• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

''03 K1200 RS Cam Cvr Oil Leak?

98lee

3 Red Bricks
Staff member
The valve cover gasket is not squeezed by the pressure of the valve cover bolts (they are designed to bottom out, so tightening the further than the 6.5 ft/lb recomended torque will not put any more force on the gasket, but WILL result in stripped threads in the head)

Pressure to seal the gasket relies on the elasticity of the rubber bushings that surround the valve cover (and crank cover) bolts. After time and exposure to heat, these become hard and do not transfer enough squeeze to the gasket. This is very common on older K-bikes. Maybe, because of the increased shrouding that the newer style fairings provide, the newer bikes might have this happen sooner.:dunno

The part number for the bushings is:11141461475 Rubber Bush $1.52ea
You will need 11 of them.

:dance :dance :dance

18K on the bike. Neoprene washers are in good shape.

Yes, I'm aware of the cam cover bolt tightening technique and the fact that they "bottom out". I'm using the proper methods as spelled out in the Clymer manual and it still leaks. I'll try the Yamabond next time around. I'm about to ride to Illinois and back so I'll see how much of a mess it makes during the next 3000 miles. Thanks to both of you for your quick response.

Go to your friendly Yamaha dealer and get some Yamabond. It is with out a doubt the very best sealer I have used. It is expensive around $12 a tube. Coat both sides of the gasket with Yamabond and bolt it up. It won't leak. Some motorcycle mechanics use Yamabond and leave the gaskets out. I have it sealing the oil pan on my K100LT and have used it on several other motorcycle and auto applications. No drips.

Ralph Sims

I guess I should have added, even though the Yamabond should cure your oil leak, it will be tougher when you check your valves and you might even need a new gasket at that time. Your valve cover could be warped preventing a gasket seal.

Ralph Sims

Back