Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Every once in a while I get a sci-fi itch. I just finished reading an old Asimov book, "The End of Eternity". I had borrowed from my father's adolescent collection from the 50's and 60's. It was somewhere between quaint and entertaining.

There's a stack of books on the nightstand. I haven't decided what to read next.

What are you reading? Any good?
    I love asimov... my favorite was his trilogy called "the foundation"

it featured a concept of a mutant who could see and set the emotions of people. wouldn't that be nice?

right now I am just starting to read "the quest for democracy in iran: a century of struggle against authoritarian rule" by fakhrsddin azimi.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I love asimov... my favorite was his trilogy called "the foundation"

it featured a concept of a mutant who could see and set the emotions of people. wouldn't that be nice?

right now I am just starting to read "the quest for democracy in iran: a century of struggle against authoritarian rule" by fakhrsddin azimi.

ian
    I grew up on Asimov. Reading it now, while I enjoy it and respect his exploration of what were then new and/or innovative ideas, there's a peculiar and ugly ruthlessness to many of his lead characters. He seems to admire the calculated and manipulative man who eschews romantic notions of good and bad. Its as though Machiavelli's ideas of the means and the end are the right ideas.

Nevermind his distrust of anything female. But then it wouldn't be sci-fi if women weren't simultaneously dangerous sorceresses and beguiling innocents.

But, again, I really like it for what it is. I reread the Foundation series not long ago. Good stuff.

BUBBAZANETTI
    reading is for nerds. im glad the ON has pictures in it or i wouldn't even bother opening it. i'm currently "reading" a book features photos of seagulls.

Funny about Asimov. I've never read him, but I remember reading a columnist who described him as "the steak-and-buffet reastaurant of American literature. What he lacks in quality, he makes up in quantity." The writer went on with the comparison by saying that if you didn't like what Asimov had out any moment, no worries, just wait a sec and he'll bring something else out to the buffet.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

As for what I'm reading, it's an old hardcover book I found in a La Madeleine one night. It's called Dallas Public And Private...Aspects Of An American City. Published in 1964, this book digs into the psychology and organisation of the city that killed Kennedy. Really interesting stuff, especially its indictments of angry right-wing absolutists and how un-Americanly they behaved in a bygone Dallas.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    Every once in a while I get a sci-fi itch...What are you reading? Any good?
    I'd like to recommend Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" - Brilliant.

Fight Doctor

Good book if you're interested in Muhammad Ali's career or professional boxing in general - by his fight doctor, Ferdie Pacheco. Picked it up on Amazon for my Kindle. Humorous, insightful, hard to put it down.
    Lee
    Wilsonville, OR
    '03 R1150RT, 125K mi

"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus". Written by Nabeel Qureshi.

It's the story of how Nabeel came to Christ as a devout Muslim. It talks of the struggles he had accepting that Mohamed wasn't who he had been told he was all the years he was growing up. And about how in the end, he couldn't help but to accept that the Jesus of the Bible was true.

I picked it up from the library in ebook format. I'm putting it on my Christmas list to put into my library. It is that good.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

The Escape by David Baldacci.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 11-14-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The Escape by David Baldacci.
    Read that earlier in the year and recently finshed the next book in the series, No Mans Land.

Now I'm reading The Fix. The is a Amos Decker series also written by Baldacci.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Read that earlier in the year and recently finshed the next book in the series, No Mans Land.

Now I'm reading The Fix. The is a Amos Decker series also written by Baldacci.
    A friend gave me several of his novels. I tend to get into books by an author and then read all of his/her books that I can get my hands on.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

The Last Panther by Faust.

A well-written survival story and history lesson.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus by Nabeel Qureshi.

From Amazon's description:
    Nabeel Qureshi describes his dramatic journey from Islam to Christianity, complete with friendships, investigations, and supernatural dreams along the way.

Providing an intimate window into a loving Muslim home, Qureshi shares how he developed a passion for Islam before discovering, almost against his will, evidence that Jesus rose from the dead and claimed to be God. Unable to deny the arguments but not wanting to deny his family, Qureshi struggled with an inner turmoil that will challenge Christians, Muslims, and all those who are interested in the world’s greatest religions.

Engaging and thought-provoking, Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus tells a powerful story of the clash between Islam and Christianity in one man’s heart—and of the peace he eventually found in Jesus.
    I found it extremely thought provoking.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    The BMW MOA Forums. A compelling mystery story with many plot lines, hidden messages, fascinating character conflicts, occasional moments of truth, a large measure of fantasy and paranoia and fleeting moments of truth. Could be a contender for a Nobel prize in the Fiction category.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely