Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by beckgr View Post
    Being Mortal, by Atul Gawande. Examines why we stick people in old folks homes. How we could think about the question of what is living when we age, or get sick. Or our parents age and in that, conversations with parents, or kids, that should be had now. I picked it up when my mom passed after having Alzheimer’s. Totally reshaped my conversations with my dad and my kids. To me,it was an important read.
    Thumbs up! Read this upon its release and have since bought dozens of copies given to friends. Had I the funds, I would send a copy to every member of Congress and all of their staff. I've since read other pieces, mostly essays, by the author - all equally insightful, tender and poignant. I've noticed several other physicians with roots in India are also very good authors, some winning Pulitzer prizes.
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '17 R1200 GSA

Black Thursday by Martin Caidin. It's the story of what is still regarded as the greatest aerial battle in the history of war. The U.S. strategic planners decided the way to stop Germany was to bomb their ball bearing factories, which were centered around the city of Schweinfurt. The book covers in detail the B 17 mission to bomb those factories and the furious German air and ground defense. I was fortunate to take a ride a couple of years ago in a B 17, so that made the story and first person descriptions of fighting in a B 17 even more interesting. If you enjoy WWII history, as I do, this is a good one.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Lee Child, "Die Trying," a Jack Reacher yarn.
    I've read all the Jack Reacher series, good books

Now I'm reading White Fire, book #13 in the Agent Pendergast series, written by Preston & Child.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

What Are You Reading?

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

No one’s ever told Eleanor that life should be better than fine.

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond’s big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

Soon to be a major motion picture produced by Reese Witherspoon, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is the smart, warm, and uplifting story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes. . .

The only way to survive is to open your heart.

I usually read adventure novels, history, etc. but our book club at work chose this for our January read and it was excellent. There's a couple of surprises at the end that tie the story together as well as I've ever read.

I have developed a fascination with Iceland. I am reading everything written by Arnaldur Indridason and Yrsa Sigurdardottir and Ragnar Jonasson. Great mysteries and terrific look into Icelandic culture.

Plus, I am lately spending a fair amount of time thinking about the universe and my place in it. I have read most of Stephen Hawking's books for a second and third time.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I hadn't read a Clancy novel for a while, so last week I picked up "Threat Vector" at the library.

Just finished Chris Scott's Desert Travels: Motorcycle Journeys in the Sahara. Not a bad read.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Explaining Postmodernism, Rousseau to Foucault, Hicks. Explains why we can't discuss politics. And this is not a political troll. Great read on how we got from the Enlightenment to chaos. Sheesh. Just sayin, two scents, FWIW.

Just finished reading The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, an English author. It's a story about a very successful and happily married woman who is found not guilty by reason of insanity in the shooting death of her husband. The plot centers around the psychologist who's having a difficult time treating the woman due to her insanity, and inability to speak.

It's a good read that's been on the NY Times bestseller list for 24 weeks.
    Last edited by easy; 08-04-2019 at 05:26 PM.

How to lose a country : the seven steps from democracy to dictatorship
    by Ece Temelkuran.

Fascinating read by Turkish journalist. It's today's history being enacted before our very eyes.
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

I am in the middle of Old Man's War. Solid book if you are in to Sci-fi.

John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce—and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stake our own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at the front. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine—and what he will become is far stranger.

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

Excellent analysis

Stuff that is important to know in these times...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've read the series of Old Man's War - great stuff! (Note: "Zoe's Tale" is an aside, and is not necessary to the overall scheme.) Scalzi is fun stuff.

I've also read the series by Ian Douglas, also great stuff but you should have some science background (and a lot of endurance) to fully appreciate them:
    The Heritage Trilogy, The Legacy Trilogy, The Inheritance Trilogy, Star Corpsman (2 books), the Star Carrier series (7 books), and Andromedan Dark (2 books). Best read in order to preserve continuity.

It's a nasty universe out there...

At the moment reading Death Toll by Jim Kelly and I’m quite enjoying it. That makes about 50 books since my last post.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk