Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bear Market

Cool Bear Market

FWIW -

Today, having dropped more than 20% from its recent high, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) officially transitioned into a Bear Market status. Given the dire financial condition of Ford and GM, and steady rise in the cost of oil, chickens may also come home to roost for BMW.

Likewise, most of our investment portfolios have taken a double beating, when real estate prices and the subprime meltdown are factored in.

J.K.

A long storm.

After the central banks can no longer manipulate the price of gold, the Dow will settle in at 10% of the price of gold.

Right now, the DOW is overpriced by 2000 points. Expect gold to climb, and the DOW to drop, until this metric is reached.

Conservative foreign stocks that pay dividends in foreign currencies, is the best way to preserve wealth as the dollar continues it's fall.
    Sig? What's a Sig?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sjbmw View Post
    Right now, the DOW is overpriced by 2000 points. Expect gold to climb, and the DOW to drop, until this metric is reached.

Hi SJBMW -

Another 1,000 to 1,500 pt. drop in the DOW can be expected, if the auto industry shakes out like the airline industry. Toss in military action against Iran and the resulting disruption in oil supply, and an additional 25% drop could occur.

In short, expect the hedge funds to get another clipping.

J.K.

Rally Rat
    JK

Do you just get bored occasionally, or what?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    JK

Do you just get bored occasionally, or what?
    Thanks for the piercing question.

With more than 25 years of active MOA membership under my belt, and three BMW motorcycles under title, thought I earned the right of Forum participation.

Maybe I was wrong.

J.K.

P.S. What's your excuse?

I should convert part of my portfolio to cash and buy a new motorcycle. There's a catch though, there isn't a motorcycle I like more than the R1200RT I already have.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    Thanks for the piercing question.

P.S. What's your excuse?
    I have no excuses for my piercing questions. I have no intellectual expertise. I only have one BMW. I am clearly not worthy to post.

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    I have no excuses for my piercing questions. I have no intellectual expertise. I only have one BMW. I am clearly not worthy to post.
    But if you're in the market for a bear, clearly now is the time to buy! Ha Ha!

RM

I find this current situation unbearable, but I will try to bear up under the pressure thus bareing my true self for all to see. For those of you who barely understand this viewpoit, it's worth bearing in mind that it is all a matter of perspective and that for some, the discussion has barely begun......

Wow, I even made myself ill there
    Steve Marquardt

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    I find this current situation unbearable, but I will try to bear up under the pressure thus bareing my true self for all to see. For those of you who barely understand this viewpoit, it's worth bearing in mind that it is all a matter of perspective and that for some, the discussion has barely begun......

Wow, I even made myself ill there
    Given Ford and GM's dire financial situation and cashflow crunch (i.e. GMAC made more profits from financing than GM made from manufacturing prior to sub-prime meltdown), BMW is also slashing capital expenditures and manufacturing production in anticipation of a World down-turn.

This will have a direct impact on BMW Motorrad in the immediate future.

J.K.

P.S. Dr. J.K. says take two cylinders for a spin, and see me in the morning, if things don't feel better....

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    Given Ford and GM's dire financial situation and cashflow crunch (i.e. GMAC made more profits from financing than GM made from manufacturing prior to sub-prime meltdown), BMW is also slashing capital expenditures and manufacturing production in anticipation of a World down-turn.

This will have a direct impact on BMW Motorrad in the immediate future.

J.K.

P.S. Dr. J.K. says take two cylinders for a spin, and see me in the morning, if things don't feel better....
    There was a thread awhile ago about small displacement bikes, and I still feel that the downturn in some markets is someone’s upturn when it comes to motorcycles. Does the consumer want a 50cc scooter? Talk to him next January after some real cold hits the area; no, what the consumer wants is a street bike, with heated grips and seat, windscreen and fairing and enough get up and go to do the average interstate blacktop. The scooter fad will fade, but I think if a certain brand of motorcycle was to market 250-400 cc bikes, and do them with the above features along with nice wide street tires, there is beginning to be a market here and world wide for such a bike.

Back when that thread was written, the general consensus (not mine but everybody else) poo pooed that idea, saying America had no interest in small street bikes like that. I say go to the pump and look, just look at the price of gas; and your wrong. This bike could have an impact. And the bike manufacturer could make a profit.

And no, I dont have documented sources for this info, for those few who are looking to tear it up; it's just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    There was a thread awhile ago about small displacement bikes, and I still feel that the downturn in some markets is someone‘«÷s upturn when it comes to motorcycles. Does the consumer want a 50cc scooter? Talk to him next January after some real cold hits the area; no, what the consumer wants is a street bike, with heated grips and seat, windscreen and fairing and enough get up and go to do the average interstate blacktop. The scooter fad will fade, but I think if a certain brand of motorcycle was to market 250-400 cc bikes, and do them with the above features along with nice wide street tires, there is beginning to be a market here and world wide for such a bike.

Back when that thread was written, the general consensus (not mine but everybody else) poo pooed that idea, saying America had no interest in small street bikes like that. I say go to the pump and look, just look at the price of gas; and your wrong. This bike could have an impact. And the bike manufacturer could make a profit.
    Scooter sales in Dallas have been pretty hot for some time now.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    Scooter sales in Dallas have been pretty hot for some time now.
    i hear that the hottest segment of the mc market is the 250-400cc dual sport and motard-style bikes.

my son rides our 90mpg klr250 to work everyday, 40 miles+ roundtrip. I think he spends <$20/week for gas.

Buy ATV stocks. They are everywhere here, you can make them street legal and we now have something lower on the respect totem pole than the motorcyclists and the scooters: the truck drivers hate the car drivers, the car drivers hate the two-wheelers but we ALL hate the ATV hacks.

shire2000
    You are all wrong. Go buy a 650cc size bike with a blown motor. Convert the whole thing to electric and run it off 4 12Volt deep cycle marine batteries. People are already doing it. Getting as much as 100 miles on a charge at 50MPH. Makes for a great commuter bike. Then when the really good batteries come down in price, all you need to do is swap them with the lead acid ones. Get even more milage and speed. It is truly amazing the ingenuity that people come up with every time there is a major down turn in the market.

I have already done this with my Craftsman lawn tractor by ripping out the 20HP Kohler and installing an electric motor from a golf cart. I can mow up to 2 acres of grass at a time (I only have 1.2 acres to mow). Recharges overnight on 110V. 2 months ago it was costing me $10 in gas to mow the same yard, now it is pennies per charge.

Next project will be Solar Panel installation on the garage roof to charge everything up. Save even more money to spend on a new bike. YEAH!!!

Electric is the way to go.