• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS recalled today

I consider this good news, even though my antenna ring's been replaced twice. It must mean that BMW's got faith in the latest iteration of the device.

Where does it say EWS recall?
Do you have the full recall identification/bulletin number?
My dealer just looked up my VIN which falls in that range and there are no recalls for it.

Last edited:
Do you have the full recall identification number?

I don't know what the id number is or means.
Max sent letters out today saying BMW was recalling ALL the bikes in the above link that I gave you for the antenna ring and that it would be replaced.

I did not buy the bike from them but was told I could make an appointment to have it replaced. Sounds like a recall to me.....Max is a nice guy but I doubt he is doing this for free

Last edited:
IMPORTANT Service Recall - EWS Ring
BMW Motorrad USA today announced a recall campaign on motorcycles equipped with an electronic-immobilizer ring aerial, also known as the EWS ring. In order to correct this defect, BMW Motorrad USA will replace the EWS ring on your motorcycle at no cost to you.

.....................................................................................................................................
This was letter I received from MAX with the link and instructions on how to make an appointment.

Here it is (as I predicted about 3 days ago.. :))

IMPORTANT Service Recall - EWS Ring
BMW Motorrad USA today announced a recall campaign on motorcycles equipped with an electronic-immobilizer ring aerial, also known as the EWS ring. In order to correct this defect, BMW Motorrad USA will replace the EWS ring on your motorcycle at no cost to you.

What is the problem?

Failures of the electronic-immobilizer ring aerial have been the subject of frequent reports, particularly with model-year 2007-2008 motorcycles.

The EWS ring recognizes your ignition key. The result of an EWS ring failure is that your motorcycle will not start. Often this failure occurs without warning.

Affected motorcycles should have this repair completed without delay.

What you need to do:

Please review the affected motorcycles list below to determine if your motorcycle is equipped with an electronic-immobilizer ring. Contact the service department at your nearest MAX BMW Motorcycles location without delay. This service can take up to two hours and will covered under your BMW warranty.

MAX BMW Motorcycles has increased service capacity to accommodate these repairs.

MAX BMW Motorcycles is prepared for the volume of motorcycles affected by this recall. As the northeast's only exclusive BMW Motorcycle dealer, we have 18 technicians and hundreds of replacement parts in-stock. We are taking appointments immediately for ride-in, while-you-wait service to correct this problem. Each of our locations have comfortable customer areas and breakfast and lunch restaurants within walking distance. We suggest you call and make your appointment as soon as possible.

Service Department Contacts:

MAX BMW Motorcycles - New Hampshire
209 Lafayette Road, US Rte.1
North Hampton, NH 03862
Tel: 603-964-2877
Hours: Tues-Fri 9 AM - 6 PM, Saturday, 9 AM - 4 PM

MAX BMW Motorcycles - New York 845 Hoosick Rd.
Brunswick, NY 12180
Tel: 518-279-3040
Hours: Tues-Fri 9 AM - 6 PM, Saturday, 9 AM - 4 PM

Please note that MAX BMW Motorcycles will be closed on Friday, July 4th and Saturday, July 5th for the Independence Day holiday.

Affected Motorcycles:

=====================================================

And there is a long list of effected motorcycles.. which won't copy/paste..

Just by casual observance of the VIN's it looks like the majority of the affected units are on RT's. Not good on any bike.

At least they are finally addressing the issue. Has to be bad press with people resorting to carrying their own spare. Myself would have soon to be included.

Just by casual observance of the VIN's it looks like the majority of the affected units are on RT's. Not good on any bike.

At least they are finally addressing the issue. Has to be bad press with people resorting to carrying their own spare. Myself would have soon to be included.
I'd guess it reflects the sales of each model in the time period. I'd expect the most to be GS's, followed by RT's, followed by R's for Hexheads. Dunno on K bikes what sells the most.

It took two weeks for my dealer to replace my ring,2 hours for Max BMW looks real good to me.Happy to see the recall.Probally means a final fix.

Do you have the full recall identification/bulletin number?
My dealer just looked up my VIN which falls in that range and there are no recalls for it.

Actually it is not a recall, but a Technical Campaign. This means that the dealers are authorized to replace EWS antenna rings under warranty on the vehicle VIN range without symptoms being present. Affected vehicles are listed by VIN on the service bulletin, however a BMW Vehicle History check of your particular vehicle by your dealer is to be done before the work is authorized.
However...the vehicle history was not updated completely when I checked this morning...it is for our K12Ses as of now (06/28).

I just made a telephone inquiry to my local BMW dealership's service writer regarding the BMW EWS "campaign" and received, what I consider, an incomprehensible, or at least totally insensitive response.

Me: "Are you aware on a program BMW has to replace EWS antenna rings on certain motorcycles. My wife and I have two motorcycles that appear to be on the list of motorcycles affected."

Dealer: "Yes, there is a campaign, but we were NOT doing anything any differently as a result. The purpose of the campaign is merely to make dealers aware there might be a problem with the EWS ring of some bikes."

Me: "I understand these failures come without warning, and my wife and I each have a motorcycle that appears to be listed on the campaign notice. Can I schedule an appointment to have the old antenna rings replaced under the program before they fail?"

Dealer: NO! If an EWS antenna ring failure occurs on a bike under warranty we are replacing the EWS ring under the campaign; however, we are NOT, and will NOT be, replacing functioning EWS antenna rings even if the serial number of the bike appears on some campaign list."

Me: "What if the motorcycle is out of warranty? [My wife's '05 RT will be out of warrant in about a month.]"

Dealer: "Is it out of warranty?"

Me: "Not yet, but it will be soon. That's why I'd like to get the work done now."

Dealer: "The campaign is just to make dealers aware of the issue. It's not a recall. Where did hear about this?"

Me: "Does that matter?"

Dealer: "Yes, there's a lot of bad information out there on the Internet!"

Me: "Yes, I understand. That's why I'm talking to you. What do you recommend I do regarding the possibility of an EWS failure in light of the BMW campaign?"

Dealer: "Nothing. If your antenna ring is working, we are NOT going to replace it. Again, the campaign is just to make dealers aware of the issue. Stop worrying!"

Me: "So if this EWS antenna ring fails while we are on vacation, hundreds of miles from a dealership, what should I do then?"

Dealer: "The campaign is just to make dealers aware of the issue. Stop worrying about it!"

OBVIOUSLY NOT ALL DEALERS ARE AS SENSITIVE TO CUSTOMER SATISFACTION OR CONCERNS AS MAX BMW APPEARS TO BE.

Flummoxed to say the least!

gulfcoastbeemer (who is?.. )

I'd suggest contacting BMW-Motorad USA Monday morning bright and early. It never fails to amaze me that dealers (1) make up what appears to be their own policies on warranty claims (2) then try to bluster their way past when called on it by someone with some knowledge. You just know the dealer you're talking to hates the Internet because it has made them work harder - actually doing what they're supposed to be doing. If there is another dealership in the area you might consider taking your business there.

Just came from Cliffs cycle in danbury CT. They acknowledged a recall, scheduled an appointment for me, and treated me with the utmost respect and I did'nt even buy the bike there. They do, however, have all my business and future bike purchases from here on in.;) ;) ;)
John

EWS failure

Victim of an EWS failure. Came out to my bike to leave and it would not start. EWS failure on the LCD. Called the dealer Moon Motor Sports in Monticello, MN. They told me what it was. My 08 is obviously under warranty. Roadside assistance was dispatched and w/i 30 mins towed it the 130 miles to the nearest dealer (Moon Motor Sports). They replaced the antenna ring and after some discussion about the "re-unite" coverage (NOT) Moon Motor Sports trailered the bike and delivered it back to me the 130 miles in Wisconsin. All at no charge.

Letters

gulfcoastbeemer (who is?.. )

I'd suggest contacting BMW-Motorad USA Monday morning bright and early. It never fails to amaze me that dealers (1) make up what appears to be their own policies on warranty claims (2) then try to bluster their way past when called on it by someone with some knowledge. You just know the dealer you're talking to hates the Internet because it has made them work harder - actually doing what they're supposed to be doing. If there is another dealership in the area you might consider taking your business there.

Should not the owners of the affected bikes expect to get a letter from BMW NA? If so, then it will be harder for dealers to put-off an owner armed with such a letter.

I just made a telephone inquiry to my local BMW dealership's service writer regarding the BMW EWS "campaign" and received, what I consider, an incomprehensible, or at least totally insensitive response.

Dealer: NO! If an EWS antenna ring failure occurs on a bike under warranty we are replacing the EWS ring under the campaign; however, we are NOT, and will NOT be, replacing functioning EWS antenna rings even if the serial number of the bike appears on some campaign list."

!

Absolutely wrong. The VINs are to be checked on the BMWNA net and the rings replaced accordingly. All affected BMW bikes in the dealer stock, unsold, are to be changed before the bikes leave the dealership. Old ring antenna stock with the earlier stock #'s are to be returned to BMW. This is a "Campaign" not a recall but the effect is the same when the bike shows up at the dealership. Campaigns are to be checked for by VIN and completed. Generally, "Recalls" are where the owners are notified by mail and are the result of a safety issue.

My two local dealers' service departments claim no knowledge of any official word from BMW (no suprise), but the service guy at one of them says that he is aware of the problem with the rings and his policy is better safe than sorry, and says that if I'd like the ring replaced under warranty he'd be happy to do it.

My two local dealers' service departments claim no knowledge of any official word from BMW (no suprise), but the service guy at one of them says that he is aware of the problem with the rings and his policy is better safe than sorry, and says that if I'd like the ring replaced under warranty he'd be happy to do it.

If your dealer goes to "Motorrad" in DCSnet he will see under "What's New" the "Release of Technical Campaign-EWS Ring Antenna Replacement".

Back