• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What are you reading?

I just finished Nobody's Fool, then went on to Everybody's Fool, both by Richard Russo. Set 10 years apart in the same small town with the same cast of characters. Good reads, both.

Looking for something else to catch my attention, but most of my 'reading list' is unavailable on the library app at the moment.

I really enjoy reading Richard Russo. I've read just about everything he's written. If you like him as much as I, you will enjoy reading "Elsewhere: A Memoir." In Memoir he chronicles live with his mother.

Good reading,
E.

Grain Brain, D. Perlmutter MD, 2013. Kinda blows the carb/sugar no fat outta the water. Much has been learned since 1977. Nutritionally. Beer? A sticky wicket.

How to change your mind : what the new science of psychedelics teaches us about consciousness, dying, addiction, depression, and transcendence
Author: Pollan, Michael

Being Mortal, by Atul Gawande. Examines why we stick people in old folks homes. How we could think about the question of what is living when we age, or get sick. Or our parents age and in that, conversations with parents, or kids, that should be had now. I picked it up when my mom passed after having Alzheimer’s. Totally reshaped my conversations with my dad and my kids. To me,it was an important read.

Being Mortal, by Atul Gawande. Examines why we stick people in old folks homes. How we could think about the question of what is living when we age, or get sick. Or our parents age and in that, conversations with parents, or kids, that should be had now. I picked it up when my mom passed after having Alzheimer’s. Totally reshaped my conversations with my dad and my kids. To me,it was an important read.

Thumbs up! Read this upon its release and have since bought dozens of copies given to friends. Had I the funds, I would send a copy to every member of Congress and all of their staff. I've since read other pieces, mostly essays, by the author - all equally insightful, tender and poignant. I've noticed several other physicians with roots in India are also very good authors, some winning Pulitzer prizes.

Black Thursday by Martin Caidin. It's the story of what is still regarded as the greatest aerial battle in the history of war. The U.S. strategic planners decided the way to stop Germany was to bomb their ball bearing factories, which were centered around the city of Schweinfurt. The book covers in detail the B 17 mission to bomb those factories and the furious German air and ground defense. I was fortunate to take a ride a couple of years ago in a B 17, so that made the story and first person descriptions of fighting in a B 17 even more interesting. If you enjoy WWII history, as I do, this is a good one.

What Are You Reading?

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

No one’s ever told Eleanor that life should be better than fine.

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond’s big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

Soon to be a major motion picture produced by Reese Witherspoon, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is the smart, warm, and uplifting story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes. . .

The only way to survive is to open your heart.

I usually read adventure novels, history, etc. but our book club at work chose this for our January read and it was excellent. There's a couple of surprises at the end that tie the story together as well as I've ever read.

I have developed a fascination with Iceland. I am reading everything written by Arnaldur Indridason and Yrsa Sigurdardottir and Ragnar Jonasson. Great mysteries and terrific look into Icelandic culture.

Plus, I am lately spending a fair amount of time thinking about the universe and my place in it. I have read most of Stephen Hawking's books for a second and third time.

Explaining Postmodernism, Rousseau to Foucault, Hicks. Explains why we can't discuss politics. And this is not a political troll. Great read on how we got from the Enlightenment to chaos. Sheesh. Just sayin, two scents, FWIW.

Just finished reading The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, an English author. It's a story about a very successful and happily married woman who is found not guilty by reason of insanity in the shooting death of her husband. The plot centers around the psychologist who's having a difficult time treating the woman due to her insanity, and inability to speak.

It's a good read that's been on the NY Times bestseller list for 24 weeks.

Last edited:
How to lose a country : the seven steps from democracy to dictatorship
by Ece Temelkuran.

Fascinating read by Turkish journalist. It's today's history being enacted before our very eyes.

Back