• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestions for best route from Mass to MOA Rally?

Strider1

Strider1
Any suggestions for a good route from Ma to WY? I'll probably stay on the super slab till I get a few states away.I'll get some maps from AAA and figure out a good route but I thought I might ask for some advice from someone here.
Thanks in advance.:beer

Hmmmm?

WEST:). Just picking on you:). You certainly have a few options and I like the North, Canada route around the north edge of Lake Superior . This would be easy for a Mass. starting point. I've done it a few times and its a wonderful ride that way. Come home the states route. Wyoming is far north, so a Canada option is not unreasonable for NE folks, imo. Passports anyone? Just got mine in only two weeks time waiting. I thought this really fast:). Randy"Polarbear"PS; NO, I did not pay the extra fee for expediting the Passport, it just came quickly:)

It depends on how much time you have. Rte. 6 was a good road across Pennsylvania when I did it in April.

I haven't gone further west than that for 30 years, so no current info here. Even so, taking the old roads that parallel the interstates is usually a good choice no matter where you are.

Thanks for the info

Well, MA is a big area to start from... No city?
Anyway...

Try this:

http://tinyurl.com/4v58ln

Back road version.

I'm leaving from N. Andover Ma. I have 4 days to get to the rally then on to yellowstone for two days .I took the Canada route last year to the BMW MOA rally in WI.I came back Through the U.P.1500 mi did it in 2 days. Difference was I was riding solo. My wife agreed to come with me this time. Last time she came with me cross country she balked at 600 mile days. I told her I'll try to keep it to 500 + per day. Route 90 Is the most direct route 2100+ miles (boring).(mapquest.)
Thanks for the come back.
Keep the shiney side up.

I like the idea of going through Canada. You could avoid going through the midwest (chicago), come down through Mn, besides it might be a little cooler.

Roc

I like the idea of going through Canada. You could avoid going through the midwest (chicago), come down through Mn, besides it might be a little cooler.

Roc
Avoid Chicago area traffic.
If going Canada route take secondaries i.e. not the 401 - deadly, literally. Going over top of Lake Superior is amazing. It's a truly rough, tough and scrappy semi-northern landscape. Fuel up when you can though! I'm considering a route across the on Chichimaun Ferry from Tobermory, ON and over Superior and cross at either Sault St Marie or near Thunder Bay. It's due west from there.

PS...PA is awesome riding but you might get distracted by the plethora of perfectly paved pathways in that state.

i'll be heading to Gillette from NY and as much as i do not want to ride I90 the whole way, it is the fastest route. i will take 4 days (500 miles a day) to get to Devils Tower KOA. the Canada route does sound interesting and avoiding Chicago would really be a plus. i had originally planned to ride the first two days of all back roads into Lima OH then jump on 90 for the rest of the trip, but as of now that plan has gone out the window. so can anhone convince me to give the Canada route a try as opposed to the riding I90?

Just came from Rochester New York to Worthington Minnesota where I live .I went to Buffalo NY to Sarnia and onto Flint MI ,then up 75 to west 10 to Ludington MI .left Buffalo at noon and was at Ludington at 11:30 PM . took the ferry across to Manitowoc WI 9:00 till noon central time . Was into Minnesota by night fall ,The next day I was home by noon , but you could be in Rapid City SD only 3 hours from Gellete Wy . Minnesota is about 275 miles and South Dakota is 410 miles but Rapid city is 350 miles at 75 mph the state speed limit .82 mph works fine ,miles go by fast
Rod

Ontario provincial parks are a treat.

The one I stayed at in Nova Scotia last August was none too shabby either. The shower house was cleaner and newer than some top tier hotels I've stayed in.

img0341bo9.jpg

dsc00753hd5.jpg

Reasons to ride Canada!

Too many to list:). I rode BC to Nova Scotia in '06, all the way across Canada and its one of my best trips ever! Less people, less traffic, sometimes cooler, gas by the Litre(con), RCMP's leave you alone, for the most part. Speed:). Anyhow, I found Canada travel easy going and friendly, even Quebec:). Don't hesitate going that way, when possible. A Passport makes life easier too, nowadays, but not required as yet. '09 is the year you need one! USA will give you the Passport speech when entering. I've gotten a few speeches recently crossing Mexico and Canada, without a Passport. They just have to do it:). Just got my Passport,btw. Randy"Polarbear"

Back