• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ear Plugs (do you or don't you?)

I already have a fairly decent case of tinnitus (damn rock and roll), and I find that if I don't wear them, after as little as 10 or 15 minutes on the bike and I'll have a really nice ringing in the ears when I stop. So, earplugs. Every ride.

Tough to ride without them now...rode years without and then tried them...I am sold. I can get more distance without feeling tired from the wind noise...of course when wifey rides shotgun I wear thicker ones....hehehehee

I've got a set of Al's plugs and wear them except when tooling around
town. Plugged into the iPod they are.

Ian

They come in handy sleeping at rallies too - block out snoring, music and carnal knowledge.

Ear plug use

I always use them when doing an extended super-slab ride. Wind noise will fatigue me and my ears ring for hours after I stop riding. Short trips or slow tooling around back roads I rarely wear them.

Earplugs are great to have camping!

I wear them most of the time. I find my new Shoei RF 1000 is much noisier than the RF800. There is no padding in the ear area! Swell ventilation, lots of noise. I even talked the kid into trying them out, even though she has a Mom faring to hide behind. They worked well for her too.

BradfordBenn said:
Speak up Scott when you talk with Mark.... :stick

Mark WHAT DON"T YOU LIKE ABOUT WEARING EAR PLUGS?
:banghead

funny guys....

I've always tried the sponge type ones.

I would get a dull thudding headache when I wore them, worse than if I didnt.
Also my ears would really itch when I had them in. I would change them every stop but didn't like it.

also couldn't hear the radio as well :hide

I've had on some newer soft plastic plugs at a few shops i've been to, and may give them a try next time.

anything longer than my 40 mile commute to work, i wear them, but it is very rare that i don't have either my headpones or my ear plugs in while i'm riding, mostly just while around town or doing errands.........

I always have two or three pair in my boxes, and a pair in my pocket.. I work within 100 feet of a Launch and Catch for navy airplanes, so always have a pair handy for when i have to go outside. I retired from the Army and during my retirment physical the doctor was amazed at how intact my hearing was after a career of firing tanks and Bradlee's.. I could sleep on the top of a turret while the tanks around me were doing night fire!!

Problem I have is remembering to put them on. I usually notice about 5 minutes into a ride that I forgot, then I'm too lazy to stop to put them on.

itsbob2 said:
..... I could sleep on the top of a turret while the tanks around me were doing night fire!!

Problem I have is remembering to put them on. I usually notice about 5 minutes into a ride that I forgot, then I'm too lazy to stop to put them on.

I'm with itsbob2, most of the problem is remembering to put them in at the beginning of the ride. I survived my military career with hearing intact also. Nothing like Vulcan Live Fire in the morning to start a good day (but at a distance.)

Dave H
Colorado Springs

marK11LT said:
funny guys....

I've always tried the sponge type ones.

Also my ears would really itch when I had them in. I would change them every stop but didn't like it.

I've had on some newer soft plastic plugs at a few shops i've been to, and may give them a try next time.

What kind of "sponge types"? The yellow cylinders? Those are horribly painful evil little things. After much searcing, I found the Howard Leight Max Lite plugs work best for me. All earplugs take some getting used to. If you've never used them, and then try to use them on a 14 hour ride, it very well may hurt.

max-light.jpg

Find a local safety supply store. They should have a selection of samples of different kinds of plugs for you to try.

yep those yellow cylinders.
I didn't mind them while at work, even wore an added headset when working with stainless.

same with shooting guns.

I just don't care for earplugs, when I ride. I'm an atgatt kinda guy but we all have our personel level of protection that we feel comfortable with.

marK11LT said:
funny guys....

I don't know about that radio of yours. I could hear it from 50 feet away with my ear plugs tightly installed.

I use custom ear speakers and Max Lite's that I get from Uline in boxes of 200 for $26. Also, I use lubricant from the ear plug store. That seems to help with comfort and the itching.

On my last long ride...

I had side winds, rather brisk ones. The wind pounded my right ear on the way to the destination, and pounded my left ear on the way back. I didn't have the soft foamies in correctly, so they didn't provide much help. I also tried the waxy ones that seal your ear...yuck, no good.

I still say my primary problem is my Nolan flipup. The wind was roaring from the side directly into my ears.

So, I think the answer for me is the following:

- Try a new helmet (non flip-type, I don't benefit from that added functionality anyway.)

- Practice with the foamies (Max-lites) to make sure I get them in right.
- Try some new designs, see what works best for me.

I'm an advocate of earplugs. I don't listen to the radio, and I really don't want the wind roar, I don't care where it's from. After my last trip, it took a couple of days to get my hearing back to a reasonable level of use.

Back