Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by YeehaStephen View Post
    Anyone done the Alienist and/or the sequel The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr?

Late 1800's New York City crime drama with Teddy Roosevelt as one of the characters.

Was binge watching the TV series and wondered if I should bother with the books.

SS
    I read them both several years ago. I thought they were pretty good, definitely worth a read. I've only watched a couple of the episodes of the series. I think the books were better (they usually are).
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

I'm working thru Ron Chernow's 'Grant'. A little different perspective than some of the other stuff I've read about him and the Civil War in general.

I started it a while back and then diverted to read Grant's personal memoir...Chernow quotes it a lot in his book so I decided it would be worth a read too. Back to Chernow's book now.
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

I think another good read on Grant is in the Civil War Series 'Battles and Leaders of the Civil War.' The book series is recollections of all the pertinent participants of the war from both sides. It's interesting to see Grant give his accounts, as well as his commanding officers and the officers who served on under him. And it takes into account the officers and leaders of the CSA, who opposed him. Also, if you get the chance, to visit his birth place in southern, Ohio the little city of Pt. Pleasant. It was a small Ohio River hamlet, really a frontier settlement. The little cottage size house was very close to the Ohio River. Across the river was the slave holding state of Kentucky. So Grant spent a lifetime being close to and around slaves and slave owners. His father in law being one of those. Yes, Grant grew up in very humble circumstances, but rose to the highest echelons in American history. I'm planning on reading Chernow's book. Thanks, Barry.

'Experiencing GOD' by Henry and Richard Blackaby and Claude King. Knowing and Doing the Will of God. The book is more than just a narrative read, but is somewhat more of a workbook. Pretty in depth for a layman, such as myself. Very much informative and humbling at the same time. If achieving a deeper, fuller Chistian experience is important, this might be for you. Barry. ISBN 978-1-4158-5838-7

A reprint of the Rough Riders, by Theodore Roosevelt himself. Interesting contrast of writing style of a modern author as compared to what Teddy penned himself shortly after his "adventures" in Cuba.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    I think another good read on Grant is in the Civil War Series 'Battles and Leaders of the Civil War.' The book series is recollections of all the pertinent participants of the war from both sides. ...
    Thanks, I'll check it out. I've found the stuff written by the guys themselves is pretty interesting. Second (or more) hand accounts are OK but there's nothing like getting it straight from the horse's mouth.
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War

IMG_0809.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    It's a 4 volume series. Good stuff if your a Civil War buff. Grant is obviously one of the central participants of this war, from the beginning to the end.

Harry Potter, again.
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

Zeke and Ned by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. I'm not into westerns and stuff like that, but I make an exception for McMurtry because I like how we writes.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Started reading Artemis by Andy Weir (The Martian) two days ago. I picked up King Bhumibol Adulyadej: A Life's Work while we were in Thailand. Spouse is reading now, and that's next on the list for me.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    'Experiencing GOD' by Henry and Richard Blackaby and Claude King. Knowing and Doing the Will of God. The book is more than just a narrative read, but is somewhat more of a workbook. Pretty in depth for a layman, such as myself. Very much informative and humbling at the same time. If achieving a deeper, fuller Chistian experience is important, this might be for you. Barry. ISBN 978-1-4158-5838-7
    IMG_0935.jpg
    13 session Bible Study. I've completed 9 sessions. I've been completely humbled. Thought I was an average middle of the road student of the Bible. I'm not even close. Last lesson I had to rate myself on Obedience to God. O being totally disobedient to 10 being Jesus Christ. I rated myself a 2, that would be a D- , I guess. The next question was, How would God rate me. I didn't even answer the question. I plan on finishing the Bible Study and may take this study again next year to improve my score and obedience. Thought I would give report in mid course.

Getting ready to start Origins by Dan Brown.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I'm in the middle of Revelation by John. Just finished reading about the four horsemen of the Apocalypse.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

I'm about 2/3 of the way through An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield. It's a good read.

I'm alternating between Little Women by Louisa May Alcot and The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben.............Rod
    Work is the curse of the riding class