• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS recalled today

Am I correct in assuming that some of the ring antenna's that were replaced in, say, mid 2007 were replaced with a new part that is still defective and thus would need to be replaced again? And what about us guys that bought a spare to carry with us? Are we potentially carrying a defective part?
Yes and yes. If the PN on your receipt doesn't end in 247, then you are carring a potentially defective part. Hopefully you can get the dealer to replace the part for you.

Same here and beware of replacement EWS rings

I don't believe in EWS.

Fred
'07 R1200R

DITTO! My EWS replacement is defective.

Just want to share one more experience w/ EWS on a 2007 R1200R. I had no issues @ 24,000 miles w/ EWS. Took my bike in for some other warranty work and was informed that my EWS ring was a campaign item so it was replaced. Within a week my bike will not start and when the ignition switch is cycled off an on again I see an EWS+caution triangle message on my LCD under the odometer however the bike then starts! Now randomly I get the EWS+caution triangle when turning the ignition off, still starting though. My dealer told me yesterday they will replace the new replacement EWS ring Aug 5th. Knowing BMW techs do not get paid (nor do I) to remove all my after market stuff that is in the way (Ztechnik windscreen bracket is a mother) for this work so I do it. Work has to be repeated and now I have little confidence in any EWS ring.

Last edited:
Howard, be very interested in the PN of the ring they installed.. if you can ask them to at least see it - and write down all the numbers printed on the side of the ring (where you can't normally see it..) that would be interesting info to know. EDIT: There is also a production date code on the side.. be interesting to get that info also.

There is also the possibility that the wiring isn't plugged in fully or something was pinched when the replacement was done... unlikely actually, but I'd hate to hear the new improved rings are going to start to give problems.

Don, Part# of the new EWS they just installed is 61-35-7-705-247. Will see if I can get more numbers like you asked for when it's removed to install EWS #3 on Aug 5.

Don, I have two regular keys and it's doing it w/ both. Haven't tried the plastic key yet, let you know

If the bike is starting, then it is not a ews ring failure. The bms-k is getting the correct signal from the key, if not it would not start period. The problem is in the BMS-K modual it self, the voltage was probably on the low side when the tech reflashed it and this is causing a software glitch. I beleive that there is a buliten for this exact fault, if you dealer is unaware, maybe find a differant dealer.

Earl

Earl, just reading LCD text on the bike regarding EWS. Bike has not started at times, it's random it seems. Not sure what voltage you're talking about but will mention it? Our dealer, from what I've read here, does pretty good.

EWS- $38.00 including tax

I've had the BMW EWS campaign completed w/ a minor glitch that has since disappeared. My bike went back to the dealer to have third EWS installed but checked out okay by the techs so a third EWS was not installed. Last Sunday a friend w/ a 2007 GS called and was stranded at a gas station some 200 miles from where I live. He managed to get someone to haul his bike home and is having a spare EWS shipped so he drive the 200 miles to the dealer here in Greenville SC.

I'm not taking any chances so today I picked up a new EWS for a spare. A good day ride for me is 400 - 600 miles so a spare makes sense to me @ 300 miles out. Not to mention on a trip to Colorado like we just did. Here some pictures of my test using a spare EWS to crank the bike. One thing for sure is that a GS is much easier to this on than a R1200R. The headlight & instrument panel have to be dropped down to access the plug on the EWS. I have a Ztechnic windscreen now and that also has to come off (not the bracket).

2757697773_856ec6ec70_b.jpg

New EWS the dealer installed a few weeks ago. Cover w/ two T-10 torx screws is removed.
2757697213_58e7fb54f5.jpg

2757700725_cbb1a9c6fe.jpg

Holding the spare key in the EWS ring to start- this works. Don't think this is necessary on a GS, there is enough room to hold the Spare EWS next to the ignition switch.
2758534860_9578849699_o.jpg

2758534716_38d4cb5528.jpg

Howard,

Was there any explaination as to what was causing the occasional non-start condition?

Looks like the EWS ring you bought as a spare was freshly minted.. 07/05/08 - although in the euro date scheme, that's probably May'08, not July.. :p

Don,

The tech just said that everything checked out and I think he hooked the bike to the computer and said there where no codes or faults. Since they looked at it again I've not had another hiccup w/ EWS in ~ 800 miles. The tech also told me I shouldn't need the spare but also agreed the price was low enough to carry one.

I wish you could have the EWS feature disabled in the bikes computer, I would go for that. Have little confidence in this technology. The bike has been so reliable at @ 25,000 miles. It's a shame to ruin that w/ a faulty electronic switch that we have no control over.

Howard

Last edited:
Don,

The tech just said that everything checked out and I think he hooked the bike to the computer and said there where no codes or faults. Since they looked at it again I've not had another hiccup w/ EWS in ~ 800 miles. The tech also told me I shouldn't need the spare but also agreed the price was low enough to carry one.
I hate mysteries like that.. if I had to take a WAG - he may have secured a connection that wasn't quite secure when they last worked on it. Just a guess.. but the way he said it wouldn't be a problem in the future makes me think he found something he'd rather not actually tell you about..
I wish you could have the EWS feature disabled in the bikes computer, I would go for that. Have little confidence in this technology. The bike has been so reliable at @ 25,000 miles. It's same to ruin that w/ a faulty electronic switch that we have no control over.

Howard
Well, you can petition BMW-Motorad to adopt my idea of a user programmable PIN# over-ride for the EWS in case it craps out. That could be done with a few lines of software and a reflash of the ZKE module.

The way it would work is:

- When the EWS system IS working - the user could select to program in a PIN# using the turnsignal buttons or something like that (left +, right -, cancel - set..)

- If the EWS triggers - the user could over-ride it using the same controls and entering the PIN# (a 4 digit pin would seem good enough - it's good enough for banks..) Once entered - the PIN would allow starting the bike. Each time the bike was stopped - the PIN would have to be re-entered.

This would enable BMW to keep the "passive" nature of the anti-theft (I believe required now by euro insurance regulations), and let the users have a fallback in case of problems.

WIN-WIN I think.. anyone know anyone at BMW-AG-Motorad? They can have the idea for free and even claim they came up with it.. :buds

Agree with your WAG! I like that. BigAdv mentioned in an earlier post about low voltage when the tech flashed the BMS-K. Don't know what any of that means but could have caused the glitch as BigAdv put it.

Agree with your WAG! I like that. BigAdv mentioned in an earlier post about low voltage when the tech flashed the BMS-K. Don't know what any of that means but could have caused the glitch as BigAdv put it.

It is well-known in the automotive world that low battery voltage or fluctuations during a re-flash can create glitches. In fact, lab-type power supplies are becoming available to ensure a steady high-quality voltage during re-flash. Since our hexhead bikes are using control systems with the same technology as cars, this seems to apply here.

It is well-known in the automotive world that low battery voltage or fluctuations during a re-flash can create glitches. In fact, lab-type power supplies are becoming available to ensure a steady high-quality voltage during re-flash. Since our hexhead bikes are using control systems with the same technology as cars, this seems to apply here.

BMW (motorcycles) requires a charger be attached to the bike's battery during the GT-1 operations. The charger supplied cost the dealer something like a thousand dollars and is very nice indeed. Even has a digital readout of the voltage being maintained. BTW, when the GT-1 is doing a reflash, the battery voltage is displayed on the screen for monitoring and should be warning enough if the voltage falls too low.

Picked up a new GS on Saturday. They replaced the EWS ring before I picked it up.

Actually, have ridden lots of different bikes, I'm always pleased and amused when something gets fixed before its broken. So, yep, I aguess I'm pretty happy about it. I like my dealer a lot, so I like to bring it up when they (and BMW) do the right thing.

I guess its not a particular miracle, I just thought I'd bring up they are replacing them before delivery now.

I'm still knocking wood, this is my sixth BMW and I have yet to be stranded by one. My luck continues...

FWIW -

Got a call tonight from my good bud, Sweet Pete, in LA. Stopped for gas on his ride home from work, on his 2007 GS (8K), and experienced EWS failure. Told him he was dead in the water, and to give BMW Roadside Assistance a call.

Simply said, he's not happy....:bottle

J.K. :wow

Picked up a new GS on Saturday. They replaced the EWS ring before I picked it up.

I guess it matters which dealer you purchase from. When I bought my RT, I was told I had two warranty recalls on my bike. They told me they would satisfy the recall at my 600 mile service, which I assured them would be in a matter of a few days. Now here I am getting ready for a trip, and was checking to see if the EWS Ring was one of the recalls, but they did not give me any paperwork except for the 600 mile service. I called, and was told the EWS Ring was replaced, as well as loading a new update. I guess it was kinda on me also, as I was excited to get the bike, so I just asked if it was anything that would leave me stranded. I was told NO. Now, as a new BMW owner, I am learning many things, and it really pisses me off that I could have been stranded because they were in such a hurry to sell the bike, that they were going to take the risk of me getting stranded just to get me on the road. Lesson learned, DO NOT ACCEPT A NEW BIKE WITH PENDING WARRANTY ISSUES.

This dealer has lost a few points with me in the way they not only handled my service, but the way they performed it. I had to re-adjust the valves 200 miles after my 600 service. BTW, reason I did not take it back is that they are 240 miles away. Not worth the effort, just did it myself, and to my standard.

Back