• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What are you reading?

I am in the middle of Old Man's War. Solid book if you are in to Sci-fi.

John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce—and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stake our own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at the front. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine—and what he will become is far stranger.

Excellent analysis

Stuff that is important to know in these times...

Attachments

• A519F2A9-D295-41A5-894C-601138679093.jpeg
    A519F2A9-D295-41A5-894C-601138679093.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
I've read the series of Old Man's War - great stuff! (Note: "Zoe's Tale" is an aside, and is not necessary to the overall scheme.) Scalzi is fun stuff.

I've also read the series by Ian Douglas, also great stuff but you should have some science background (and a lot of endurance) to fully appreciate them:
The Heritage Trilogy, The Legacy Trilogy, The Inheritance Trilogy, Star Corpsman (2 books), the Star Carrier series (7 books), and Andromedan Dark (2 books). Best read in order to preserve continuity.

It's a nasty universe out there...

At the moment reading Death Toll by Jim Kelly and I’m quite enjoying it. That makes about 50 books since my last post.

Right now I am on "Weimar Germany" by Eric Weitz. not quite a text book, but certainly not a novel. Very full of truth about Germany between the world wars. Violent conflicts between the extreme rights and lefts, ineffective central leadership and an informed populace distracted from politics by harsh economic conditions and new found personal freedoms to express hedonism

It seemed like a good time to explore that period

The Higdon Chronicles by Robert E. Higdon

A compilation of some of Bob's best writing over the years. A very good read.

Today I am reading The Japanese Corpse by Janwillem van de Wetering which is proving interesting so far.

Weimar Germany sounds interesting too.

Yesterday I finished James Patterson Sail and today I finished Nora Roberts Face the Fire which put me into Iris Johansen Eght Days to Live.

Just finished" Beneath a Scarlet Sky" by Mark Sullivan. True story about a young hero in Italy during the last years of WWII. It's also an interesting historical perspective about the suffering by the many Italians that didn't support the Fascist government of Mussolini. Well written...one of those books you can't put down.

Just started Michael Connolly's the Back Ice and a couple of days nto another book but I forget the name offhand

Still reading Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins and just started an odd little book called Call me Mrs Miracle.

One of the best things about being at work is lots of time to read. 7 books in just over a week

Finished Mrs Miracle same day started Throne of Jade, book 3 of Temeraire series by Naomi Novak. Finished Girl on a Train today starting Sarum by Edward Rutherford tomorrow. Downloaded a couple note books to my Kindle to keep me going for a few more days.

Why Meadow Died, the people and policies that created the Parkland shooter and endanger America's students, 2019, Pollack/Eden.

Bring a box of Kleenex. Would like to say more but am too upset, to say more. One thing, however, Promise program.

It's a really difficult read.

Switching between the original John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs (OK, I'm actually re-reading it, or is it the 3rd time I've read it?) and Lights Out by Ted Koppel. So switching between SciFi/Fantasy and potential real life horror.

Back