• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Butt Pad, no pad or seat upgrade?? What is your flavour??

How do you protect your 'assets'?

• Sheepskin

Votes: 44 25.9%
  • Beads

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Airhawk

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Extra padding in my pants...don't ask.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Corbin

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Rick Mayer

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Russell

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Cee Bailey

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other, let me tell you

Votes: 28 16.5%
  • I don't need no stinkin' butt protection!

Votes: 24 14.1%

• Total voters
As you can see from the posts, should have had Sargent on the poll.

It's percentage beats all other aftermarket seats.

It's what I sit on also.

Last edited:
I use the Wunderlich seat on my GS and it's fantastic. I can very comfortably go the 200 plus miles between fill ups.

I have a custom seat to gain some leg room. It raises me up and pushes me back a bit. I also put a sheepskin on in the winter. My Gerbing Union Ridge heated pants are a little slippery on the leather and the sheepskin helps with that.

My K100RT had a Corbin on when I bought it. It was too tall and uncomfortable. Went Sargent, now I can flat foot the bike and it is much more comfortable. I might try a sheepskin. On my old Yamaha I had a gel pad that helped a lot, but would be to tall a the K bike.

I'm glad you asked!

I am looking for an "assets" solution! I broke my tailbone in February (at the annual motorcycle show in Chicago) and ever since riding started this spring, I have not been comfortable. I currently have a gel pad under my sheepskin. It helps but does not solve my problem.

When I sit on my F650, the seat hits right on my tailbone. If I move back on the seat, which feels much better, I tend to slide back down to where I am supposed to be. Any suggestions?

Please help me save my arse on the way to Gilette! Sunday I drove about 250 miles and I felt like I couldn't get off the bike when I arrived home.

MotoJoe's wife

Last edited:
The Airhawk pad has made a great difference in riding comfort since placing it on my CLC. My butt used to get uncomfortable after 45min or so. The Airhawk lets me ride until I need to fill up (about 160 miles), with no discomfort. Having talked to many long distance riders over the last 5 months I feel a custom seat is most likely the best option but the relatively low cost of the Airhawk and the comfort it provides make it a bargain at least in my case. Ride Safe :D

When I sit on my F650, the seat hits right on my tailbone. If I move back on the seat, which feels much better, I tend to slide back down to where I am supposed to be. Please help me save my arse on the way to Gilette! Any suggestions?

I remember Peter Eagen writing a few years ago that the only bike in his stable he could comfortably ride while recovering from a lower back injury was his R100RS. He thought the benefit was due to a combination of shifting some of the weight off his spine and being able to stretch his back out a bit.

Perhaps a less upright, more forward position (sport bike style -eek! ) might be just your ticket.

corbin

A few years back I bought a 93 K75 that came with a corbin . This seat looked so great on the bike that I never took it off, but after 45 minutes my butt hurt so bad that I had to ride side saddle to releive the pain. The last few years I have been riding a 98gs with the stock seat. I made the usual adjustment and I was getting by. After reading some of these threads and knowing I was to imbark on a 7 day trip I got hot on buying another seat. I found a corbin from a MOA brother and got it last week. With a wicker type underwear, leather pants and this seat I have been able to do a 4 hour run with no problems. The stock seat would cause my inner thighs to be tender, but not so with the corbin. The corbin still feels very firm when I sit on it but I have more room to move my butt around . Like others before me have said, you have to find what works for you. Have you folks read the July issue ,that just came in the mail for me, Mac's 1,000,000 miles on BMW's. Note that he use's a sheepskin seat. MMMM maybe I'll try it next:bolt

Keep smiling
Max/Michigan

Airhawk...

I enjoy my Airhawk so much, that I'm soon parting with my custom Bill Mayer saddle- in favor of the stock seat + my Airhawk pad.

YMMV

Rick gets my vote. I go an easy 360 miles fill up and do it again. It probably helps being 6'4". And the peg lowering kit will help even more I hope.

Rick gets my vote. I go an easy 360 miles fill up and do it again. It probably helps being 6'4". And the peg lowering kit will help even more I hope.

The peg-lowering kit DEFINITELY helped on my bike. I'm the same height, no idea if we're the same inseam, but I find that getting my knees a few inches lower than ny hips really improves lower-back comfort.

Why no option for:

Stock seat, got rid of that very uncomfortable piece of crap Corbin>I can now reach ground without rubbing insides of thighs raw, can also use proper riding skills and actually stand on pegs that I could not do with the wide arse Corbin. The stock seat is a lot more comfortable, especially on long trips + also got stock luggage rack and doubled carry capacity.

I'm guessing you did not get your Corbin "fitted" to your body. Otherwise, you'd be singin' a different tune. I traded my stock for a Corbin and I think I could ride for hours on end without getting up from the seat.:thumb

Im still confused

Hi all

I'm still confused about all this. It seems to me on my (05) GS 12 that I have but 2 choices. Living in Boston I have to send my seat off to either Rick Mayer or Russell. I could have put money on the 2 rated companies that sort out my aching butt region being only a few miles from each other about 8000 mile round trip from where I live.
So my question to you all is why Russell instead off Rick ? or the other way round what decided it for you all ?

Lockster

My used K100RS came with a Corbin seat which by itself is fairly good but needed a bit more comfort on long rides.

Dug out the beads (Beadrider set picked up in Trenton) and they have lasted a long time, had to re-coat them with Dapthane this year as original coating was finally wearing off. I like them a lot and also carry a sheepskin to throw on sometimes.

I mix and match depending on the ride.

Dale

Other, Bill Mayer

I had Bill Mayer rebuild my stock '96 RT seat. I got his new Evolution model covered in leather. Immediately noticed a difference. After only 600 miles I'm feeling it breaking in nicely. It's been pretty rainy this spring so the miles are adding slowly. I tried Sargent. While my SO reported the back seat to be an improvement I wasn't quite satisfied with the front. We tried a sheep skin first and found it to be only a little better than stock.

Recent Review of Sargent Seats

Don't take my word for it, though 750+ mile days on my Sargent are nothing to worry over.

Read the review in the latest issue (August) of RIDER magazine. Informative article, and like it points out, you don't have to sacrifice the seat pan of your OEM mount and wait....wait....wait for your new resting place.

Give the factory in Jacksonville, FL a call - I got excellent service and delivery time from them.

Enjoy!

PS: If you happen to have a Corbin seat and are happy with it - Great! But I could pound roofing nails in with a Corbin. They originally came into being designing custom (and rather heavy) seats for choppers - all about looks, not comfort, and that attitude still permeates their product line to date.

Last edited:
oem

I've had a couple threee Corbin saddles; one heated (mmmmm!) and while I liked them, I was about equally happy w oem saddles on most of the bmw's I've owned (7 in all, airheads, oilheads and K models) The Corbin helped my wife reach the ground easier on her old 65. For me it's a matter of being able to change position; fwd, center, back, crossing one leg then the other over on really boring stretches, up on the pegs. I've "always" had a sheepskin pad for longer trips and found them plenty of help. Plus I mostly like the look of the oem saddles, and w the sheepskin it's kinda retro/classic, doncha think? so there's a little vanity involved too.:gerg

I'm 1K mi. into my first BMW (96' 1100rt); and thus far pleased w/ combination seat jacks + Alaska Leather sheepskin. Qualified by no significant long rides but commuting. The true test will come in Sept when I head N. from Portland to Canada.

I am leary of custom saddle d/t combination cost and somewhat mixed reviews. However, I'm keeping my eye on Boneyard, Ebay, etc for used deal.

-Tom

I have 3 beemers... 3 different saddles...
As needed/when needed, Airhawk (trick is to barely inflate it) w/ a Alaskan Sheepskin.
Usually, when commuting it's just the Russell.
Side car has stock saddle. For stock its ok...
The problem is I don't have a stock ass.

The Toaster gets the airhawk as well.
After 35 years that is like riding a 2"x4". :hungover

Back