• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike to Bike Communication

What medium for bike to bike communication?

• CB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FRS

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Hand Signals

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don't wanna communicate, I just wanna ride

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Cell phones

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
So I am looking at the communication solutions. Yup, there are lots of them out there. One can get all sorts of solutions, but there is one thing that is not always thought about. What should I use to talk to other riders?

Basically I am trying to figure out FRS (Family Radio System) or CB (Citizen Band) for the link to the rest of the riders.

As I am planning my ride to Spokane, I figure I will meet some other riders and it might be nice to make contact with them. So what is the more popular solution?:dunno

Yes, I have thought about HAM radio, but don't think it is as mainstream.

Thanks.

HAM radip lets you talk to dudes in station wagons and mini vans. For most, I would imagine CB is the better way to go. You are most likely to find most gold wing riders on CB, and it is handier for traffic and weather info. (those truckers need something to talk about). If I flash my lights at you and point to the side if the road, I am going to pull over:bliss . If I take my foot and point as I ride, stay away from that area. Stop signs are good too. I would rather have music on a long trip. I have an Iriver cd/mp3/fm radio that works great in my autocom. http://www.iriveramerica.com/
Remember, you have to have something to talk about with these people when you aren't riding.

RE: Iriver FM/CD/mpeg

TO: Lorazepam

Which model did you get, and where did you mount it? TIA

I have a slim X 350. I have it in my tank bag, with a cord going under the seats to the tail section where the autocom is located. It works well, but I want to get a hard drive player, and mount it in the tail as well, and use the remote to turn it on and off.

I like having the radio along with being able to plau cd's. A cd with mp3's will play for hours, and I can vary the tunes with the disks. I have a power source for the player, so I don't worry about the battery running down.

these guys make good stuff, and I think it is a better value than an iPod.

Communications

Talking to other riders is a long shot.
FRS/GMRS does not comm to CB and visa versa. HAM radio is good to communicate to the 'outside world' . I got my license to do just that, getting communication out to report problems of the ride. (Frustrated at the cell phone 'holes'. )

I would say it is up to the 'group'. Sport riders go with FRS/Chatterbox. Crusiers/touring go to CB. And a few are up at the HAM radio.

Back