• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fairings and windshields

devo

I am a new R65 owner and am loving this bike. The bike came with a fairing that carries the BMW logo on the underside, but I've only seen one like it anywhere else. The fairing doesn't give me as much wind protection as I'd like, so I'd like to extend the protection up with a small windshield, keeping the fairing. Anybody seen this kind of fairing before? Any idea where I can get a windshield to fit? I have attached a pic.

Attachments

• fairinglr.jpg
    fairinglr.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 273
This is a BMW "cockpit" fairing, part number (in primer) 46 63 1 240 829. No windscreen is shown in the microfiche.

R65 Fairing Windscreen

I just bought, about a month ago, a 1982 R65 LS with a full Pichler fairing. It had a Gustafsson windscreen, and I have contacted Leif Gustafsson at his plant in St. Augustine, Florida. They have an impressive web site, and he's a really nice guy. I'm going to get a taller windscreen from him. If you send him your photo and measurements, he should be able to fix you up with something. If not, write back to me - I have an alternative. Good luck.

winscreens for r65

I have contacted Gustafasson, and they claim anything they have would mean drilling the fairing, which I'm told would be a big mistake. However, I just today received a copy of "Motorcyclist" from June 1981 which I got on ebay. In it they profile the 1981 R85 and show a "clear fairing" they put on it by Saeng called "the Pilot." It is really cool in that there is no cut out for the headlight, it covers everything. It looks very good and I know it would work with my cockpit fairing. I doubt the company is still in business, though. Incidentally the 1981 R65 came in last in comparison with about 9 other similar bikes.

Back