• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 R80 RT heated grip switch

mikebowlin

I know its summer and I shouldn't need the heat,BUT I would like to figure this out before the cold comes. The switch on my grips when pushed down gives me lots of heat. But I am told that they are hi/low. When I push the switch up it does NOT click and stay up as it does when I push down. So I figure the switch is bad. I purchase a new switch pt # 61 31 1 243 454 It acts exactly the same way. So what gives do I have only 1 postion or another bad switch?

I'm not sure what you mean "exactly" when you say you push the switch up. I have the stock switch on my set of heated grips on a 1986 R80RT and it is a "rocker" switch. It is mounted in the handle bar pad directly over the steering head. When it is off it is in a neutral position where the surface of the switch is parallel with the surface of the mounting pad but both ends are up say a quarter of an inch or so. When you want the low setting you push down towards the steering head. In other words you don't slide it down towards the gas tank but rather push it down into the mounting surface and then that end of the switch is flush with the mounting surface and the other end is up twice as high as it was in the neutral/off position. When you want to go back to off you push down on the top part of the switch only until the rocker is neutral again. When you want the high setting you push down on the top of the switch. Again......it's not sliding down toward the gas tank or down toward the bottom of the switch but rather down into the mounting surface. The switch is a rocker and you should feel a detent in the neutral position and easily be able to determine high, low and off.

heated grip switch

That is what I am saying also. Its supposed to be a rocker switch. When I push the top, it pushes in but doesn't stay it goes back to center.
When I push the bottom it stays down and gets very warm. I watch my voltmeter and the volts drop when the bottom is pushed. It doesn't move when I push the top half. So I ordered a new switch. It acts exactly the same although I haven't installed it, only dry run. But I don't see it acting any differently when installed.
HELP! Thanks

OK so that answers my question. I guess the dealer parts guy just made $38 off me. He assured me it has high and low. So I took his work and bought the switch.
It only took 3 weeks to get it besides.
Thanks for the answers and I'll learn to turn it on and off.
Happy riding

Back