• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'09 F650GS twin

What's to continue?
You're arguing that chain is a bad idea on a dirt-oriented bike and that the steel will make the bike handle poorly and heavy. Chain in the dirt is the well proven standard and what the best dirt bike manufacturers use and the best dirt riders demand. A steel frame may in fact be a sliver heavier, but not enough to matter when riding in the real world, and there is no evidence that it came with a handling penalty.

And 10 lbs? Geez. :ha

As far as I can tell, you were never ever the target customer and are convinced that the F800S is the single best bike ever, that any place that the other new F-models diverge from its brochure highlights is a mistake. I'm glad you like your bike.
:dunno

p.s. Shaft drive shines in the dirt... :D That's funny.

What's to continue?
You're arguing that chain is a bad idea on a dirt-oriented bike and that the steel will make the bike handle poorly and heavy. Chain in the dirt is the well proven standard and what the best dirt bike manufacturers use and the best dirt riders demand. A steel frame may in fact be a sliver heavier, but not enough to matter when riding in the real world, and there is no evidence that it came with a handling penalty.

And 10 lbs? Geez. :ha

As far as I can tell, you were never ever the target customer and are convinced that the F800S is the single best bike ever, that any place that the other new F-models diverge from its brochure highlights is a mistake. I'm glad you like your bike.
:dunno

p.s. Shaft drive shines in the dirt... :D That's funny.

1. All I said was "I consider it quite unfortunate that the engineers also cheapened out the GS with that chain and that steel tube trellis frame." You blew that way out of proportion.

2. I love both the GS's and if I can swing the funds, I may add one to the S. But the frame is more than 10 lbs; you can add most the weight missing from the lighter wheels to that frame, as well.

3. I am not convinced "the F800S is the single best bike ever, that any place that the other new F-models diverge from its brochure highlights is a mistake". But I am not the only one that likes the S, or the ST for that matter. See http://www.fastbikesmag.com/page/fastbikes?entry=staff_bikes_charlie_s_bmw2; here http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=168110&posted=1; here http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=15722&highlight=f800+battery; and here http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/bikes/news/display.asp?Id=850

4. Shaft drive shines in the dirt... That's funny." I thought they did fairly well all those years of PD, and you ride one, don't you?

5. You have been way more than "a bit combative as of late" on this thread; http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=358354&postcount=1. I for one cannot accept what you say there, as an apology for some of your comments here; smiley face(s) or not.

1. All I said was "I consider it quite unfortunate that the engineers also cheapened out the GS with that chain and that steel tube trellis frame." You blew that way out of proportion.

2. I love both the GS's and if I can swing the funds, I may add one to the S. But the frame is more than 10 lbs; you can add most the weight missing from the lighter wheels to that frame, as well.

3. I am not convinced "the F800S is the single best bike ever, that any place that the other new F-models diverge from its brochure highlights is a mistake". But I am not the only one that likes the S, or the ST for that matter. See http://www.fastbikesmag.com/page/fastbikes?entry=staff_bikes_charlie_s_bmw2; here http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=168110&posted=1; here http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=15722&highlight=f800+battery; and here http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/bikes/news/display.asp?Id=850

4. Shaft drive shines in the dirt... That's funny." I thought they did fairly well all those years of PD, and you ride one, don't you?

5. You have been way more than "a bit combative as of late" on this thread; http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=358354&postcount=1. I for one cannot accept what you say there, as an apology for some of your comments here; smiley face(s) or not.

Welcome to the tango. Yes, you were the very willing partner in this. I have been a bit too interested in being "right" in this chat, as have you, but that doesn't mean I'm not. :D

I love my GS but that doesn't mean its perfect or that anyone that doesn't think its the greatest bike is any way impugning my character. It's just a bike.

Oh...yeah... stepping away from the computer... :wave

(sniped) I consider it quite unfortunate that the engineers also cheapened out the GS with that chain and that steel tube trellis frame.

Don't be quick to blame the engineers for being cheap.

Spare frames are great on the road but don't handle the dirt well because of their rigidity, they tend to develop stress cracks and fracture at an unacceptable rate. The core decision in this case is the right application for the use.

The chain is simply what the market wants right now, and probably for the foreseable future, on an off road oriented bike. BMW put something on a bike that their customers wanted, damed if you do damed if you don't.

Steel does not automatically equal uacceptably heavy any more. I suspect the GS frame will be the basis for a number of the new variants to come because the trade offs between strength v manufacturing costs will allow them to do more.

Now off to get my rain gear on...:bolt

Welcome to the tango. Yes, you were the very willing partner in this. I have been a bit too interested in being "right" in this chat, as have you, but that doesn't mean I'm not. :D

I love my GS but that doesn't mean its perfect or that anyone that doesn't think its the greatest bike is any way impugning my character. It's just a bike.

Oh...yeah... stepping away from the computer... :wave

OK Mr. site manager, Knary, I can see from the additional posts that your restraint in "Oh...yeah... stepping away from the computer" is meaningless. And, if I was "the very willing partner in this" all the while YOU were the site manager that failed to manage yourself from starting the fight after I simply noted "a cheaping". You admit to such a fervor in your other post.

Whether I was "a bit too interested in being "right" in this chat" is irrelevant, again you were/are the site manager while doing so, and you admit you were "a bit too interested in being "right" in this chat", so after that... see "irrelevant". We also know what you mean by "a bit", it was not.

As I said, Mr. site manager "You have been way more than "a bit combative as of late" on this thread..I for one cannot accept what you say there, as an apology for some of your comments here; smiley face(s) or not". I also cannot accept meaningless promises about stepping away.

I say now you have a choice, you can edit your over the top retorts out, or you can take mine and yours out, but short of that, you have forever lost my respect and your management should be revoked.

OK Mr. site manager, Knary, I can see from the additional posts that your restraint in "Oh...yeah... stepping away from the computer" is meaningless. And, if I was "the very willing partner in this" all the while YOU were the site manager that failed to manage yourself from starting the fight after I simply noted "a cheaping". You admit to such a fervor in your other post.

Whether I was "a bit too interested in being "right" in this chat" is irrelevant, again you were/are the site manager while doing so, and you admit you were "a bit too interested in being "right" in this chat", so after that... see "irrelevant". We also know what you mean by "a bit", it was not.

As I said, Mr. site manager "You have been way more than "a bit combative as of late" on this thread..I for one cannot accept what you say there, as an apology for some of your comments here; smiley face(s) or not". I also cannot accept meaningless promises about stepping away.

I say now you have a choice, you can edit your over the top retorts out, or you can take mine and yours out, but short of that, you have forever lost my respect and your management should be revoked.

Because I didn't agree with your assessment of the F800GS and treated you like an adult with a sense of humor, I should lose my job? Wow! :confused:

Wow

That's amongst the most amazing things I've seen on this forum - a full on head explosion over a disagreement over chains and steel frames.

If it isn't clear, I'm writing as a member not as part of my work as the web guy for the MOA. My job description doesn't prescribe not participating in the forum. I was a member long before I took the position and I will probably, despite anyone's efforts, be a member for a long time past when my contract expires.

I urge you to take a step back, take a breath, and rethink what you've said. I didn't impugn your character or even your motorcycle (not that that should ever matter :D). You've taken some banter over a motorcycle very personally.

Wow

That's amongst the most amazing things I've seen on this forum - a full on head explosion over a disagreement over chains and steel frames.

If it isn't clear, I'm writing as a member not as part of my work as the web guy for the MOA. My job description doesn't prescribe not participating in the forum. I was a member long before I took the position and I will probably, despite anyone's efforts, be a member for a long time past when my contract expires.

I urge you to take a step back, take a breath, and rethink what you've said. I didn't impugn your character or even your motorcycle (not that that should ever matter :D). You've taken some banter over a motorcycle very personally.

1. You impugned my motorcycle by claiming a bike with 80-100 lbs of more weight and the same or less HP was faster. :nono

2. You impugned me by member and as web guy for the MOA going over the top and admitting you have been over the top as well.

3. You are so over the top you can't see how wrong you are. I have been a member of MOA for 26-27 years, and a member of this forum 1.5. Maybe I should leave it and report you to a supervisor as the reason why!

You are so over the top you can't see how wrong you are. I have been a member of MOA for 26-27 years, and a member of this forum 1.5. Maybe I should leave it and report you to a supervisor as the reason why!

Wow.
Dude.
Let it go.
Look were you are seated.
Look around the room.
There is no one there.
You are arguing with text on a screen.

Scary.
Go for a ride.
Change the channel. Something!

BMW claims F650GS at US dealers 08/19/08

FYI--if you believe press releases [delivered 5pm 08/19/08]

THE 2009 F 650 GS ARRIVES AT U.S. BMW MOTORRAD DEALERS
08/19/2008

BMW's All-New Entry Level Model Makes its Debut with a Twin-Cylinder Engine
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - August 19, 2008... Tame the urban jungle or take the road less traveled! After much anticipation, BMW's sophisticated new addition to its entry level model lineup -- the 2009 BMW F 650 GS -- has arrived at U.S. BMW Motorrad dealers.

With its 71 hp, torquey twin-cylinder engine, the all-new 2009 F 650 GS offers more power and sophistication than its single-cylinder predecessor. Ideal for on- or off-road riding, urban commuting and any rider looking for a fun, efficient and reliable motorcycle, the middleweight twin tackles anything the ambitious motorcyclist could throw at it. Its rigid steel tube trellis frame, double-sided swing arm and chain drive offer reliability. A low seat height and narrow design make navigation through the worst traffic a breeze. Cast aluminum wheels and telescopic forks keep the ride smooth and precise at all times.

The 2009 F 650 GS has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $8,255 (excluding freight). The Standard Package, offered at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $9,760, (excluding freight) includes heated hand grips, Anti-Lock Brakes, an on-board computer, and white turn signals. The 2009 F 650 GS is available in three colors -- Flame Red, Iceberg Silver Metallic, and Azur Blue Metallic.

The F 650 GS is the newest addition to BMW's dual-sport line up. It follows in the footsteps of the highly acclaimed R 1200 GS - which traces its roots back to the early 1980s when BMW won the grueling Paris-Dakar rally four times with its trailblazing dual-purpose R 80 GS. Since their debut in 2004, the versatile R 1200 GS and its rugged companion, the R 1200 GS Adventure, have earned praise from motorcycle enthusiasts and the press for their exceptional performance both on and off the road.

The R 1200 GS has earned award after award, including Cycle World's Best Open Class Street Bike and the International Journalist's Panel "Best Bike in the World." The R 1200 GS Adventure was named "Best Adventure Bike" three years in a row by editors of Motorcyclist Magazine.

BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models, X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and X6 Sport Activity Coupes. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 82 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Last edited:
Here's mine being put together ..

0820NewBike006.jpg

0820NewBike005.jpg

0820NewBike003.jpg

0820NewBike004.jpg

0820NewBike003.jpg

0820NewBike002.jpg

It came to life for the first time at the first push of the starter.

0820NewBike001.jpg

We are picking up my wife's new F650GS on Friday.

It's also red.

I think I'm actually as excited as she is plus I'm not in trouble any more for selling her HD Sportster 883 Low Custom!:clap

Back