Thread: Tank won't fit over new coils

rvbeemer

Tank won't fit over new coils

I just purchased a set of Bosch coils from Rick at Motorrad Elektrik. I got them and noticed that they were about 3/4" longer and when I went to put them on I noticed the O.D. was bigger so I measured them against the old one with a set of calipers. About.030" bigger on the body and 1/8" larger on the top lip. Anyway, with that said, I installed them as far back as possible and the tank will not go back on. It hits the lip on the right coil. It did hit both so I turned the clamps around and now it's just the right side. Any ideas or thoughts? All this is on a 77 R100S. Anyone else had this issue with the new Bosch Super coils?

Someone on Boxerworks had "issues" with some new coils...don't think they were the type you bought. I believe he ended up doing some surgery on the clamps. I would definitely try all combinations of the clamps - left versus right, rotate 180 degrees, etc.

Here's a picture of his situation (the top picture) and what the stock coils should look like (bottom picture). Be sure the coils are nearly touching each other in the middle.

http://www.boxerworks.com/phorum/rea...27851&t=227816
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

rvbeemer
    Thanks Kurt. My coils don't even come close to touching each other! I think maybe some larger clamps would be better as I had to use longer bolts as the body O.D. is larger. I wonder where and if I can get larger coil clamps?
    Ronnie

rvbeemer

This bike is cursed!

Well, I finally got the clamp ears bent enough to mount the right coil so the tank will clear, barely. I started the bike and it ran for about a minute and died like hitting the kill switch, which I didn't. Tried to restart but nothing. Just as I suspected, I pulled the plug and no fire. I think my Boyer ignition is fried. I'm not sure on how to check it but I have a feeling that's it. If anyone knows how to check a Boyer Electronic ignition to tell if it's good or not please let me know.
    Ronnie

You could try contacting Stan Smith at Rocky Point Cycle...he sells the product...he might have some ideas.

http://www.rockypointcycle.com/

I found this for the later model units...not sure what you have. Click on technical articles and look in the electrical section. I found it via a post to the Airheads list by Stan Smith of all people!!

http://www.oldbritts.com/ob_start.html
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Before condeming the Boyer, remove tank and check wiring. Something may have shorted or separated.
    '73 R75/5
    Never had a bad day skiing!

Coils Not Fitting

I went through the trials of h... last year with this same problem from the same source. Before I bought new coils i borrowed two different sets with no help there. In my case the coils were grouding out on the under surface of the tank after a very short time, like an eitgth to a quarter of a mile. The tech - home based - went to a hardware store and purchased a fairly firm rubberized material which he used to wrap the coils thus preventing the forward section from hitting the under surface of a /6 large tank. Problem solved and half the summer shot. Good luck. By the way this bike has an aftermarket electronic iginition and it was not trashed by the problem. I cannot recall how many times it piked out on me - at least a dozen - while I tried different mods including higher spacers under the rear two tie down bolts. Good luck.
    sport tourer

Coils

Forgot to mention above that while trying my home cures two wires did separate so be very careful there and check all the connections, which I am sure you did.
    sport tourer

new coils

I also recently installed the larger coils, bright silver, on my '74 R90S. They were, as stated, slightly larger. Shoved them back in the harness, using slightly longer fasteners, checking for any chafing of wires, buttoned it up, and vuela, an instant improvement. Of course, all the while having checked every other part of the the standard ignition, I can't be sure that coils were necessary, but it "feels" good to have new. Cheap insurance against breakdown. ANd, I love holding it wide open in third gear before catching forth.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make my picture smaller so as to down load it to the picture thread. I just don't get how these computers work. If I could just get a wrench on it!

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to make my picture smaller so as to down load it to the picture thread. I just don't get how these computers work. If I could just get a wrench on it!
    You need a program to resample the image to a lower number of pixels. I use a free program called IrfanView available at http://www.irfanview.net/. Generally, a picture size of 800x600 pixels will display with very good clarity on most computer monitor.

Not available in stores.. PAGoldsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    You need a program to resample the image to a lower number of pixels. I use a free program called IrfanView available at http://www.irfanview.net/. Generally, a picture size of 800x600 pixels will display with very good clarity on most computer monitor.
    Alternately, you can use photobucket.com to host your photos. My photos are automatically resized to 800x600 when I upload there. I have the option to upload them to higher or lower resolution as well, but since I use it pretty much exclusively as an online photo host for the purpose of posting in forums, 800x600 is perfect. Can't beat the price, either! $0.00

Not to detract from irfanview. It's a great program, and I use it exclusively for my image viewer and mild editor. Plus, as with photobucket, the price is right!!!
    I can't believe how incredulous I am.

rvbeemer

figured it out

I went out next day and removed "new" coils and reinstalled stock ones. The bike started right up but still have origonal problem. The grounds were not tight as I could not get the the clamps tight due to the larger coil diameter. I emailed Rick at Motorrad Elektrik and he said he has never heard of that problem before! Anyway, I have 2 new coils that I can't use until I find some larger clamps, Bummer! Beware of these issues if you buy these coils.

RV