Thread: Shoei X-11 versus Shoei Multitec

Shoei X-11 versus Shoei Multitec

I saw BeemerMike's Multitec review in another thread and thought I'd ask if anyone else could add to it. Hopefully, BeemerMike will have a thought or two. My X-11 is the best helmet I've ever owned. I've had it for 30,000 miles and over two years. It fits perfectly, is light, and vents well. But one day it'll be retired and I've been eyeballing the Multitec. I have a Shoei head and I've worn Shoei for well over a decade, so I'm sticking with Shoei. Some questions:

• Fit: is one size in the X-11 the same as the Multitec (I wear an XL in the X-11)?
    • Can you remove the liner? IMHO, washing the liner is a big deal.
    • Can you remove the cheekpads and replace them with a different size?
    • Does it feel heavier than the X-11? IMHO, the X-11 is a marvelously light helmet (certainly lighter than the RF1000 and all its RF predecessors).

Anything else that anybody can think of?

BTW, here's BeemerMike's excellent little write-up of the Multitec. Hope he sees this as he replaced an X-11!

Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    OK, I took my new Shoei Multitec on a 1,960-mile shakedown ride this past weekend (Houston to Orange to Anthony to Alpine to Del Rio to Houston).

Bottom line - great helmet . . . although of course not the cheapest helmet.

Very comfortable, with no hot spots right out of the box (seems to have a slightly different interior shape than my Shoei X-11, with a little more room in front of my nose). Probably will need little, if any, fine-tuning of the hard foam. The first day it was on my head for about 17 hours and still felt good at the end. Eyeglass frame cutouts (slots) in the interior side foam are very convenient. Uses the same facehshields as the X-11. Fit and finish, and quality of construction seem excellent. Good air flow, with a noticeable difference when you open and close the vents. Also, the vents are much more intuitive as to whether they are open or closed than some of the vents on the X-11. The flip-up mechanism works very well, opens easily (and stays open), and locks securely. The release latch (in the front near the bottom) is easy to find and use with gloves on, and released easily with no need to fidget with it to open helmet. Helmet is fairly quiet, even out in West Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph . . . I even got to comparison test it on one leg when I forgot to put in ONE ear plug (EAR Classic tapered foam), so I could easily compare the noise level with and without ear plugs.

Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    [*]Fit: is one size in the X-11 the same as the Multitec (I wear an XL in the X-11)?
    For me, yes, the sizing is the same. I wear a Small in the X-11, and a Small in the Multitec. I tried a Medium in the Multitec, and it was just a little loose. The Small in the X-11 is a little tighter than the Multitec, but as I said in my other post, the interior shape seems a little different between the two, so this may account for the different feel.

[*]Can you remove the liner? IMHO, washing the liner is a big deal.
    No. However, I always wear one of those cotton helmet "skull cap" things, which keeps the interior of the helmet cleaner. I just wash the skull cap.

[*]Can you remove the cheekpads and replace them with a different size?
    Yes. They attach with small plastic snap fittings. I think Shoei makes five sizes. Being able to remove them will also help in installing helmet speakers (or, for me, the Autocom system).

[*]Does it feel heavier than the X-11? IMHO, the X-11 is a marvelously light helmet (certainly lighter than the RF1000 and all its RF predecessors).
    I held them both together, and don't remember any significant difference. The Multitec did NOT feel heavy even after 17 hours.

BTW, here's BeemerMike's excellent little write-up of the Multitec. Hope he sees this as he replaced an X-11!
    I did not replace the X-11. I will use them both, although I'm interested to see which one I end up using more. The X-11 has a little tighter fit and less room in front of my face, and when I wear glasses the sideframes create a pressure point after a while. The Multitec has cut-outs for glasses. I'll probably use the X-11 when I am wearing contacts, and use the Multitec when I'm wearing glasses or when I want to use the soon-to-be-installed Autocom system.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

Thank you.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847