• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS recalled today

Ring Failure 6/27/08

SCENARIO
102 degrees F in Western New Mexico and Oklahoma on 6-27-08. I could feel the heat from the oil cooler as I rolled down the road at 85-90 mph playing with the trip meters. When we stopped for the ST 1100's in the group that needed gas in Hugoton Ks., I got the dreaded EWS failure. 13,200 miles on the ticker, so I thought I was past that particular gremlin. BMW 24 hour assistance wanted to flat bed me back to Co. Springs. 287 miles away...the wrong way for me.
After about an hour I bought a bag of ice and laid it on the module and within five minutes the bike started.
It still took me two days and another 1k to get home. No problems after that one shocker, but I'm left wondering about that module sitting right there getting cooked by the oil cooler.
As for service bulletins, Hopkins Hitching Post in Mn was clueless and rude, according to my buddy who was dealing with them via his phone (while I was dealing with BMW Ass.). I realize Friday afternoon was about to turn into Friday evening for them, but clueless and rude is a bad combination.
Co. Springs BMW was extremely helpful, but powerless. I knew there was no workaround, but called to see anyway... So KUDO's to Larry in the service dept. I'll be calling him on Tues.
For a bike made to go to lots of out of the way places this is unacceptable. This piece of unneccesary bling is just a set for a failure.
Anyway I hope this might help someone else, who may be in the same boat.
Poor solder connections? No lead in the solder. Lots of theory's abound. I just remember BIG HEAT washing over the module for about 4 hours...
I'd really like to talk with a regional manager about "IF" they are going to solve this problem. I guess the first call is to the dealer...
Oh yeah, the newly installed fuel strip doesn't work worth a sheet either :cry
Good Luck!

Sanders

P.S. On the positive side of all this, Don from Hugoton showed up at moments notice with a call from the BMW MOA Anonymous book. He was willing to hold the bike for me until I could arrange to pick it up. Which could have meant weeks.
On the negative side, one of the ST 1300's got a flat 5 miles out of town and I was forced to abandon the group, and run for Dodge City, as I was not going to shut down the GS. One of the guys deployed an umbrella, which I will be adding to my kit. Had to be nice working in the shade at 100F :buds The ST kept spitting out the stop and go gummy worms. The fellow with the umbrella had the red gummy's for auto's and after the third attempt with the blacks, they gave up and used the reds. First time and they took. He never lost any pressure after that. We stopped at an auto zone and bought more reds for the rest of the trip home.

Addendum to first message

EWS today at home in the garage. Bike is on its way to Moon Motors as I type. Looks like no riding this weekend...
And I'm off of work :cry

At the dealer today when I asked him about the EWS he said it was a concern for my machine and he will replace it under warranty. The thing is BMW is not calling this a recall they call it a service bulletin. There has to be some legal issue with the service bulletin/recall mumbo jumbo. If your machine lets you sit they'll fix it free of charge after you push/pull/carry or drag it from wherever it un-convenietnly left you sit.

Contacted my dealer (Nicks BMW - DePere, WI) over the weekend to request clarification as to whether I needed to come in with my '05 R1200RT.

He called me back today, having received the notification from BMW and cross-checking all customer's VIN's.

My bike is OK - no need for replacement EWS antenna.

Contacted my dealer (Nicks BMW - DePere, WI) over the weekend to request clarification as to whether I needed to come in with my '05 R1200RT.

He called me back today, having received the notification from BMW and cross-checking all customer's VIN's.

My bike is OK - no need for replacement EWS antenna.

I think the bad rings started with the build date of about 8/06. So the '05 and '06 bikes are probably not in the VIN range.

My new EWS is ordered, and when it comes in, it'll be installed.

Fred

P.S. Hey! I'm a believer after all.

Last edited:
EWS recall

I just purchased my 2008 RT and dropped it off for the 600 mile service, I didn't look to see if mine was on the list yet. But the dealer Champion BMW of Charleston S.C. called to let me know they had done the up date to ensure I wouldn't have a problem on our 2000 mile vacation next week. Thats what I call SERVICE!! Randy (Mgr) Awesome and thanks.:thumb

I just purchased my 2008 RT and dropped it off for the 600 mile service, I didn't look to see if mine was on the list yet. But the dealer Champion BMW of Charleston S.C. called to let me know they had done the up date to ensure I wouldn't have a problem on our 2000 mile vacation next week. Thats what I call SERVICE!! Randy (Mgr) Awesome and thanks.:thumb

Good For You! Glad to hear of dealers like that out there in the World.

I get similar treatment from Nick's BMW of DePere, WI.

They treat my ownership of an R1200RT more like a partnership, than just a sale in their business ledger.

Now........ if they'd only volunteer to make payments?!

Ride Safe!

Can you visually determine if your bike has that EWS crap? What to look for...Other than the dealer's phone number? I have a concern for my 2007 F650GS manufacture date of 02/07, but the VIN numbers don't match those in the table shown earlier in this thread.

Can you visually determine if your bike has that EWS crap? What to look for...Other than the dealer's phone number? I have a concern for my 2007 F650GS manufacture date of 02/07, but the VIN numbers don't match those in the table shown earlier in this thread.

F650GS does not have the EWS feature.

I have the R1200GS - 2008 with 7,000 miles.

My numbers are ZU44157 listed as a "facelift GS"

Not sure what that is but it looks like mine has a bad one...

Comments?

What if my dealer says it won't be fixed until it goes bad...then it will be covered? Can I go to another dealer and ask that it be replaced?

Help...

I have the R1200GS - 2008 with 7,000 miles.

My numbers are ZU44157 listed as a "facelift GS"

Not sure what that is but it looks like mine has a bad one...

Comments?

What if my dealer says it won't be fixed until it goes bad...then it will be covered? Can I go to another dealer and ask that it be replaced?

Help...
Is this hypothetical? HAS your dealer said this?

If so - call BMW-Motorad (the number is in your owners manual.) If not - why ask? Your VIN is in the range of bikes included..

R 1200 S Check

I'm new to this forum, and I've read thru the threads and find them very informative on this issue.
The great part of an owners forum, is this sharing of information!

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/eblast_images/recall.jpg

From this link I understand that R1200S VIN's that are affected are between
ZP 30372 and ZP 30516. The VIN on my 2007 bike is ZP 30233 so I presume it was manufactured prior to the dates with the bad EWS in them.
Informed comment appreciated,

I'm new to this forum, and I've read thru the threads and find them very informative on this issue.
The great part of an owners forum, is this sharing of information!

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/eblast_images/recall.jpg

From this link I understand that R1200S VIN's that are affected are between
ZP 30372 and ZP 30516. The VIN on my 2007 bike is ZP 30233 so I presume it was manufactured prior to the dates with the bad EWS in them.
Informed comment appreciated,

The EWS ring on your bike is most likely # 65 21 7 671 272 stamped on the unit front and it is not one in the campaign.

Am I correct in assuming that some of the ring antenna's that were replaced in, say, mid 2007 were replaced with a new part that is still defective and thus would need to be replaced again? And what about us guys that bought a spare to carry with us? Are we potentially carrying a defective part?

Back