• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS recalled today

Interesting. I'd believe more dealers don't want to be bothered - not that it can't be done. AFAIK - the software is actually dumped to the bike from a DVD. I think it's a case of lack of will, not lack of ability to do it.

I don't know if it is possible. I don't know if a previous version of CIP can replace a later version.
All of the SBs from BMW state that once programmed, the process cannot be reversed. This may only mean that the version present in the bike is not saved. So maybe the only way to reverse it would be to reload the earlier CIP software if possible.
I think you are right that the dealers probably don't want to be bothered with trying to reverse the flash unless they just have some personal interest in doing it.

FWIW, it's definitely possible that it can't be reverted to a previous version. I work with stuff that can only be reverted by the manufacturer. Field upgrades can't go backwards. Why? Logistics. They want all of them to have the same software and they are supposed to upgrade soon after receiving the new software.

Not exactly apples to apples, but just pointing out the possibility. I think they do it by having the test gear (GT-1 in this case) check the installed version and it's just programmed to not allow something with a lower version number to be installed.

BAD: EWS popped today . . . Grrrrrrrr!
GOOD: Right out in front of Cycle Werks in Barrington . . . HAAAA!
Thanks OU812 for b*tchin me home.
Bike should be ready . . . whenever. (That's why you have two bikes (at least)).

EWS= Everyone Will suffer.
?: Is that a smart key? A: No mine is s dumb key. That was said by WEZUL 1/2 HOUR BEFORE THE FAILURE.
Sometimes we just get lucky as where the bike goes dumb.:whistle
Glad I was there to help.:thumb

Last edited:
Safety Check!!

I had my EWS replaced on my 07 GS at the dealer on Tuesday. On the trip home I noticed both mirrors were way out of adjustment and a very bad buzz in the bars. The bike felt just plain awful, not at all like my bike? After arriving home I noticed my handlebar adjustment was way forward from normal. As I start to look at the bar adjustment and the clamps I see that one of the bolts doesn’t look tight? Sure enough NONE OF THE BOLTS WHERE TIGHT!! Now I’m pissed, I sit down and start thinking of all the things that could of happened on my 60 mile ride home. Apparently its easier to remove the triple clamp to do the EWS swap, and so the bars come off. Please don’t trust your dealer, check his work over because mine did not!!

Last edited:
Please don’t trust your dealer, check his work over because mine did not!!
I had a similar but not as critcal problem after my EWS was done at my dealer. They forgot to put one of the fairing clips in, and the bike had such a bad buzzing noise I never made it out of the lot. Now one of the fastners fell out of the fairing, and I checked the others, and got a 1/4 turn out of three of them. It's little things like this that make me lose confidence in the dealer's service department. Makes you wonder what else they are forgetting to do.

Back