• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'09 F650GS twin

This is my 1st post as a proud new owner of a soon to be arriving F650 GS! I'm extremely envious seeing those pics but also hopeful that mine will be arriving soon. Unfortunately I have to drive 300 miles to pick it up but it will be well worth it.:nyah

Mine will be silver and loaded with everything but pressure monitor.

I've been lurking for a while but glad to be here now.

F650 Gs

I am also waiting,and have been told mine is on the truck. My dealer says on Friday. I will wait and see. I plan on leaving next Tuesday to circle Lake Superior. It would be nice to take a new Bike.

I'm not counting on anything I'm reading. The BMW press release said the 19th, and some of you in the west are claiming delivery. But even though my dealer is two hours from New Jersey with my VIN and dealer allotment printout in hand, no bike as of today. :-(

Fred
'07 R1200R
'09 F650GS

New GS 650

Fred,
My dealer made a mistake. I am not going to worry about the GS anymore. I will be taking my Vstrom to circle Lake Superior. The GS should be waiting by the end of September.

Got the wife's new '09 F650GS on Friday. She put over 900 miles on it over the weekend at Gina's BMW in Iowa City, IA.:clap

Red, low bike with low seat. Too short for me to ride, but I'm sure I'll try.

Even had the run in service done on Saturday so she's good to go.

She likes this bike MUCH mor ethan her prior HD Sportster. She is looking forward to the taller windscreen. Freeway speeds were a problem for her. Other than that, it rides very well at all speeds, very smooth and plenty of power.

Averaged close to 60 MPG over the 945 mile trip.

Now we have to get her a BMWMOA membership.:deal

Where are they

Call me a skeptic, but the bikes have not hit any dealer that I have contacted in Tennessee, virginia, maryland or georgia. So where are they? People keep taking delivery, but no one has see one yet. Help me out on understanding.

Bruce

I pick up mine tomorrow (8/26/2008). I would have taken delivery last week but lots of family activities precluded riding.

Call me a skeptic, but the bikes have not hit any dealer that I have contacted in Tennessee, virginia, maryland or georgia. So where are they? People keep taking delivery, but no one has see one yet. Help me out on understanding.

Bruce

Can't help, but I sat on one at Bob's BMW last Friday. They expected to get their demonstrator in first, but a customer's bike showed up instead. They expect to get the demonstrator in this week.

Bruce

Got mine from Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg, VA on Friday, Aug 22nd. They've sent two out the door now--another red one went out Saturday.

P1020240.jpg

In NC ...

Bruce

Bruce:

I rode one @ dealer Greensboro NC this past Saturday 8/23.
red, lowered suspension, lowered seat.
Still available when I left the showroom.

Jim

Software.....

'09 F650GS - 798 cc, 71 bhp @ 7000 rpm, 55 lb/ft @ 4500 rpm
'09 F800GS - 798 cc, 85 bhp @ 7500 rpm, 62 lb/ft @ 5750 rpm

Does anyone know what BMW does to reduce the power in this engine? The displacements are the same in the two models. Apparently for no extra charge, the BMW dealer will even reduce power to 35 bhp or thereabouts.
Fred

I believe it is just "magic" in the engine control software (aka firmware) and is reversible. I understand that this feature was created as newly licensed riders in parts of the UK are restricted to riding bikes with output of less than that ~35 BHP for a certain amount of time.

If true, I have to hand it to BMW for this as it is a great way to provide a free "upgrade" path for new riders

Jim

PS: I road a lowered-with-low-seat F650GS last wkend for probably 30 miles and was surprised that even with the thinner seat my rear-end was NOT complaining at the end of the ride. I have heard (but of course can not validate) that the seats do "break-in" to some degree and feel better after some weeks of riding...

Ride safe

Well thank you to all those who wrote that they have actually taken delivary. I can't wait to get mine, but so far, Tennessee is barron of 2009 f650 gs bikes. Oh well, you all have a great ride. I will see you when I see you

Bruce

Mine's on the way!

Just got a call from my dealer saying he's received confirmation that it shipped from Jersey yesterday.:dance

Hoping to pick it up next Wednesday now.

178 Miles Per Gallon

0826NewF650GS015s.jpg

Removed side case so you can see big muffler. Bike has a snarl sound.

Picked it up this afternoon. Neatest feature is continual readout of mpg the bike is getting at any moment. Coasting down hill I got it up to 178 miles per gallon. :laugh

0826NewF650GS015s.jpg

Removed side case so you can see big muffler. Bike has a snarl sound.

Picked it up this afternoon. Neatest feature is continual readout of mpg the bike is getting at any moment. Coasting down hill I got it up to 178 miles per gallon. :laugh

You look great along that pretty GS with its great "rumored to be upgradeable" engine, Paul. Enjoy.

I have that same "instant" mpg on my F800S a year plus (also has average mpg, speed, and a host of other functions) and I use it all the time. Not to outdo you though, I have maxed out the "instant" mpg at 199, streaming downhill on AZ 87.

I changed my mind

A F650GS (not the one I ordered) and a F800GS arrived at the dealer yesterday, both not sold in advance. I got on both. Reconsidered all my research. Awww.... I changed my mind and bought the F800GS.

If anyone wants a red F650GS without ABS or computer on the floor now, or the silver F650GS with ABS and computer that I abandoned, contact Matt at the BMW dealer in Mechanicsburg PA.

Fred
'07 R1200R
'09 F800GS (minor change)

I got on both. Reconsidered all my research. Awww.... I changed my mind and bought the F800GS.

What was it that made you change your mind? I sat on both at the MOA rally and couldn't tell that much difference, but I didn't actually ride either.

What was it that made you change your mind? I sat on both at the MOA rally and couldn't tell that much difference, but I didn't actually ride either.

I plan to use the bike for bashing around in the mountains of central PA, and I decided to go all the way with the suspension and front forks of the F800GS rather than the milder F650GS. I even am having the factory-installed street tires removed in favor of a set of Conti TKC80s. After all, I already own a street bike.

Fred

Back