• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Difference between an R100T and an R100RT?

Anyone know what difference there is between a R100T and a R100RT? Is it just the fairing?

I've lusted after a late model R100RT for a while, but my (R100T) bike was a pretty good deal so I have it. Great to join the airhead gang.

I've got a Windjammer fairing from the PO, that seems heavy and looks heavy. I found a pretty good deal on a used RT fairing and frame/mounts but there is no doubt more to a conversion than that. I'm thinking lots of wiring (yikes)...

As far as I can tell though, the diff seems to be fairing and badges (maybe rear brakes--mine is drum). I have dual front Brembos, Bing 40mm, flat/ram-air type snorkel air box, seat w/ cowling.

Maybe better off enjoying this until I find a straight early 90's RT??

Check this link - http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwphotos.htm - for all the answers you might want about model variations.

Intentionally done by BMW, ya think? I've seen earlier model R100T bikes that have that on their side covers. Mine just says R100 (no T), yet a lookup of the VIN indicates an R100T (as the PO said). I also read in Dr. Ian Falloon's restoration guide that the later R100T bikes simply said R100.

In the end, I suppose the only thing I am really concerned about it getting the 50+ lbs. Vetter off the front and replacing it with an RT. If it weighs the same, it sure looks better to my eye and I've heard decent reports about handling and MPG improvements.

Once set, I plan to make a run from Annapolis to northern Maine, then another to repeat a 27 state, US perimeter trip I did 26 years ago in a 1969 Ford Falcon. Anyone care to join?

:bliss

Upon further review of the link provided above, looks like some diffs:

RT 70hp, 56ft/lb torque and 9.5:1 compression, 515-525 lbs unladen weight, top speed 118mph, 0-62mph=5.0 seconds
R100T 67hp, 53ft/lb torque and 8.2:1 compression, 480 lbs unladen weight, top speed 121mph, 0-62mph=4.6 seconds

Both have 6.34 gallon fuel tank. The R100RT has rear disc brakes, unlike the R100T. Compression seems to be one of the not so obvious differences.

Last edited:
I think that you will find performance to not be such a big deal on an RT. The comfort of riding behind the wonderful RT fairing will far outweigh any performance differences. I have had a few RTs and can attest to the aerodynamics of the fairing. BMW created them thru thorough testing in windtunnels to develope probably the best touring fairing of it's day, if not still. The only sleeker fairing would be the RS, which is for sport touring.

My current 1981 RT gets on average 48MPG, can attain a radar gun proven 115MPH with 2 up and fully loaded. Got a ticket last month trying to make a fast run for the last ferry of the day. Missed the ferry due to gendarme's long winded speech. He was going on about my collector's plate and riding such an "old" bike at such speed.

As to differences, The rear disc brake is great, if you spend lots of time setting it up just right and bleeding it is a real bugger. Lots of people have converted them to drum due to easier maintenance. The fairing weighs in around 45Lbs. but once you get moving, you really don't notice it. I would suggest a set of progressive springs in the front forks and a little heavier oil - I use a weight of 7.5 and 10cc extra in each fork. Works well for me, but everybody rides differently. Experiment with it, to find what is best for your riding style.

Once you have the RT fairing mounted, you will love it.

Cycle World ON BMW 1974-80 has an article about the R100T. Page 78 and 79 with acouple of pictures. Good info. Your not going to find a lot of info on this bike. BMW built a touring model of the S. Came without the S fairing with standard US bars. U could add BMW and period accessories as U choose. I think BMW dropped this bike and the T replaced it. Same book has a couple articles about that bike too.

about the only real differances between the vetter and bmw rt fairing you see is lowers that work well in the cold and rain with the bmw, the vetter is not a fifty pound fairing. I had the windjammer off my wifes r100t last year for painting and restoration, the weight differance is a coin toss, if your thinking off converting to a rt fairing get ready to toss some coins, lots of bits and pieces to get(2 mounts, new headlight glass and bezel,all the fairing pieces,) look on the max bmw's parts fisch to see everthing involved,

What little I know about it is that the 100T was not sold in the US market, the 100T was a european spec bike sold until 1980 in markets other than the US. The 100T came with the two extra gauges of the RT (voltmeter and ???) set just outboard of the speedo/tach unit. I also believe they came with BMW hard bags or at least the mounts.

Yes, a BMW VIN search shows the model as 100T in model years 81-84 but they were sold in the US simply as R100's and came without the gauge package of the earlier 100T. All 81-84 R100's ("T", CS, RT, RS) exported to the US had the same 8.2:1 compression ratio so there was no hp difference between models on this side of the pond.

I ordered side cover decals for my bike from a dealer and the ones that came from Germany were "100/T " and did not match period brochures I have for 81-84 US bikes but did match pictures of the 76-80 100/T. I went back and ordered decals for a 100T manufactured after 6/80 and they came back correct - simply "R 100". My bike is second serial number in production month 9/80.

What little I know about it is that the 100T was not sold in the US market, the 100T was a european spec bike sold until 1980 in markets other than the US. The 100T came with the two extra gauges of the RT (voltmeter and ???) set just outboard of the speedo/tach unit. I also believe they came with BMW hard bags or at least the mounts.

Yes, a BMW VIN search shows the model as 100T in model years 81-84 but they were sold in the US simply as R100's and came without the gauge package of the earlier 100T. All 81-84 R100's ("T", CS, RT, RS) exported to the US had the same 8.2:1 compression ratio so there was no hp difference between models on this side of the pond.

I ordered side cover decals for my bike from a dealer and the ones that came from Germany were "100/T " and did not match period brochures I have for 81-84 US bikes but did match pictures of the 76-80 100/T. I went back and ordered decals for a 100T manufactured after 6/80 and they came back correct - simply "R 100". My bike is second serial number in production month 9/80.

That sounds about like what I've read...although I do have the guages, volt meter to the right, clock to the left. Both smaller than the Tach and Speedo. All the pieces of the RT fairing I've found are included--the PO just didn't want a fairing, but held on to it.

I guess its just coming down to me wanting an RT fairing for the look. I ride. I won't show the bike, but do take some pride in my vehicles (mostly older Mercedes Benz). I should be happy that I have the rear drum from the maintenance side of it. I did rebuild the MC and installed new SS brake lines...stops on a dime.

Thanks for the input.

You say that you found a good deal on an RT fairing including mounts. If the price is right, then some of the other things you may need will be the wiring to remote the ignition switch to the fairing, some wiring for the Voltage gauge and the clock and the turnsignals. All pretty simple to do. Also, if you have lower handlebars, you will need to get the higher ones as well as longer cables for clutch and throttle. The rest is pretty straight forward to do.

The RT fairing will give you better coverage than any Vetter "barn door" as it is much better aerodynamically. One great thing I found about the RT fairing with lowers attached is that in a cross wind, you can let the bike take it's head. It will automagically lean into the wind and be much more stable. You end up much more relaxed, once you learn the little things about the fairing. Over all, you will end up with a much more stable bike for long distance touring.

BMW really knew what they were doing when they designed the RT and the RS fairings. Way ahead of their time, compared to most of the other fairing manufacturers of the era.

:ca

I think that you will find performance to not be such a big deal on an RT. The comfort of riding behind the wonderful RT fairing will far outweigh any performance differences. I have had a few RTs and can attest to the aerodynamics of the fairing. BMW created them thru thorough testing in windtunnels to develope probably the best touring fairing of it's day, if not still. The only sleeker fairing would be the RS, which is for sport touring.

My current 1981 RT gets on average 48MPG, can attain a radar gun proven 115MPH with 2 up and fully loaded. Got a ticket last month trying to make a fast run for the last ferry of the day. Missed the ferry due to gendarme's long winded speech. He was going on about my collector's plate and riding such an "old" bike at such speed.

As to differences, The rear disc brake is great, if you spend lots of time setting it up just right and bleeding it is a real bugger. Lots of people have converted them to drum due to easier maintenance. The fairing weighs in around 45Lbs. but once you get moving, you really don't notice it. I would suggest a set of progressive springs in the front forks and a little heavier oil - I use a weight of 7.5 and 10cc extra in each fork. Works well for me, but everybody rides differently. Experiment with it, to find what is best for your riding style.

Once you have the RT fairing mounted, you will love it.

I hope so, great look. I like the RS fairing too...just couldn't find one in my price range. In the end, I'll overspend but be happy.

I usta own a 1979 R100T that had the 40mm carbs and exhaust pipes. It was definitely owned/sold in the U.S. market. I sold that bike to buy my current R1100RT.

I usta own a 1979 R100T that had the 40mm carbs and exhaust pipes. It was definitely owned/sold in the U.S. market. I sold that bike to buy my current R1100RT.

Yeah, I read that 1979 was the last year they were sold as badged R100T bikes in the Norther American market. I love the bike, not sure I'll ever sell it. I would like to add a 2004 R1150RT to the mix though. Someday, someday. I'm still waking this sweet bike out of an 8 year coma though and having amazing fun doing it.

Only difference is the rear brake, drum on R100T, disc on R100RT.

Of course other things are different to correspond with the fairing, i.e. headlight mount, ign switch mount, bars, etc., but drivetrain wise the bikes are identical save for the rear brake and wheel.

Only difference is the rear brake, drum on R100T, disc on R100RT.

Of course other things are different to correspond with the fairing, i.e. headlight mount, ign switch mount, bars, etc., but drivetrain wise the bikes are identical save for the rear brake and wheel.

I read that the RT was heavier (could be the fairing), has higher compression (9.2:1 or so) and 70 vs. 67 hp --like I'd be able to tell the difference. I read that the drive train was the same though.

In the book 'BMW Profiles Motorcycles from Berlin 1969-1998' from the BMW Mobile Tradition, they have a little info. The R100T replaces the 100/7 and with 65 hp. Page 35 has a group photo of the '79 line up with the T and RT in the fore ground. Picture is black and white. I see 2 tone paint, R100T on sidecover, accessory gauges, Twin front disc, snowflake wheels, USA bars, S type seat and pan with rear rack, krauser type bag mounts and no bags, 2 piece cylinder guards. P 109 gives the specs and small picture. 5,463 number sold at DM 9290. I would add the BMW windshield set and spotlamp kit. Fork gaiters and Krauser bags. Heated grips and BMW mudflap and I'm off to see the world. Well back and forth to work anyway. :laugh

R100T erratta

The R100T models were sold in the US market in 1979 and 1980.

As stated before, they had the same 40mm carb engine as the S, RS, and RT models. I've never seen a US model that had 40mm exhaust.

The R100T models for the US came with dual front discs, aux clock and voltmeter, chrome mounts for the aux gauges. chrome engine guards, chrome saddlebag mounts (but no bags), chrome side lift handle, aux. power outlet, that damn annoying turn signal buzzer, and the BMW windshield. They had the same /7 seat as on the '78 R80/7 and R100/7 models (i.e. chrome handrail and no seat cowl). Final drive was a drum brake set-up with the 2.91 gearing. I've never seen any BMW sheets for NA showing other than the two-tone metallic red/silver paint for '79. The '80 models were available in Metallic Red. Sidecovers on the '79 were silver, with the 1980 models being red. Sidecover decals were different for the two years. The '79 model year also had a few month sales promotion that included a Luftmeister fairing being included for the buyer, so a lot of these bikes ended up with them.

Many riders of the time thought the R100T a better "riders" bike than the R100S due to the more comfortable seat and rear drum brake.

While the R100T models were available in later years in other markets, the US saw it replaced with the R100 beginning in 1981. The '81 and later R100 models in the US were not considered T models as they did not include the BMW touring equipment package.

The next "T" model for the US was the '87 K75T, which repeated some of the above with the inclusion of the factory saddlebag mounts, BMW windshield and (as I recall) engine guards.

The earlier post about the R100T being a follow up to the 78 R100S models is correct. BMW had three R100S models in the US in '78, including one production run that came with high bars, drum rear brake, and (gasp!) dealer installed Luftmeister fairings....(cue Marlon Brando uttering "the horror"...).

Eddie

The R100T models were sold in the US market in 1979 and 1980.

As stated before, they had the same 40mm carb engine as the S, RS, and RT models. I've never seen a US model that had 40mm exhaust.

The R100T models for the US came with dual front discs, aux clock and voltmeter, chrome mounts for the aux gauges. chrome engine guards, chrome saddlebag mounts (but no bags), chrome side lift handle, aux. power outlet, that damn annoying turn signal buzzer, and the BMW windshield. They had the same /7 seat as on the '78 R80/7 and R100/7 models (i.e. chrome handrail and no seat cowl). Final drive was a drum brake set-up with the 2.91 gearing. I've never seen any BMW sheets for NA showing other than the two-tone metallic red/silver paint for '79. The '80 models were available in Metallic Red. Sidecovers on the '79 were silver, with the 1980 models being red. Sidecover decals were different for the two years. The '79 model year also had a few month sales promotion that included a Luftmeister fairing being included for the buyer, so a lot of these bikes ended up with them.

Many riders of the time thought the R100T a better "riders" bike than the R100S due to the more comfortable seat and rear drum brake.

While the R100T models were available in later years in other markets, the US saw it replaced with the R100 beginning in 1981. The '81 and later R100 models in the US were not considered T models as they did not include the BMW touring equipment package.

The next "T" model for the US was the '87 K75T, which repeated some of the above with the inclusion of the factory saddlebag mounts, BMW windshield and (as I recall) engine guards.

The earlier post about the R100T being a follow up to the 78 R100S models is correct. BMW had three R100S models in the US in '78, including one production run that came with high bars, drum rear brake, and (gasp!) dealer installed Luftmeister fairings....(cue Marlon Brando uttering "the horror"...).

Eddie

Eddie, great info thanks. I have volt, clock, annoying turn signal buzzer (which I disconnected), S-type seat with cowl. Looks like there was a rear seat rack but whan I got the bike it had a extendable Reynolds rack with a Luftmeister trunk (kinda niice thing to have actually) and a trailer hitch. Hitch, Reynolds rack and newer style Krauser sidebag mounts are all chrome. It came to me with the BMW touring panniers (large enough to fit my full face helmet inside). The seat has a push button lock, but the bike lift handle is black, not chromed. The seat itself is a very comfortable Corbin with removeable backrest for the rider.

The bike has engine guards, highway pegs, dual plugged (different size plugs), dual front discs with Brembo calipers. The forks are non-gatored. Handle bars are US (high). MC on handlebar as is the choke (left). Exhaust looks stock to me, but in excellent shape and sounds nice---I think the mufflers are Kiehan <sp>?? Air filter is a K&N, with a ramair type top (stock). I removed the emissions stuff. There are no cylinder head guards on my bike. The fairing is a Vetter with lowers and a barnsized wind/air/flying pig shield. Has a Cycle Sounds groovin' am/fm/cassette deck to play the very best Tom T. Hall on the steeeeeereo. Have to admit, with one of those casstte tapes with the wire dangling out to my ipod...its kinda nice.

if you are staying with the vetter, check under the turn signal grills they have an opening for mounting horns within the fairing. this opening was originally covered by foam sheet that most likely has gone away with age. in the 25 year reffit on my wife r100t I cut to circles of abs plastic and used abs pumbing cement and filled these for good (keeps water out of the fairing) the old tape radio was replaced with a modern unit that can use mp3 cards. new radio covers can be found through marine catalogs. ps your points in the can uses the same pionts as the vw bug (airhead vintage also) you can also clip the vetter windshield to the heigth needed. vetter has a good site for parts, carol vetter is great to deal with!!

I read that the RT was heavier (could be the fairing), has higher compression (9.2:1 or so) and 70 vs. 67 hp --like I'd be able to tell the difference. I read that the drive train was the same though.

Not correct--all USA 1000 models had the same engine in the same year beginning in 1979.

Back