• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

If you're still using film...

P

Peter_Krynicki

... are you still getting prints developed? I take a roll of film and get prints and a CD to load to SMUGMUG, but I'm starting to wonder why I get the prints. I look through them once, but now have a box filled with packages of prints that just sits there.

thanks
Pjk

Put them in an album and a generation from now those prints will be a treasure. CDs and on-line storage is fine but a real print that you can touch becomes a treasure. Just got back from a family reunion and the most popular activity was looking at the old albums of pictures.

Put them in an album and a generation from now those prints will be a treasure. CDs and on-line storage is fine but a real print that you can touch becomes a treasure. Just got back from a family reunion and the most popular activity was looking at the old albums of pictures.

That's what I miss about using digital. Yes film developing is expensive and I still haven't put all mine in albums....but if you want to, you can open an album, and show off your shots. Carrying your laptop around to show a slide show can be a pain.

Take a lesson from new grandmothers. They always manage to fit prints into a carry around album. Prints from places like Kodak Gallery are only 15 cents per print and on Kodak paper! It is more expensive to print them at home and the quality will not be as good. And then there is the price of printer ink ... ouch!

I just got my old SLR out recently, got a zoom lens, and am going to get back into the print stuff.

I have a lot of slides from my early photo days, does anyone know if there is a way of putting slides onto a disc??

There an many scanners that scan the slide directly to your computer. Then copy the images to a CD or DVD

I just got my old SLR out recently, got a zoom lens, and am going to get back into the print stuff.

I have a lot of slides from my early photo days, does anyone know if there is a way of putting slides onto a disc??

I used an Epson V200 Photo, which was only about $100 US or so. There is a carrier that will hold four slides at a time, and it takes about one minute per slide to copy. Slow, but eventually I got some 3,000 slides copied and am now working on old prints. The scanner somehow figures out if you've put in a slide, negative, b/w or color print.

That's what I miss about using digital. Yes film developing is expensive and I still haven't put all mine in albums....but if you want to, you can open an album, and show off your shots. Carrying your laptop around to show a slide show can be a pain.

Sorry Karol, but that's not the fault of digital ... we have a little Epson table top printer. Just put the memory card in the printer and we have prints for the album in under a minute. But you knew that was possible! :stick

For those with lots of slides, they can be scanned easily, either with dedicated slide scanners (Nikon makes a great one, but pricey) and even flatbed scanners today can do a credible job of scanning negatives and slides.

If you are planning on scanning a large number of slide or color film it may well be worth having it done by a photo house, not only will it save you a lot of time but they will have a higher res scanner, you need really fine resolution to scan negatives or slides since they are so small. The epson 5oo photo scanner I got is rated at 9600 dpi and from what I read that is about the minimum resolution you need. Also for slides and negatives you need a scanner that has a back-light since you have to shine light thru the film rather than using reflected light like you would a printed page or photo.

RM

You know, it's interesting.

I was the only person I know who would get his film developed and have the prints in an album, ready to view, the same day. People used to tease me about it mercilessly.

When I first picked up a digital camera, I never shot a negative again. I've printed far fewer than 1% of the pictures I've taken.

With my smugmug account, I have a photo album of all my worthwhile photos in nearly any location I visit world wide. What would I buy a photo album for? Just walk over to the computer and type in www.snc1923.smugmug.com . . . .

I used an Epson V200 Photo, which was only about $100 US or so. There is a carrier that will hold four slides at a time, and it takes about one minute per slide to copy. Slow, but eventually I got some 3,000 slides copied and am now working on old prints. The scanner somehow figures out if you've put in a slide, negative, b/w or color print.

I've got the same scanner and did a couple of test scans of slides, but that's all. Apparently you were satisfied with the results if you did 3,000 slides!

Personally I much prefer the digital age, with kids it's hard to get the "right shot" so I can take 20-30 of them and not worry about it then print the 1 I want for my album. I'm with y'all though in that I do always print the good ones for an album for that "touch" factor.

A couple of things to think about...

1) If you do have albums and albums of older photos/slides....I highly recommend taking them and having them scanned into Digital. God Forbid that it happens but if a fire/natural disaster occurs, you can replace the furniture/stuff but the memories and treasures as y'all put them you can't so digitalize them and store them somewhere offsite.

2) Walgreens is great for sharing prints as you can upload them to their website and have them printed in any store anywhere. Then just email/call your folks/friends/etc and tell them to stop by on the way home and pick them up!!! Great service and the grandparents love it for their albums!

Have fun and be safe!

I was the only person I know who would get his film developed and have the prints in an album, ready to view, the same day. People used to tease me about it mercilessly.

When I first picked up a digital camera, I never shot a negative again. I've printed far fewer than 1% of the pictures I've taken.

With my smugmug account, I have a photo album of all my worthwhile photos in nearly any location I visit world wide. What would I buy a photo album for? Just walk over to the computer and type in www.snc1923.smugmug.com . . . .

So that was you! Well Damn, small world my Dad used to tell me stories about this guy who......:stick

RM

Same experience here. Family across the country can see what we're up to easily, without having to mail prints.

Scanning the thousands of slides and prints we have will be a major, but important project for us, I think. Some of the slides haven't been on a screen in three or four decades. :(

Just last year I had my OM1 overhauled and started up with film again. Just the camera, a 24mm lens and no motor. I don't know it it's the film or the feel of a camera I've had for 30+ years, but my composition is better and my edge for the decisive moment is still there. Sadly we moved into our new house this week, and I donated all my darkroom kit to a local charity. I really miss the smell of rapid fix and stop bath.:cry

On a different digital / film twist, one of the guys I travel with carried a digital camera but no computer. When I asked him what's the point, he explained that he just goes to CVS or some other drug store with those self-serv kiosks and prints off what he wants. He gets an archived cd burned of the whole card along with his selected prints. He then reached into his suit case and handed me a small flip album of some great memories. I can't begin to tell you how cool it was to flip real pages with real prints.

I have a medium format Mamiya 645 I use for photo. No batteries required and the prints are outstanding. Because of the medium format, I take the slides (usually black and white) to a photo imaging place and have them scanned to disc and the good ones I have them make large prints.

In the same bag I carry a Canon 20D digital that I use as my light meter for the Mamiya and it also does a good job in its own right. When you add in the zoom lenses and the full-size tripod (the Mamiya weighs a ton by itself) your carrying around some weight.

Just last year I had my OM1 overhauled and started up with film again. Just the camera, a 24mm lens and no motor. I don't know it it's the film or the feel of a camera I've had for 30+ years, but my composition is better and my edge for the decisive moment is still there. Sadly we moved into our new house this week, and I donated all my darkroom kit to a local charity. I really miss the smell of rapid fix and stop bath.:cry

On a different digital / film twist, one of the guys I travel with carried a digital camera but no computer. When I asked him what's the point, he explained that he just goes to CVS or some other drug store with those self-serv kiosks and prints off what he wants. He gets an archived cd burned of the whole card along with his selected prints. He then reached into his suit case and handed me a small flip album of some great memories. I can't begin to tell you how cool it was to flip real pages with real prints.

I have an OM2 which is broken and just sitting around. Do you think it would be worth having it refurbished? It was the first camera I bought.

Thanks
Pjk

I have an OM2 which is broken and just sitting around. Do you think it would be worth having it refurbished? It was the first camera I bought.

Thanks
Pjk

It would likely be much cheaper to just buy another one from eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/OM-2_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsatitleZOMQ2d2 The bodies seem to be going for around $100 +/-.

I have two or three OM-2 bodies, and a big assortment of lenses. Although I have several digital cameras (including an Olympus E-300) nothing feels like the old OMs. There is something about the feel and operation of precision machinery that silicon and plastic just can't duplicate. I do use some of my OM lenses on my E-300, however.

Interesting discussion. On a recent trip we took our 'new to us' digital. 2000 pics later we have a lot to choose from. Fast to blog with. Easy to crop when needed. A lot slower shooting than the 35mm but we got instant visual gratification. The two rolls of 35mm we had got developed and put onto a disc. Expensive. I like the ability to retake a picture as needed without waiting for the film to come back. Problem is we can get so caught up in this electronic world and tend to neglect those who are most comfortable with that good ol' photo album. With a foot in both worlds, Mary and I have to make a special effort to select particular pictures for making prints. Two sets actually: one for our coffee table albums (so many we have to rotate them) and one (or whatever) for Mom, Dad, Granny, etc. Like Paul suggests, these photos will be the real treasure long after we take a walk in the snow. -Bob

Interesting discussion. On a recent trip we took our 'new to us' digital. 2000 pics later we have a lot to choose from. Fast to blog with. Easy to crop when needed. A lot slower shooting than the 35mm but we got instant visual gratification.

Any of the current generation of Digtial SLR's will eliminate the shutter delay. In my experience, they shoot a lot like to film SLR's.

Back