• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel vent hoses in the tank- how to replace

cb75076

I changed the fuel filter on my 1996 R1100RT a month ago. During very hot weather (it's easily 90 degrees plus in the closed garage lately), I noticed a small amount of gas (at most a teaspoon) coming from the vent hose that would go to the canister (that's been removed). Today I noticed the same amount but it came from both vent hoses (overflow and vent). So it looks like the old vent hoses inside the tank have been disturbed or have slight cracks or something. I bought a two meter length of vent hose from the dealer, and am ready to replace the vent hoses inside the tank. I know where the vent hoses connect to the plate where the fuel filter is located. Do I have to also remove the tank filler to get to the stubs where the vent hoses connect at the tank filler end?

Thanks,

Jerry Holtz
NJ

Yes, you need to remove the gas cap assembly and the fuel pump plate assembly on the bottom side. You will need new o-rings for the gas cap assembly and the fuel pump plate, and new clamps for the vent hoses. I would probably change the fuel filter as well.

Beemerboneyard.com has these o-rings and clamps for much less than the dealer charges, although their shipping charges are steep. I think they are in NJ tho....maybe you can pick them up from Mike directly and save a few $$.

I thought I read somewhere that the vent hoses inside the tank are made of a special rubber that resists constant gasoline exposure. I could be wrong on this. Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Now would be a perfect time to move the filter out of the gas tank.
Be sure and use gasoline submersible hose for everything inside the tank.

Back