• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any Tips for steering head bearing replacement?

KCinSB

I have homed in on the problem that causes a low speed bar wobble, the steering head bearing has a worn spot. So now I'm going th replace it. If there is an easy and a hard way, I'm hoping to go the easy route :p . I have a book, and I'm not worried about getting this done, just interested in "Dos and Don'ts". KC

I have homed in on the problem that causes a low speed bar wobble, the steering head bearing has a worn spot. So now I'm going th replace it. If there is an easy and a hard way, I'm hoping to go the easy route :p . I have a book, and I'm not worried about getting this done, just interested in "Dos and Don'ts". KC

Assuming this is a K-bike, the process can be pretty straight forward. If your bearings are notched (that worn spot) then you will need to change both top and bottom bearings. The inner race of the top bearing comes out as you disassemble the fork head. The the inner race on the bottom is pressed onto the lower triple clamp shaft and is best taken to some one (local dealer?) who can pull it and press on the replacement with the correct tools. There is a metal dust cover that goes between the bottom inner race and the triple clamp - get a new one of those because the old one will likely be damaged when the bearing is removed.

The outer races can be tapped out of the fork head if you have a long rod or tool that can catch the inner edges of the races. There is a land (edge) with gaps in it that the races seat against. With the proper tool you can catch the exposed edge of the race (going at the top race from blow and vice versa) and tap it out (go around the race to move it evenly). I put the new races in the freezer (in a plastic bag) overnight and then use one of the old outer races to tap them in.

A K75 has some other steps because of the FluidBlock internal damper.

Back