to the right torque. Draining the drive and inspecting the oil and drain plug for metal. It's ok to have a little powder on the magnet, but not shiny stuff in the oil or particles bigger than a piece of dust.
    Coming out of gear is not the final drive and is usually caused by not getting it securely in gear. I have on all BMW transmissions, kept my foot into keeping the shifter lever up until the clutch is fully out. That elimates it coming out of gear, especially second.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I don't think a final drive going bad would make the bike pop out of 6th gear. I think you are right in your assumption that it is probably your shifting, or it could be a problem with the transmission. I have missed a gear one or twice on different bikes or not shifted firmly and had it "pop" out of gear. Be sure to shift firmly, like you mean for it to be in gear.

As far as the final drive, I cannot help you there. I say ride your bike and enjoy it, don't spend every mile worrying about your final drive.

Put it on the centrestand, in neutral rotate the tire with one hand and place the flat of the other on the hub. As it rotates you should only feel smooth operations, a bad bearing will give off a small vibration. My old R80 has 150K miles on it, have changed the hypoid once a year and the bearings are just fine. The new bikes are even better in this regard (imho) so I wouldn't be too concerned.

larrydk

thanks

My 6000 mile check is coming up....I'm assuming they'll check for issues in this regard.

Thanks for input all