• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Back from Germany

grasslander

riding the bike(s)
Well,

One heck of a trip.

First, a huge thanks to Beemerdons, GlobalRider, Stefan Knopf and franze. Wouldn't have tried this without your help. Anita agrees with me that in 28 years of traveling together, this trip was by far the most interesting and satisfying we have made to date. We will return.

IMG_3306.jpg

I learned enough German to break the ice. In Germany and Austria it was fairly easy to work in english. The Germans got a kick out of my accent free mid-western english and my very basic German skills. In Merano nobody knew any language but German or Italian except the 16 year olds. We always got a room, never went thirsty or hungry (on the contrary - we ate and drank well!), and only got lost once a day (GPS is a wonderful thing).

We had one day of real rain traversing across west Austria to north Italy. We traveled in Germany, Austria, Italy, and touched Switzerland and France. More will come to this thread as time permits.

My biggest thrill was climbing this pass 2 up with loaded bags, top box, and tank bag

Stelvio1.jpg

Passo dele Stelvio. 48+ hairpins. Not for beginners. Anita commented that she intimately knew the logo on the back of my jacket after this climb.

What a wonderful adventure. More later got to get some work done...

Last edited:
Well,

One heck of a trip.

................ We will return............................................

Welcome fellow Alp-aholic, It is one addiction you will have no desire to cure, but will be obsessed untill you get another fix.

Passo dele Stelvio. 48+ hairpins. Not for beginners

Wow, this makes Pike Peak look like childs play.We have so many wonderful places to ride, it seems rather hard to determine which one is the best. It's member like yourselves that makes it possible for others to dream and plan on seeing new places they have never been. Guess I'll jump on Big Red and take a putt around the block to cool myself off.

Keep smiling
Max/Michigan
98 R11oogs ( maybe a new gs, but for now this butt ugly duck bill for a front fender has grown on me)
98 R1200c sold
93 K75 sold
85 R100rs sold
72 r75/6 sold

hey Jim,

Glad you got some good weather! I tip my visor to you for going two up on Di Stelvio. Looking forward to hearing more about your travels.

Beautiful pics. Thanks for the post. Now I'm so jealous ... we're going to Austria but can't work in the motorcycle part. I'll just have to be content taking pictures.

Back