Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Difference between an R100T and an R100RT?

  1. #1
    --Tony AnnapolisAirhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    1,801

    Question Difference between an R100T and an R100RT?

    Anyone know what difference there is between a R100T and a R100RT? Is it just the fairing?

    I've lusted after a late model R100RT for a while, but my (R100T) bike was a pretty good deal so I have it. Great to join the airhead gang.

    I've got a Windjammer fairing from the PO, that seems heavy and looks heavy. I found a pretty good deal on a used RT fairing and frame/mounts but there is no doubt more to a conversion than that. I'm thinking lots of wiring (yikes)...

    As far as I can tell though, the diff seems to be fairing and badges (maybe rear brakes--mine is drum). I have dual front Brembos, Bing 40mm, flat/ram-air type snorkel air box, seat w/ cowling.

    Maybe better off enjoying this until I find a straight early 90's RT??
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

  2. #2
    Registered User paulj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Prairie Grove, Arkansas
    Posts
    173

    model confusion

    Check this link - http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwphotos.htm - for all the answers you might want about model variations.
    Paul

  3. #3
    --Tony AnnapolisAirhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpaul View Post
    Check this link - http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwphotos.htm - for all the answers you might want about model variations.
    Intentionally done by BMW, ya think? I've seen earlier model R100T bikes that have that on their side covers. Mine just says R100 (no T), yet a lookup of the VIN indicates an R100T (as the PO said). I also read in Dr. Ian Falloon's restoration guide that the later R100T bikes simply said R100.

    In the end, I suppose the only thing I am really concerned about it getting the 50+ lbs. Vetter off the front and replacing it with an RT. If it weighs the same, it sure looks better to my eye and I've heard decent reports about handling and MPG improvements.

    Once set, I plan to make a run from Annapolis to northern Maine, then another to repeat a 27 state, US perimeter trip I did 26 years ago in a 1969 Ford Falcon. Anyone care to join?



    Upon further review of the link provided above, looks like some diffs:

    RT 70hp, 56ft/lb torque and 9.5:1 compression, 515-525 lbs unladen weight, top speed 118mph, 0-62mph=5.0 seconds
    R100T 67hp, 53ft/lb torque and 8.2:1 compression, 480 lbs unladen weight, top speed 121mph, 0-62mph=4.6 seconds

    Both have 6.34 gallon fuel tank. The R100RT has rear disc brakes, unlike the R100T. Compression seems to be one of the not so obvious differences.
    Last edited by AnnapolisAirhead; 06-20-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

  4. #4
    shire2000
    Guest
    I think that you will find performance to not be such a big deal on an RT. The comfort of riding behind the wonderful RT fairing will far outweigh any performance differences. I have had a few RTs and can attest to the aerodynamics of the fairing. BMW created them thru thorough testing in windtunnels to develope probably the best touring fairing of it's day, if not still. The only sleeker fairing would be the RS, which is for sport touring.

    My current 1981 RT gets on average 48MPG, can attain a radar gun proven 115MPH with 2 up and fully loaded. Got a ticket last month trying to make a fast run for the last ferry of the day. Missed the ferry due to gendarme's long winded speech. He was going on about my collector's plate and riding such an "old" bike at such speed.

    As to differences, The rear disc brake is great, if you spend lots of time setting it up just right and bleeding it is a real bugger. Lots of people have converted them to drum due to easier maintenance. The fairing weighs in around 45Lbs. but once you get moving, you really don't notice it. I would suggest a set of progressive springs in the front forks and a little heavier oil - I use a weight of 7.5 and 10cc extra in each fork. Works well for me, but everybody rides differently. Experiment with it, to find what is best for your riding style.

    Once you have the RT fairing mounted, you will love it.

  5. #5
    Registered User barryg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    11,177
    Cycle World ON BMW 1974-80 has an article about the R100T. Page 78 and 79 with acouple of pictures. Good info. Your not going to find a lot of info on this bike. BMW built a touring model of the S. Came without the S fairing with standard US bars. U could add BMW and period accessories as U choose. I think BMW dropped this bike and the T replaced it. Same book has a couple articles about that bike too.

  6. #6
    TGHSMITH
    Guest
    about the only real differances between the vetter and bmw rt fairing you see is lowers that work well in the cold and rain with the bmw, the vetter is not a fifty pound fairing. I had the windjammer off my wifes r100t last year for painting and restoration, the weight differance is a coin toss, if your thinking off converting to a rt fairing get ready to toss some coins, lots of bits and pieces to get(2 mounts, new headlight glass and bezel,all the fairing pieces,) look on the max bmw's parts fisch to see everthing involved,

  7. #7
    Unregistered User dduelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N. FL
    Posts
    216
    What little I know about it is that the 100T was not sold in the US market, the 100T was a european spec bike sold until 1980 in markets other than the US. The 100T came with the two extra gauges of the RT (voltmeter and ???) set just outboard of the speedo/tach unit. I also believe they came with BMW hard bags or at least the mounts.

    Yes, a BMW VIN search shows the model as 100T in model years 81-84 but they were sold in the US simply as R100's and came without the gauge package of the earlier 100T. All 81-84 R100's ("T", CS, RT, RS) exported to the US had the same 8.2:1 compression ratio so there was no hp difference between models on this side of the pond.

    I ordered side cover decals for my bike from a dealer and the ones that came from Germany were "100/T " and did not match period brochures I have for 81-84 US bikes but did match pictures of the 76-80 100/T. I went back and ordered decals for a 100T manufactured after 6/80 and they came back correct - simply "R 100". My bike is second serial number in production month 9/80.
    Dave
    R1200RT
    ST1300
    NC700XD

  8. #8
    --Tony AnnapolisAirhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    What little I know about it is that the 100T was not sold in the US market, the 100T was a european spec bike sold until 1980 in markets other than the US. The 100T came with the two extra gauges of the RT (voltmeter and ???) set just outboard of the speedo/tach unit. I also believe they came with BMW hard bags or at least the mounts.

    Yes, a BMW VIN search shows the model as 100T in model years 81-84 but they were sold in the US simply as R100's and came without the gauge package of the earlier 100T. All 81-84 R100's ("T", CS, RT, RS) exported to the US had the same 8.2:1 compression ratio so there was no hp difference between models on this side of the pond.

    I ordered side cover decals for my bike from a dealer and the ones that came from Germany were "100/T " and did not match period brochures I have for 81-84 US bikes but did match pictures of the 76-80 100/T. I went back and ordered decals for a 100T manufactured after 6/80 and they came back correct - simply "R 100". My bike is second serial number in production month 9/80.
    That sounds about like what I've read...although I do have the guages, volt meter to the right, clock to the left. Both smaller than the Tach and Speedo. All the pieces of the RT fairing I've found are included--the PO just didn't want a fairing, but held on to it.

    I guess its just coming down to me wanting an RT fairing for the look. I ride. I won't show the bike, but do take some pride in my vehicles (mostly older Mercedes Benz). I should be happy that I have the rear drum from the maintenance side of it. I did rebuild the MC and installed new SS brake lines...stops on a dime.

    Thanks for the input.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

  9. #9
    shire2000
    Guest
    You say that you found a good deal on an RT fairing including mounts. If the price is right, then some of the other things you may need will be the wiring to remote the ignition switch to the fairing, some wiring for the Voltage gauge and the clock and the turnsignals. All pretty simple to do. Also, if you have lower handlebars, you will need to get the higher ones as well as longer cables for clutch and throttle. The rest is pretty straight forward to do.

    The RT fairing will give you better coverage than any Vetter "barn door" as it is much better aerodynamically. One great thing I found about the RT fairing with lowers attached is that in a cross wind, you can let the bike take it's head. It will automagically lean into the wind and be much more stable. You end up much more relaxed, once you learn the little things about the fairing. Over all, you will end up with a much more stable bike for long distance touring.

    BMW really knew what they were doing when they designed the RT and the RS fairings. Way ahead of their time, compared to most of the other fairing manufacturers of the era.


  10. #10
    --Tony AnnapolisAirhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    I think that you will find performance to not be such a big deal on an RT. The comfort of riding behind the wonderful RT fairing will far outweigh any performance differences. I have had a few RTs and can attest to the aerodynamics of the fairing. BMW created them thru thorough testing in windtunnels to develope probably the best touring fairing of it's day, if not still. The only sleeker fairing would be the RS, which is for sport touring.

    My current 1981 RT gets on average 48MPG, can attain a radar gun proven 115MPH with 2 up and fully loaded. Got a ticket last month trying to make a fast run for the last ferry of the day. Missed the ferry due to gendarme's long winded speech. He was going on about my collector's plate and riding such an "old" bike at such speed.

    As to differences, The rear disc brake is great, if you spend lots of time setting it up just right and bleeding it is a real bugger. Lots of people have converted them to drum due to easier maintenance. The fairing weighs in around 45Lbs. but once you get moving, you really don't notice it. I would suggest a set of progressive springs in the front forks and a little heavier oil - I use a weight of 7.5 and 10cc extra in each fork. Works well for me, but everybody rides differently. Experiment with it, to find what is best for your riding style.

    Once you have the RT fairing mounted, you will love it.
    I hope so, great look. I like the RS fairing too...just couldn't find one in my price range. In the end, I'll overspend but be happy.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

  11. #11

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    What little I know about it is that the 100T was not sold in the US market, the 100T was a european spec bike sold until 1980 in markets other than the US. The 100T came with the two extra gauges of the RT (voltmeter and ???) set just outboard of the speedo/tach unit. I also believe they came with BMW hard bags or at least the mounts.
    I usta own a 1979 R100T that had the 40mm carbs and exhaust pipes. It was definitely owned/sold in the U.S. market. I sold that bike to buy my current R1100RT.

  12. #12
    --Tony AnnapolisAirhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    I usta own a 1979 R100T that had the 40mm carbs and exhaust pipes. It was definitely owned/sold in the U.S. market. I sold that bike to buy my current R1100RT.
    Yeah, I read that 1979 was the last year they were sold as badged R100T bikes in the Norther American market. I love the bike, not sure I'll ever sell it. I would like to add a 2004 R1150RT to the mix though. Someday, someday. I'm still waking this sweet bike out of an 8 year coma though and having amazing fun doing it.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

  13. #13
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,206
    Only difference is the rear brake, drum on R100T, disc on R100RT.

    Of course other things are different to correspond with the fairing, i.e. headlight mount, ign switch mount, bars, etc., but drivetrain wise the bikes are identical save for the rear brake and wheel.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  14. #14
    --Tony AnnapolisAirhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Only difference is the rear brake, drum on R100T, disc on R100RT.

    Of course other things are different to correspond with the fairing, i.e. headlight mount, ign switch mount, bars, etc., but drivetrain wise the bikes are identical save for the rear brake and wheel.
    I read that the RT was heavier (could be the fairing), has higher compression (9.2:1 or so) and 70 vs. 67 hp --like I'd be able to tell the difference. I read that the drive train was the same though.
    1971 BMW R75/5 | 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T Cafe | 1983 BMW R100RS | 1988 BMW R100GS
    1988 BMW K75 | 1998 BWM R1100RT | 2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES |2002 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

  15. #15
    Registered User barryg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    11,177
    In the book 'BMW Profiles Motorcycles from Berlin 1969-1998' from the BMW Mobile Tradition, they have a little info. The R100T replaces the 100/7 and with 65 hp. Page 35 has a group photo of the '79 line up with the T and RT in the fore ground. Picture is black and white. I see 2 tone paint, R100T on sidecover, accessory gauges, Twin front disc, snowflake wheels, USA bars, S type seat and pan with rear rack, krauser type bag mounts and no bags, 2 piece cylinder guards. P 109 gives the specs and small picture. 5,463 number sold at DM 9290. I would add the BMW windshield set and spotlamp kit. Fork gaiters and Krauser bags. Heated grips and BMW mudflap and I'm off to see the world. Well back and forth to work anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •