• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing Tupperware before going to the shop

1024JLC

This may be a totally silly and lame question, but has anyone remove the tupperware from their RT before going to ths shop to help cut down on hourly service cost? I recently sold my R1150RS and traded up for a R1150RT. Taking the side panels off the RS took about 10 mins max, but the RT is much more time consuming (amybe an hour shop time for removal and replacement) so I thought I would just throw the question out there and wait for a blasting about being cheap. I figure an hour of shop time could go twoards more riding gear and/or farkles.

Tks

Check with the shop first

I think most shops use a standard rate manual to figure costs. If you want 'X' fixed and the book says 5 hours for repair and replace 'X' then it may not make any difference if you do part of the labor.
Check with the shop though, it's a good idea but don't do the work if it won't save you any money.

Just my .02,
John

I for one will not bash you for being cheap. I do all my own work.

I would call the dealer and ask for the cost of the job, and then the cost for the job if the plastic is already removed. Get the savings up front.

What are you taking it in for in the first place?

Many shops charge less to do tire work if you remove and bring in the tire & wheel yourself as it saves them time which equals money. This seems like a very similar situation. A negotiation would seem to be in order.

Frugal is the word

An experienced Tech can have the RT covers off and on in less than 11 minutes. It's not going to same much removing them yourself.

Thanks for the replies, I was kind of thinking that it is already built into the job cost, but just wanted some input for the group.

Thanks

Back